SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

What's For Dinner - #311

User
13 years ago

Jim welcome back.

FOAS, interesting way to serve egg salad. Nice presentation.

Last night I grilled sockeye salmon on a cedar plank. The fish was rubbed with fresh minced garlic, olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and left for about 30 minutes, before being placed on the plank and cooked over medium high heat.

Comments (103)

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

DH is going to be away most of the week and FOASÂs post forced me to plan on indulging in something lobster-y in his absence.

We had already paid to attend a fund raising dinner tonight but we were wiped out from working at our $5/bag final day at the library book sale so we decided to stay home and relax.

Dinner was chicken kabobs marinated in a paste of buttermilk and lots of spices, rice and orzo pilaf, and a cooling Turkish shepherd salad.

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Wow! I had BLT's, definitely not picture worthy but oh so tasty. That was it. Nothing with it. Just BLT's. I wasn't very hungry cause we went to the ice cream shop and split a huge sundae this afternoon. I was soooo bad.
    But I did make 2 carrot cakes, a sour cherry pie, a fresh peach pie, homemade rolls, and cinnamon buns. Tomorrow morning I will make 2 pie shells for the tomato tarts I am serving for company this Friday (CFers of course).

• Related Discussions

SS Support 3/6- 3/11

Q

Comments (18)
    Good Afternoon, Vacation news? It was a blast. The worst thing was we had a hard time calling home to the girls. I had bought calling cards but for some reason, they were not working. I used the same ones in Jamaica and had no problem but anyway. Lots of sun, never had to leave the resort. It was all inclusive, so it was awesome. I had WAY to many banana monkeys and margaritas and came back with 5 pounds, BUT it's gone now so no problem. The girls were fine and did not get sick, DH and I did not fight, so all in all the vacation was fabulous. I have started to do "The Firm" exercise tapes. I have had the fanny lifter since Tara was born, so now I am putting it to good use. I really like them, it would be much better if I wasn't always pressed for time but thats life. Hopefully I can drop a few sizes before Easter. The workouts are tough but at the end, I feel as if I have accomplished something. DeeMarie, Have a great Vacation! Patti and Dave, I am sending loving thoughts your way. Amy, we miss you. Have you checked in lately? Tikanas & Zig, I am debating on the fast. The last one I tried I verily made it through 1 1/2 days. Giving up diet sodas for lent was one of the best things I have done. Now I need to give up iced tea with splenda. Maybe next week. Well, better run. Have a great day. Jen
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

Island Dimensions, seating 5 (3+1+1)

Q

Comments (17)
    Most recommend minimum of 24" of width per diner. And that really is a minimum. I think it's more important to think about comfort than how many seats you can squeeze into a space. At 24" most adults are super-cramped and don't have much elbow room. And your kids will grow up so you need to plan for that. My DH wears a 46" jacket. When DS was in high school, he wore a 48". Can you imagine them crammed together with 24" each? Not happening. Even when kids are smaller, I think it's nice to give them more space so they can spread out and not be so close that it's fun to start pestering each other, like on purpose/"accidental" elbow jabs and such. And if you want them to do homework there, they will likely need space to spread out books and papers. Personally, for these reasons, we've never been happy without more like 30-32" per person for daily use. Closer is fine for occasional dinners but not for daily use. All imho, of course, and YMMV.
    ...See More

3,1,1 potting mix?

Q

Comments (18)
    I only thought to mention it because I had read about how carnivorous plants (which are especially sensitive to minerals in soil) can't handle MG perlite, but given the low concentration of fertilizer it contains (actually an NPK of 0.04-0.01-0.06, according to their website) and perlite's CEC it does seem like a pretty negligible factor for most houseplants.
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Dinner last night was take-out Greek: a gyro sandwich on pita with double Greek salad. We have a new small Greek restaurant just a mile or so from me - YAY! This is the Burlington location of Mykonos, one of my favorite restaurants over in Greensboro. I've bugged them for years to come over to Burlington....maybe I had something to do with their decision to open here? Who knows?

Ruthanna, thanks for the chicken kabob idea!

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Great photos everyone!

I'm just getting back into the kitchen after a whirlwind visit of my sister and a friend after their choral group toured England and Wales, after which they managed to make a detour here to Canaries for a few days before heading back to Canada.

We ate in as well as out so I'll have a few pics of dinners, especially tapas that I may get to post here later.

I made meatloaf, veg and apple pie the day they arrived, as I figured if their plane was late such a dinner would keep in the oven. Another day I did homemade pesto over whole wheat spaghetti, and another day Marilyn's fresh salmon cakes which they loved. Yesterday Wolf and I had pork tenderloin in mustard & orange sauce (from a jar :-) and today I made chili con carne, which we had with potato salad, toasted whole wheat rusks and ice cold Warsteiner. I rarely drink beer but in very hot weather I love an icy beer and Warsteiner is my favourite.

We ate out on the patio and although it's hot today, after 3 pm the wind changes and we have a refreshing sea breeze coming across our garden.
    Life is good. But I sure do miss

.:-(

SharonCb Happy Sunday!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Wow!!! We were travelling last week so I haven't looked in on the new WFD thread.

Scrolled down and couldn't get Mago's Blue Crabs out of my mind... then just when I was getting past the urge to close the laptop and go to the seafood market, I hit on FOAS's lobster pics! I'm having serious seafood cravings now!

Last night was a throwtogether veggie meal becasue I still haven't made the drive to the grocery store since our return. Our tomatoes are kaput in the heat, so I pulled them out and salvaged the few greeen tomatoes still hanging in there. Dinner was Fried Green Tomatoes, Rice Pilaf and Sauteed Eggplant/Yellow Squash with a little Pesto from the freezer.

This was perhaps the most bizarre combination of various flavors on a plate that I can imagine, but at least I didn't have to make the drive to the store!!

Grace

• shaun
    13 years ago

Tonight's dinner will be AnnT's Pork, Garlic, Basil Meatballs. I've got most of them simmering in the sauce right now but here are the little guys that didnt make it into the sauce.

I tasted one and OMG you all have to try this recipe. Tender, moist and FULL of flavor. Can't wait to try the ones that are sauced up!

Anyway, thanks Ann for a wonderful recipe. I doubt I'll ever make them with ground beef again. I love this flavor so much better.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon, sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your sister.

I'm glad you are back posting. I've missed your dinner photos.

Shaun, great photo. Glad you liked my meatballs. Momma's meatballs use to be my favourite but the pork, garlic and basil have moved into first place.

Ann

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Sharon, your picture is making me drool. The food looks tasty, the lattice and garden look breezy, and the beer looks icy tasty. Yum!

I have been so busy, I'm really not eating much other than a tidbit here and there. Except Saturday. I knew I had to eat enough to keep me physically moving for a couple of hours since there was much bending, lifting, and carrying for the day. I ate three eggs, with herbs, cheese, and a dash of cream, two cups of coffee, and a glass of orange juice. Every time we stopped to break, I had a glass of orange juice with ice (it was HOT!), tally up three more glasses of orange juice. Lunch was a quick burger with two tall glasses of sprite and ice. After cleaning up the mess from all the tracking in and out, I was beat, dog tired. So I decided to treat myself to my favorite. I had a pound of crab legs with butter and a dash of lemon. With a martini and a lemon twist. And a 1/3 of a pie. Must've eaten a week's worth of calories in one day. I went back to nibbling at nothing yesterday and will likley do that until next Saturday when we unpack what we packed this Saturday. Almost moved!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rob, you were a busy girl yesterday. Yum crab legs. Great way to finish the day.

Moe loves fried onions so I grilled some fresh chorizo sausages for dinner last night and topped them with fried onions and peppers. Fried potatoes on the side.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Everyone is making wonderful crepes.

I found my crepe tools which I have not used for a couple of years.

Made some blueberry crepes for dessert.

dcarch

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Mmm...I'm getting hungry for crab and crepes. Sounds like a nice combination!
    But I'm afraid we'll be finishing off that chili con carne today, despite that I have some fish in the freezer which I'd planned on for today....but no...Wolf really likes that chili and wants it again (for the third time!)

I've put together a little slideshow of 12 photos of what we've been having out while my sister was here, mainly in the tapas bar La Bodeguita de Enfrente, which means ..."the little bodega across the road", since it's the offshoot of another restaurant belong to the same family across the street. We also went twice to El Olivo, another terrace restaurant with good food that also serves tapas and small breads heaped with interesting toppings.

Another special meal was at the high Mirador, or outlook cafe in the old monastery complex, El Monasterio.

Here is the little slideshow which will start if you click on the photo below.

Have a good week!

SharonCb

• lindac
    13 years ago

Looks like some lovely meals you had last week, Sharon!Lamb patties in marinara....never thought to do that!
    And what are the two Mojos on the goat cheese?
    Linda c

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Great pictures Sharon, I'd love to visit there. I know your sister must have enjoyed every minute.

I'm behind and didn't take any pictures... Fri night was burgers off the grill, Sat night we were at a friends, Sun I cooked a pork shoulder so that I could make BBQ pulled pork for last night. The pork roast tasted so good, I barely had enough left for a couple of sandwiched last night...

Off to the store this AM... can't do much cooking, they are going to start on redoing my pantry this afternoon. I asked them to do that part of the kitchen remodel ahead of the rest so that I could get it painted and then use the space to stash kitchen stuff when they do that...

Nancy

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Thanks Nancy...It's the first time my sister has been to my house or visited Tenerife so it was a landmark visit!

Linda the two sauces on the goat cheese were the typical red piquant pepper and the milder cilantro/parsley green sauces. Here are a couple of recipes:

Here are some recipes for the

which are served with so many meals.
    The sauces are delicious spooned over fish and
    the salted wrinkled potatoes typical of the islands.

3 or 4 hot red peppers
    1 small head garlic
    cumin
    oil
    vinegar
    paprika
    salt

1. Lightly toast 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and pound in a mortar.

2. Soften the peppers by soaking for a while in hot water. Remove the seeds and veins. Add to the mortar and pound with the cumin.

3. Put the garlic and salt into the mortar and crush with the contents, adding a small glass of oil, vinegar to taste and a little cold water. Blend well and serve.

Another Milder Red Mojo Sauce

1. Lightly toast 2 or 3 threads of saffron* and pound in a mortar with breadcrumbs soaked in olive oil, garlic, cumin, paprika and salt.

2. Add a little more oil, vinegar to taste and 1/2 a teaspoon of paprika, blending thoroughly.

* The recipe calls for the milder saffron grown on the Canary Islands so use a little less of the stronger saffron.

3 or 4 hot green peppers
    1 small head garlic
    cumin
    flat-leaf parsley
    oil
    vinegar
    salt

1. Put the following ingredients into a mortar and pound together:
    1 teasp cumin, the garlic and salt to taste.

2. Remove the seeds and veins from the peppers and add with some chopped parsley to the mortar. Pound the contents thoroughly.

3. Finally, combine with some oil, vinegar to taste and water.

Mojo de Cilantro (Coriander Sauce)

1 head garlic
    1/2 hot red or green pepper
    1 bunch fresh coriander
    cumin
    oil
    vinegar
    salt

1. Lightly toast a teaspoon of cumin and pound in a mortar. Add the garlic, coriander, seeded pepper and a little salt, blending all these ingredients thoroughly.

2. Pour in half a cup of oil, vinegar to taste, a little cold water, and mix well.

Mojo de Queso (Cold Cheese Sauce)

500 grams (or 1 lb) hard goatsmilk cheese
    4 cloves garlic
    1 green pepper
    cumin
    salt

1. Remove the seeds and veins from the pepper. Pound the pepper, garlic, salt to taste and cumin in a mortar.

2. Grate the cheese and mix with the contents of the mortar. Add water and olive oil to form a well-blended liquid.

SharonCb

• shaun
    13 years ago

Making Gamberi al Forno tonight.

12 Jumbo shrimp
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped
    2 cups flavored bread crumbs
    5 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil

Peel/devein shrimp, dip in egg then roll in bread crumbs and place in lightly oiled shallow baking dish. Sprinkle garlic and parsley over top. Pour oil over shrimp.

Bake 400° for 20 mins or until done.

This is from an Italian cookbook my MIL gave me back in 1993, called Preserving Our Italian Heritage.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

OMG Shaun - that sounds fantastic! I am soooo cutting & pasting and I think I will serve it with some of Sharons Mojo sauce for dipping just to be really adventurous.

We are having ribs 2 ways..... after posting the Cantonese pork recipe for Linda a couple of days ago, I got a craving for it, and since I had promised the boys regualr BBQ ribs tonight, I reserved the trimmings from butchering them St Louis Style to make the Asian style. Pretty yummy!

Alexa

• annie1992
    13 years ago

OK, time to catch up...

Sharon, that slideshow is beautiful. I'm glad you sister got to visit you.

Boy, the crepes are getting popular too!

Rob, slow down girl, you're working yourself to a frenzy!

Summer food like ribs orbrats would be good, but instead I had eggs and some homemade onion dill bread because I've spent the evening canning Chase's dill pickles:

I used the same bread two nights ago to make this pastrami sandwich, Elery smoked the pastrami:

the Princess came to stay with me on Friday night, she played with Molly Bunny while I snapped these:

Oh, and I baked honey wheat bread in there somewhere....

It was so hot last week that I took a day off work and went to Silver Lake, it's a place right on the lakeshore where they have big sand dunes that they let you drive on with your vehicle, so we took the top off the Jeep. Makayla loved dune running, Bruvver not so much, so Dave and Amanda took Makayla to run "test hill", 280 feet pretty much straight up.

Bruvver played in the water with Elery, Lake temperature is right around 80, it was so pleasant.

Makayla finally came back and jumped in the water too, to cool off:

Ashley brought her newest boyfriend, who drove the Jeep for a while, then also needed a swim:

We had blueberry smoothies and burgers on the grill for supper and life on The Lake was perfect for that one day...

Annie

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Annie,

That's what summer is all about! Wonderful!

dcarch

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Annie, I can't get over how big the grand-munchkins are!! Gorgeous kids!

So much great-looking food. I'm definitely in the mood for lobster... and crepes filled with anything!!

I've been travelling, but things have finally started settling down. I cooked one of my favorites, Shrimp Etouffee.

Lori

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I'm still moving the house, so last night it was hot dogs on paper plates and tonight will be gumbo, straight out of the pot... because all the dishes are now packed away. I'm betting it'll be tomorrow night's dinner and Friday's will the last of the mac-n-cheese straight out of the pot, just so there won't be any leftovers to move. Doncha find moving food is irksome?! It ranks right up there with moving dirty clothes. The two things I refuse to do this time. Guess I'll be eating out a lot if the kitchen doesn't get unpacked quickly. I did think ahead and I won't do the monthly grocery shopping until after the move. All I have in the freezer is some frozen stock, poppy seeds, a ginger root, freezer pops for the nephews, and a bottle of vodka (for the sisters)! HA! The fridge has some herbs, butter, cheese, proscuitto, and lots of lemonade. No eggs, no milk, no veggies. Nothing. Here's to an easy move (with less stuff!) followed by a full new fridge!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

The food pics are mouthwatering as usual BUT.... I want to cuddle up with Molly the Bunny!!!! DS4 had pet rabbits when he was little and I miss them!!

Rob Good luck with the move... how far are you going?

Last night we had a different and tasty salad that I adapted from a cookbook that I checked out of the library "Nourish: Recipes from Canyon Ranch" along with a recipe I adapted from King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking. Salmon/Apple Salad with a lovely light honey and lemon dressing and Barley/Cornmeal "Biscuits" that I topped with a little black pepper and Parmesan before baking.

Loved the salad and will make again. Also like the "biscuits" for adding a little heartiness to salad or soup. Definitely not breakfast biscuits and you couldn't split them but they were nice finger food.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie, great photos of food and family. The perfect day at the beach.

Gbsim, those biscuits sound really interesting.

Matt and Dana came up Island for dinner last night. Matt requested Hungarian Goulash. Not exactly "summer food", but it was really good.

Served with traditional sides - Spaetzle and red cabbage.

• jimster
    13 years ago

There is much too much deserving of praise since my last visit to WFD, there is so much good stuff. But there are a couple of items I can't keep quiet about.

First, Lori's shrimp etouffee looks beautiful and delicious. I'm adding her to my list of Masters of Food Photography.

Second, what a great, complete meal Ann served with the goulash! It's so attractive and I'm sure it was just as tasty. Serve me spaetzle at any time of year. I love it.

Jim

• annie1992
    13 years ago

You're right, dcarch, it's exactly what summer should be about. I hadn't "run the dunes" for many years, but I did note that I had the only Jeep out there with a pink car seat in the back. (grin)

Ann, I'm sure you remember the great Lake Michigan beaches. The girls and now the grandkids, have been in the water since they were old enough to walk, but I still worry about waves and rip currents. The kids have to have life vests or an adult right next to them to be in the water. After Amanda drowned in our pool that summer, I've been a bit more respectful of water safety!

So, what's for dinner? Last night I had a sandwich with homemade honey wheat bread and the first garden tomato from my own garden. Generous amounts of Miracle Whip, salt and pepper. It would have been perfect with squishy white bread but I didn't have any and so the wheat stuff sufficed. It was still wonderful, I picked that tomato at about 8:30 and by 9:15 it was in my sandwich!

Not a single picture of me eating that sandwich, with the juice running down my arms. (grin)

Grace, the biscuits DO sound interesting, is the recipe on the KA website?

Annie

• shaun
    13 years ago

Tonight Hubs is not home for dinner and my son is down at his sisters...........so for me......

Dinner is a Yellow Cake Martini

• caliloo
    13 years ago

'K Shaun - need that recipe too. My guys have a water park day coming and I may have to indulge myself with a dinner like that when they are gone.

And yes, there have been some spectacular meals! I love spetzel with either goulash or paprikash, but I can't even imagine it when it is in the mid-90's like it is here. We had the Nawlins BBQ shrimp a few nights ago, but I could still eat a huge serving of Lori;s Etouffee... MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Tonight, since it is so beastly hot again, I decided on the CF French Dip Sandwiches with Provolone (both sharp and mild depending on preference), cucumber salad, chips and Mango Ice Cream for dessert.

I can't wait for snow!

Alexa

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

I'm trying hard to use more wholegrains and have some variety in my baked good flavors.

Here's the recipe for the Barleycorn Biscuits. They're sort of like a scone... a hearty savory one. I don't think I'd like them with breakfast, but to serve alongside a salad they were just the ticket and I'm looking forward to having them in the fall and winter with soups.
    Grace

*My changes: I did all mixing in the food processor; sub'd homemade plain yogurt for the buttermilk; I patted into a rectangle and cut into squares so there was no re-rolling; after brushing with melted butter, I topped them with some parmesan and cracked pepper before baking.

Barleycorn Biscuits (makes about 10 square biscuits)
    from Whole Grain Baking by King Arthur Flour

3/4 cup barley flour
    3/4 cup whole yellow cornmeal
    1/2 cup unbleached white flour
    1 T sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    Melted butter or milk for brushing the tops (optional)

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
    Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. With a fork, two knives, a pastry cutter, or a food processor, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
    Whisk together the egg and buttermilk in a small bowl. Add all at once to the flour mixture. Blend lightly and quickly with a fork until the mixture is evenly moistened.
    Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Using a dough scraper, fold the dough over on itself three or four times until it comes together.
    Gently pat the dough out or roll lightly with rolling pin until about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough with knife or pizza cutter into squares or into rounds with a 2" biscuit cutter. Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. If using a round cutter, reform any scraps and cut again.
    Brush the tops with melted butter or milk.
    Bake until the tops are golden brown, 20-23 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Alexa....Hush! I won't be ready for snow for months yet.

Shaun.... your martini sure looks good.

Fresh sweetcorn and a Beef Enchilada casserole will be dinner tonight. Ready and waiting for Kim to get home.

Ann, I don't care what time of year it is your Hungarian Goulash looks spectacular!

Nancy

• lindac
    13 years ago

Leftover chicken salad, from the lunch for a couple of my "imaginary friends" who stopped in yesterday, and an ear or 2 of corn from the farmer on the corner selling out of the blue pickup and berry berry summer tart...also leftover from yesterday's lunch.
    Linda C

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

hmmm... DHJoe is going to his poker night tonight..... maybe I'll have a Pimm's Cup Cocktail for dinner!

Grace

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Shaun, a 'yellow cake martini'??? Do tell!!! (It's been a rough week!)

Lori :D

• shaun
    13 years ago

Lorijean, it's equal parts of Vanilla Vodka, Triple Sec & Pineapple Juice. Shake with ice, strain into martini glass.

I've also seen recipes using equal parts of Vanilla Vodka, Amaretto and pineapple juice.

I used Triple Sec. YUM!

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Oh my... I'm stopping for Vanilla Vodka on the way home tonight! Thanks!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

gbsim, I'll be done moving from one house to the next by about 2ish tomorrow. The moving container is now sitting in front of the front door just waiting to be unloaded. Last night, I had mac-n-cheese. It was pitiful. I was afraid it'd stick to the pan because I had to heat it on the stove (instead of the missing microwave) and so I added some cream and stirred it pathetically with a plastic spoon. Oy! I'm so ready for dishes and real food.

• Solsthumper
    13 years ago

Shaun, you took what Hollywood refers to as "The Martini Shot" to a whole other level.

I've looked over all the dinner photos, and they all look wonderful. From May's crabs to Ann's biscuits, to Dcarch's plate, with its pretty circle of sliced lotus root, which, to me, resemble edible doilies. Yes, I'm quite clearly insane.

And I'm putting in an order for FOAS lobster dinnerÂboth the nudie and the crepe enveloped lobster shots. Heavens, even my computer's breathing heavily.

AB, great family outing and pictures. Can't get over Makayla's growth spurt; she's looking more and more like her beautiful mom Amanda.

Sharon, I'm glad you got to spend time with your querida hermana. I'll have to check out the slideshow.

I haven't done much cooking lately, due to our perpetually hot and humid weather. However, local restaurants seem to be holding up beautifully, thanks to me.

We've also spent quite a bit of time on the road, visiting Sam and other family members. And we've come home with wonderful memories of Sam, and not-so-wonderful memories of some of the greasy diners we hit along the way. Oh, the regrets.

Tonight, dinner will be out, again.

Good day.

Sol

• User
    13 years ago

I think I need to check out a twelve step programme....my scroll arrow can't seem to get pass that martini!

Been so darn bust with company the last few weeks, and loving every minute of it!

Had a dinner party on Wednesday that included a Happy Hour cruise. I served fabulous bacon wrapped, chorizo stuffed, dates that I first enjoyed with Riverrat and her DH at the Snake River Restaurant in Lake Charles. Karen , sweetie pie that she is, sent me the cookbook from the restaurant that included the recipe....I finally made them! To die for!

The rest of the menu paled but included stuffed pork tenderloin, balsamic glazed onions, Woodies crusty roasted potatoes, grilled asparagus with lemon and pine nuts and watermelon, cuke and feta salad.

Dessert was not at all seasonal but I wanted it. Ann T's Ginger cake with Lemon Sauce.... the spices appealed to me after this meal and by what was left over...appealed to everyone else too!

Last night was pulled pork on homemade buns with slaw etc. Tonight no company so we are having Burritos!

New company arrives tonight. Marylin's Crown Scramble for breakfast, Weed's Muffaletta for lunch, Sue's Ribs for dinner along with slaw, baked potatoes and all the toppings, and a tossed salad. Finished off with Sooz's Ice Cream!

I love this place!

• magic_arizona
    13 years ago

Dang! I Have everything but the pineapple juice.

Think I'll make a vanilla martini anyway.

That is a great picture Shaun.

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Luscious dinners....and drinks on this thread! But I had to rescue it from page 2. I know I haven't been cooking much lately in this weather.

This morning I walked up to a supermarket to buy some juice....nothing more....and I came across these cute little earthenware soup bowls.....at  1.50 each...that just $2.00 so I had to have them. They're 14 cms across (5.5 inches) so to me they looked just perfect for making chicken pot pies!

So without thinking twice I bought some lard and chicken breast....I already had some veggies and chicken broth at home, and although it meant I'd have to turn on the oven ...not really my choice on a hot humid day...I decided to use just the toaster oven which worked fine, with just a little singing on the tops.

After making up half a batch of Nathan's Pastry and cooking the vegetables in broth and adding a white sauce, it all went together for 30 minutes in the oven and we had chicken, bacon and veggie pot pie for lunch....delicious, and we only used one pie, so there another one to eat in a day or two.

SharonCb

• User
    13 years ago

Sharon it is 31 C and humid here yet I'd still love a serving of your pot pie! Just don't want to cook it.

I'm "doing down" dills (or as some would say "putting up"), why is it that I always choose the hottest days of the summer to can?

Not interested in cooking tonight but also not interested in cleaning up to go out so I'm thinking it's BLT's for dinner. Maybe some sweet corn too. I can never get enough tomatoes or corn this time of year.

• jimster
    13 years ago

I refuse to call anything other than gin with vermouth a martini, even one made with vodka. I realize that the trend is to call anything poured into a conical glass a martini and I know I'm swimming against the tide... tilting at windmills... pick a metaphor. I appreciate the photo though. it's nice to look at.

Nice bowls, Sharon. And they inspired a nice dinner.

What I had for dinner might be called faux Indian. Faux because everything was improvised. No recipes were involved. It was a ragout of stuff from the garden, yogurt and cucumber soup, and yellow rice. Produce from the garden was:

Cucumber
    Shallot
    Dill

Okra
    Jalapeno chiles
    Tomatoes
    Cilantro

Jim

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOH Jim, you can't go wrong with a dinner like that.

Sharon, I love your little bowls. Just perfect for your chicken pie. Now I have a craving for chicken pot pie.

I haven't taken pictures of our last couple of dinners. We had Halibut for dinner on Sunday night. Monday night it was just toasted tomato sandwiches. The tomatoes were not from our garden but they were local heirlooms - Black Krim. My favourite.

Last night I roasted a small Sirloin roast and served it with mashed potatoes and peas.

I did bake bread this week. I had kneaded up dough last Wednesday and had intended to bake it the same day. That was the night that Matt and Dana were here for dinner. Never got around to it though until Monday night.

I'm glad I waited. The long fermentation really does make for a great loaf of bread. More flavour and with lots of wonderful holes.

Makes the best toast.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We had chili for dinner last night. Topped with a homemade salsa and cheese and served with homemade flour tortillas. The salsa was made with fresh tomatoes that I blackened on a hot grill.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Jim - I'm pretty much with you on the martini thing. A martini is made with gin, I'll accept vodka martini as long as you say vodka, but other than that I'm not sure why anything else would have martini in the name. Anyway, I'll take a real martini with your harvest creation - did you ever decide on a name??

Ann - Do we need to send some heat up your way? I tend to consider chili a winter meal, but yours sure looks perfect! Same comments for Sharons chicken pot pies.

I'm glad this thread came back up. I've been so lame, I need the inspiration. Saturday pizza, Sunday (only day I've really cooked lately) chicken and shrimp francaise, Monday McDonalds, Tuesday frozen pierogies, Wednesday McDonalds. How sad is that??

• jimster
    13 years ago

Yep, it is sad, FOAS. And, sadly, I am too often in that rut of laziness, leading to fast, cheap dinners. I'm trying to let the garden inspire my meals often as possible these days. To answer your question, I'm calling those vegetable dishes "ragouts". I think it is right.

I've never seen bread look so good as it does in your photo, Ann. I would love it with the chili you made.

Jim

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

FOAS, I've never consider food "seasonal", except for produce. If I have a craving for something I don't care if it is 90°. If I want stew that is what I have. My son and I were talking about that the other day. He is the same with what he cooks.

Jim, I like toast with chili when I have it for breakfast, but when it is dinner it has to be homemade flour tortillas. In fact, Moe said last night that Tortillas with Chili is like Naan with curry. A must have.

Ann

• lindac
    13 years ago

Lately I have been in the mode of if I can't stick it on the grill and in a bun, I'm not bothering.
    And I agree with all who say gin or vodka and a bit of dry vermouth is a martini...
    How can anything with pineapple juice be called a martini?
    I am ready for a little chicken pot pie and chili weather!
    Linda C

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Chili? Depends on who is making it. Husband (still not ex-, but might be as of Sept 21st!), made it with spaghetti noodles and thin, almost soup like consistency. He also mashed beans that were added to the mix, but not whole beans. I make it thick and spicy, with kidney beans, and sometimes serve it over rice. I always have a dollop of sour cream, and sometimes cheese. Rarely, I'll even add cabbage to it. That's a stick-to-your-ribs way of doing it. Any time of year is good!

All of my kitchen is finally unpacked, including dishes and flatware I haven't seen in decades. And the coffee perculator... the list goes on. I can find it all now! Whew. All the napkins are washed, but not ironed. I've had grilled cheese, cereal, hot dogs, and last night was livers. Still no real meals, but very soon.

• jimster
    13 years ago

Waiter! A martini, please. Straight up with olive. Hold the pineapple!

Ann, I get your point about the tortillas, especially the "homemade" part.

Jim

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rob, I've never heard of chili with spaghetti or with cabbage for that matter.

I know that the more traditional chili doesn't have beans, and I make it that way sometimes, but I do like to add beans. last night's batch had smaller red chili beans in it, but sometimes I add black beans or pinto beans. Sometimes Kidney beans.

Ann

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Chili with spaghetti is a regional thing. I've never much cared for it. But then, I've never seen chili served with tortillas and both you and Jim do that. Cabbage is just because. Sort of a cross between cabbage soup (my mom makes it with cabbage, hamburger meat, and carrots) and because I felt like it's too unhealthy. Tastes good.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio