SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newmama_gw

HE washing machines for cloth diapers?

newmama
14 years ago

Hi, if anyone could help with my dilemma, I'd be grateful. :)

My current washing machine is dying (only spinning intermittantly), and we need a new machine as soon as possible. After researching machines on Consumer Reports and reading reviews, I decided that a high-efficiency Maytag Bravos might be a good machine for my family (large capacity, low vibration, etc.).

The problem, though, is that we use cloth diapers, and I know that lots of cloth diaper users complain that the low water in the rinse phase of HE washers doesn't get all the detergent/urea residue out of the diapers. I'm especially concerned about it because we use ultra-lightweight, ultra-absorbent hemp diapers that would probably soak up the water in the machine really quickly, but not signal to the machine that much water is needed because they're so small and light. I've also seen firsthand what happens when cloth diapers aren't rinsed well enough: detergent and urea residue builds in the diapers, resulting in ammonia burns on my baby's privates when he pees. So I know that I need a machine that will use enough water to adequately rinse our cloth diapers.

I called Maytag to see if the Bravos were tested with cloth diapers, and the tech guy told me that he didn't think washing machines were tested with cloth diapers anymore. He told me that it's possible that the Bravos (and other HE machines) might use just enough water to rinse all the detergent/urea residue from the diapers, but that he couldn't be sure. He said it would be a close call, and that I'd only know by trying it. So I'm hoping that someone else has experience with using an HE machine for cloth diapers.

Has anyone ever used an HE machine to clean your cloth diapers? If so, did you have residue problems because of the low water levels in the rinse?

Thank you so much!!!

Comments (12)