SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazzspot

I've made a decision on which FL I'm buying

jazzspot
16 years ago

After researching over two weeks for a FL to replace a 15+ year old TL Maytag which developed a leak, I've decided to purchase the Whirlpool Duet HT, WFW9400SW model, which is the white color.

I was going to purchase the LG's WM2496 or WM2455 models. But after talking to an appliance repairman, he was able to convince me to purchase a Whirlpool, simply due to parts being more readily available than the LG models.

Believe me, I really, really wanted an LG. I hope the Whirlpool model that I selected is the right choice.

My wife likes the style and features, but is not impressed with the cost. I'm buying it from a local appliance dealer for $1099 with an extended warranty of 5 years for $120. I also get a $50 rebate I believe from Whirlpool and a $75 rebate from my power company due to this model being energy efficient. I'll be scheduling delivery for this Thursday. Free delivery and installation.

The washer will be placed in a laundry room located on the first floor of my home, not in the basement. So I hope the flooring will be stable enough to withstand the high spin cycle rpm.

So, what do you all think about my decision? Should I have purchased one of the LG models or is the WFW9400S the right decision? I would assume that both makes are good choices. It's just a matter of reliability first and foremost for me... and then comes performance.

Comments (28)

• premier
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I find it strange that you based your decision on availability of parts. If you are anticipating needing repair parts, its sounds like you don't believe that Whirlpool is reliable. Since the Whirlpool brand has been around for ages, I would believe there are more repairmen familiar with Whirlpool and have accounts to purchase parts. But that doesn't mean Whirlpool is more reliable. In fact, a quick google search will show there have been many problems with Whirlpool frontloaders. Whatever reputation Whirlpool had with their other appliances doesn't automatically mean their frontloaders will be as reliable. Whirlpool is new to the FL market.

That said, there are still plenty of Whirlpool FL users on this forum who are very happy with their purchase. Perhaps the problems they had in the past they have overcome.

LG doesn't have the vast amount of complaints like Whirlpool, Maytag and Kenmore FLs have had.

If I was most concerned with reliability I would compare the warranties. LG hands down has a superior warranty than any other brand.

I do have an LG. I am very happy with it. Since I have not had a Whirlpool FL, I can't say for sure which I would think is best. We only know what we have. I have exclusively purchased Whirlpool washers in the past. But when I did my search, I found better reviews on LG for performance and reliability. I also liked the features on LG better but that is a matter of individual preference.

Do you do the laundry in your household?

• looser
    16 years ago

I don't know why the statement that Whirlpool is new to the FL market keeps coming up. It just isn't true.
    The Whirlpool Duet washers are made in Germany by Bauknecht, a company owned by Whirlpool that has been making FLs for decades.
    I have heard and read comments about parts availability problems with both LG and Whirlpool, but I tink it is true that there are more trained repair technicians available for Whirlpool. LG washers are relatively new to the NA market. I have talked to an LG representative at an appliance store and he admitted that service is still scarce in some areas.
    I think you made a good choice. I actually don't think you'd go wrong with either of those machines.
    Good luck!

• Related Discussions

I've made a decision..I think!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    Do the guys at appliance stores HAVE dishdrawers? Odds are excellent that they don't live with every appliance they sell, which is why I wouldn't give their opinion too much weight. If they are just hearing from customers in the first month that they suck, well, yeah. It takes at least that long to learn to load the darn things. They ARE different. The problems, once you get over the obvious things like space constraints that not everything will fit and they don't have as many functions as some others (food grinder, heated dry, etc.), are mostly due to incorrect use and incorrect installation. Once that's figured out, they wash stuff just fine, and the difference is just how you do dishes. I don't know if they have reliability issues. I've never had a problem and I haven't seen bad reviews in that regard--at least no more than any other appliance. Of course, if I had someone looking at ~$1100 DDs and thought I could bump them up to a $1400 one, what kind of a salesman would I be if I didn't? ;) Jenn, if the drawers work for your lifestyle, you'll love them. If they don't, you'll hate them. There really IS no in between. But at least it's a standard-size hole.
    ...See More

Finally made decision on which machines to order

Q

Comments (2)
    I did save some money but have agonized over this decision. I called LG, Whirlpool and an appliance repair person asking about service in our area. The more I read the more confused I was about what to get as far as the most"trouble free". I read good and bad on all of them.The appliance repair person said the Duets are easier to work on and didn't recommend the GE, course I take that with a grain of salt. My sister has a GE FL and loves it. I need a machine with an internal heater for the sanitary cycle. I was liking the LG steam washer but afraid to go that way with our hard water and mineral deposits and it being such new technology. Course if I have trouble no matter what I get it will probably be weeks for me to get service, and then they would have to order parts on top of that. I guess only time will tell. Thanks for wishing me luck:) Dee
    ...See More

Decisions are made, tear-out begins next week, I'm getting flack

Q

Comments (19)
    I think that if I had seen that photo before we did our kitchen, I might have done the copper sink in the island. I really wanted to work in copper somewhere, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else and I was picturing a green sink over time. Counters would not have worked for me, but I love the island idea. I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of copper -- just posing the likely questions and ones I wasn't able to resolve for myself. I also realized after I last posted that most of the things I was looking at trying to think about how copper would age were probably only thin copper plating -- like the roof of a bird feeder outside that quickly became pitted and yucky. You probably wind up with some rusting metal underneath rather than copper, and that's not a fair comparison. luvnola, I'm sorry you're not rebuilding in Nola, but glad you can recreate the charm you need wherever you are. I can asee copper like that adding to the charm, It is different, and that's what will make it what you love. That's what's really important -- making your kitchen nd your home what work for you -- functionally, of course, as well as some touches that feed the soul. I got flack for marble counters and for my three different cabinet finishes, but the end result just feels so right for me. I love many looks, but this is one I will alsways feel at home with. Enjoy! BTW, I did not find soapstone that would work for me and wound up with a brushed granite instead. Love it too, but I still love soapstone and may put it in our laundry room if I get a chance. The marble wsa less than my granite, and I would have thought copper would be more. The sinks and hoods are certainly pricey. You'll have everyone fooled. ;-)
    ...See More

O/T... I'm sorry, I've got to say it....

Q

Comments (77)
    Sheila, thank you for responding.Your loyalties to Justice and kindness etc. are for me included under the heading of God, that is, Justice and kindness/charity. Yet I don't doubt that there are some differences in the details of our thinking. Paul, I had expected the dialog to be political. That it has become, in part, a question of religion was a surprise. Ingrid, anyone who has ever worked for the federal government knows that what Hillary did with her Email server brings jail time. No excuses. The reason for such a severe penalty is because of the severe damage such behavior causes, that is, the death of American military and intelligence members as well as revealing classified state secrets. She was handling material of the highest classification. In addition there is sufficient evidence that her Email was indeed hacked. That she was exonerated by a politicized Justice Department does not rectify the situation. The most generous argument for not prosecuting her is that it could have destabilized the American electoral process, a significant consideration. In other, words her exoneration was not based on her innocence (because she was not innocent) but rather on practical considerations. Many of the men who wrote the Constitution were deists and the document reflects that. The framers of the Constitution were opposed to an established state religion, not opposed to God. The Constitution has provided wide enough scope for both atheists and those who believe in God to flourish. And now I will stop posting on this topic as I have said what I have to say. Cath
    ...See More
  • premier
    16 years ago

They are not made by Bauknecht. Whirlpool is making them and developed new parts for their FL and is using one or two parts that Bauknecht had already made. Anyways, what makes anyone think if a FL is made in Germany that that indicates its a good machine. The fact is when Whirlpool started in the FL market and made theirs and the sears one, those machines had lots and lots of problems. So how does Whirlpool owning Bauknecht mean anything when those machines were so bad?

A quick search will show lots of complaints about Duets. Perhaps Whirlpool has made changes and perhaps the newer ones are better but the internet is full of complaints about Duets.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi premier. Yes I do the laundry quite often for our household and I've been doing the family laundry chores since I was 10 years old. Wow, 40 years goes by quickly!! Anyway, reliability and then the quick turn-around to get an item repaired, whatever it may be, is very important to me. So the availability of parts to repair something is a high priority. But why shouldn't it be an important issue? After serving 25 years in the Air Force, reliability and the requirement to have a surplus of serviceable spare parts at the ready, is very important. And I usually look at my more expensive purchases with the same level of prudence. Whether it be for a washing machine or a car. With that said, the purchase of most anything mechanical can be a crap-shoot. Some times there are a few lemons buried within the abundance of sweet apples. I'm happy to know that there are so many satisfied LG owners, which is great. As I said, it was a tough decision I made to go with the WFW9400S. Believe me, I wish for trouble-free issues for everyone regarding their purchase of FL washers.

looser - Thanks. Good to hear a positive endorsement regarding my purchase. I was aware as well that the Whirlpool, my model anyway, is made in Germany. The repairman I talked to, and who detoured my decision on the LG purchase, has quite a few years in the appliance repair business. He knows of what he speaks.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

premier, I pointed out to you in another thread, which you apparently missed, that Whirlpool is NOT new to frontloaders. They had a frontload washer/dryer combo on the market in the late 1950s / early 1960s, and manufactured them for Sears until 1974.

• premier
    16 years ago

I do know that there was a time when Whirlpool made FLs. But if your dates are correct, they hadn't made them in over 25 years. Obviously they were not on top of FL technology if they hadn't been in the market for over 25 years.

According to Whirlpool's press statements, they were able to get into the FL market due to their previous acquisition of Philips's appliance operations in Germany. Philips already knew how to manufacture horizontal-axis FLs. Whirlpool did not simply take the blue prints of another FL and stick their label on them. They did revise and develop new parts and technology. The Duet came out in 2002. That is being new to the market of FLs.

I do think Whirlpool is a good company and that their FLs are worthy of consideration. But that doesn't change the fact that they are knew to the market and that their initial Duets had serious problems. Hopefully they have fixed the past problems.

jazzspot...It would be nice if you could post your experiences with your new FL once you have had a chance to check it out. Good luck.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

premier, Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be sure to post my experiences with the WFW9400. The most important thing I'll do is to follow the owner's manual. If I don't do that, then my results may be less then desirable.

• premier
    16 years ago

It does take time to learn about the right amount of laundry detergent and which brand is right for your machine. Other than that, I think you will be pleased with the washing results. FLs are just better. With the high speed spins, you will be pleased at how they shorten your drying time.

As far as following the owner's manual, I expected nothing less from a military man. That's why I think you will be a good judge of the washer's performance.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One question that has been just posted that I'm sure have several varied answers: What is the best HE brand detergent to purchase?
    I've read that the powder type detergent is best to use instead of the HE liquid type.
    Someone had posted that, "Many service techs recommend powdered HE detergent over the liquids and claim that powders dont leave the film that most liquids do---which forms a basis for mold growth." I'm not sure if that is a fact or not. But I'd rather be cautious at first. Although I've also read that some types of clothes wash with better results in the liquid HE detergent.
    Also I read that using fabric softener should be avoided. Here is what someone posted regarding the use of fabric softeners:
    "It gunks up machines worse than any other additive---it has wax in it for gosh sake! It makes towels less absorbent. It leaves a film on the outer drum that you canÂt get to to clean. If you have hard water, consider buying Calgon Water Softener available in the supermarket and adding it to the rinse water. You might also consider adding some 20 Mule Team Borax or Borateam either with the detergent if you use a powder or in the bottom of the drum if you use a liquid detergent."

So what is the best type and brand of HE detergent to use? I believe my water is probably towards the hard water type.

Thanks!!

• premier
    16 years ago

The funny thing is after all these years doing laundry, I feel like I'm starting over again. Things are different with a FL. Some other things like fabric softener, is now considered a no no for all machines even TL.

Different places will claim that powder is better than liquid and then other places will claim the opposite. I don't believe there is any consensus. I do know based on my experience with powder and liquid with any type of washer or dishwasher, powder doesn't always dissolve properly and when it doesn't it gunks up. Best used in a hot wash. I really have never seen a liquid build up as it is very easy to dissolve. You will also notice when you go shopping that it is hard to find powder detergent especially for a FL. Clearly, manufacturers are putting their money in liquid. They must know something. Most FLs come with a sample of liquid detergent usually Tide HE.

I believe with your washer that in order to use the prewash function you must use powder for the prewash and regular wash.

Prior to my FL purchase, I swore by powdered Tide. I never thought liquid Tide was as good. Now with my FL, I have been using liquid so far but plan to purchase a little powder just in case I want it for something special.

Detergent is dispensed differently in a FL. With a TL, all the water in the tub is mixed with the detergent. With FLs, the detergent is little by little mixed with water and squirted onto your clothes. To me, that sounds like liquid would be better.

If you use powder, make sure you are not doing cold water washes. Hot is best but maybe warm would be OK.

Most important is low sudsing. High sudsing will ruin the machine and will prevent proper cleaning. Your goal is to have low suds, total rinse out of suds and clean clothes. Really try to get all of the soap out.

It presents a problem if you want to add in Borax, etc if you use liquid. You just can't mix them. It would be easier if your detergent was powder to mix in other powder additives. Or you could try a work around. Throw the Borax onto your clothes in the tub. I'm not sure about putting it in the bottom of the drum. There are holes and the water fills from underneath in addition to the top spraying. Not sure the borax would end up with the clothes. In my LG, I can add borax to the prewash.

It is now a no no to use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Both coat the clothes with a film which is said to trap in dirt and odors. Both are said to be bad for the washer and the dryer. That appears to be universally held. People are using vinegar instead of fabric softener to aid in the rinse out of suds and make clothes softer.

I have hard water and don't add any softener. When you get your machine, I suggest washing towels first. Don't be surprised if you get lots of suds. It could well be the suds left over from your other washer. I had lots of suds from towels when I first started. The next time around you will not see all the suds.

Most people do not use the amount of detergent indicated on the bottle. Most only use one tops two tablespoons of liquid. A small bottle last a long time. Make sure whatever you use says it is HE.

Based on my reading, I think Tide HE is the one most used. There are a lot of people on this forum who shop at Sears and use their brand. There are fans of All free and clear. You don't hear about Wisk often but when you do it usually is a good comment. Other people order detergent online which I have never heard of before like Charlie's soap. Some of these choices are based on fragence free concept.

My gut tells me Tide HE is probably the best. But I believe it may depend on your particular machine and type of water or even type of laundry. What works for one person may not work for another.

I'm still experimenting on what is the best. Its a learning process. Take time to experiment and don't purchase a large quantity of anything yet.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

premier, many thanks for your advice and tips. As for using vinegar as a rinsing agent, won't there be a vinegar smell on the garments? And how much vinegar should be used? One tablespoon or two?

• premier
    16 years ago

There will be no vinegar smell at all. I don't actually measure but I believe I use more than 2 tablespoons. I use one of my old plastic measuring rectangle cups that came from my powdered Tide and I pour the vinegar into it -- about 1/4 to 1/3 inch high depending on what I'm washing. I put it into the fabric softner thing and it is still much less than what can be poured in there. If you ever use liquid bleach, I would use a similar amount. Have something you can pour into and then pour into compartments. I wouldn't try to pour directly from a bleach or vinegar bottle into the compartments.

Most important...guard against smell and mold. I keep my door open at all times and remove the detergent draw when done using. Some people can not do that. There is water under the drawer and on the roof of the draw compartment. All the water is flushed through there. I totally dry my gaskets when done. If there is any soap residue, lint, hair, whatever...I remove after each use. I probably do this more often than most people but the smell and mold stories scared me. At a minimum, leave the doors open for a while to dry out before totally closing them. Guard against small animals getting inside drum. Use the clean tub cycle with bleach at least once a month. If I wash something that produced a lot of suds or something that had a lot of animal hair like a dog blanket...I run an extra rinse and spin cycle with no clothes in drum and vinegar in fabric softener compartment to clean out drum. If you don't have that option, do a short cycle, less than half hour. The concern is what is behind the drum that you don't see. I'm trying to clean out what is behind the drum from any soap crud or dog hair or whatever. It sounds like a lot of work and it may feel like it in the beginning. But after a short while, you get into a routine and it all speeds up.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No doubt, a few minutes of cleanup/post-wash duty is needed at times to ensure that you've done all you could to prevent problems from arising in the future. One thing I've always done, even with the TLs that I've owned, is to leave the lid open after a wash. And I will continue to do the same by leaving the FL door open after a wash. My mother told me to do that quite a few years ago to prevent those musty odors.
    More tips and advise... Thanks premier!!

• hailefinn
    16 years ago

premier---your suggestions on FL cleaning drum and HE detergent use was well written and very easy to understand. Even tho I'm leaning toward a TL I still enjoy reading/learning about FLs.

• mcubed
    16 years ago

Jazzspt - I have the w/d Duets you are contemplating purchasing and I LOVE them. I got a great deal from AJ Madison (no tax, free shipping and rebate and great extended warrantee) - saved about $800 from the price I would have paid from Sears. I did have to have a part on the door on the dryer replaced (got messed up in transit and wouldn't shut). The part was delivered to my house w/in a week and the repairman fixed it no problem.

PS - the part was shipped from Sears.:) Good luck!

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mcubed, thank for your review of your Duet pair. Is your washer the WFW9400S model series? How long have you had them?
    Do you have any tips on brand of detergent to use for the best results? Do you use mostly a liquid or powder detergent?

• mcubed
    16 years ago

Hi Jazz - Yes, I believe that is my model. I just looked at my invoice and the number is WFW9400SU. Mine is stainless steel so that is the "u" I think. I have had them for about 2 months and am very happy. It's amazing how many fewer loads I have to do per week and my whites look awesome. I have been toying with a few different brands. Currently, I am using Tide w/bleach alternative (HE liquid), Gain (HE liquid) and Charlie's Soap (powder). I also have been using Downey liquid - just a little bit does the trick. I also bought Oxyclean, but haven't used it yet. I haven't been disappointed with any of them. I am leaning toward sticking to a powder because you can only use powder if you want to use the delay wash feature and I think that is something I will be using in the future, although I haven't had the opportunity yet. We are coming to the finish line on a complete kitchen remodel so I haven't had the time I would like to experiment with my new "toy".

I am very pleased with how much more gentle this machine is on our clothes. I recently washed something new that was black and it looked new still after being washed. I always prided myself on my laundry skills, but that was a first (and I even used to use Woolite for darks)! I do recommend this machine - it's been a great discovery. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck with whatever machine you decide to go with.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again mccubed!! I'll be getting my washer delivered on Sept 27th, this Thursday. And due to my old washer springing a leak from somewhere, we haven't washed a load in about a week. So we'll have several loads to test the new washer's performance. I've already read the manual, and I'll be sure to run it with an empty load with the 'Normal' cycle selected, with just 1/2 the amount of recommended HE detergent for a medium load to ensure the washer is clean before putting clothes in it.
    I guess you can say that I'm a little giddy about getting this new washer. Because at lunchtime today at work, I ran out to Walmart and bought both the HE liquid and powder Tide detergents. I also bought four of those mesh bags to put various items in during the wash, so that small items won't get trapped anywhere in the washer. Ya think that I'm losing it??? If not, I do. :-)
    Thanks again and I hope to be as satisfied with my washer's performance as you are with yours.
    Good luck on your kitchen remodeling too!! My wife and I are just now in the planning phase to have our kitchen and master bathroom remodeled sometime next year.

• mcubed
    16 years ago

Enjoy and good luck with your remodel!

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just had my WFW9400 delivered about 2 hours ago. And the delivery guys didn't do as I requested, which was to ensure the legs were at the lowest position possible. That way ensuring washer stability. Well I just looked and the legs are about 3/4 to 1 inch high!! Yeesh!!! And of course I screwed up and didn't check the legs before they left.
    I'll soon find out if the washer is stable with clothes in it, because I selected a high speed spin setting with the towels that I'm now washing. The wash program I selected is the Heavy Duty program.

I was wondering, how do I change the rinse water temp? I know the Heavy Duty cycle defaults to "Hot" water wash, and "Cold" water rinse. But if I wanted a "Warm" rinse, how do I program that option? Because when I change the water temp to warm prior to starting the wash, isn't that selection only for the wash cycle, while the rinse cycle will still be a cold water rinse and not warm?

I'll be sure to post a follow-up to how my first wash performed. I used Tide HE liquid with a little over the "2 mark on the measuring cap. I also used some Ultra Downy fabric softener, about a little over the lowest line on the cap. Timer says it will take about 1:25 with the load of towels I have in it.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness.... Tide HE at a little over the 2 mark on the measuring cup will probably be tooooooo much LOL. We have pretty hard water and when I still used Tide HE, I usually didn't go above the 1 mark! You will figure out pretty quickly what works for you though!

I was having problems with gunk building up on the bottom of the glass on the door and in the little fold on the rubber boot. I would wipe the door glass and it would be gross! It was suggested that I switch to powdered detergent and it has made a world of difference. No more black gunk at all!! I now use the Sears Ultra Plus Stain Fighting Formula and it works wonders for our laundry. $20 for a 275 load bucket that will last longer than that because I only need a half scoop. I still do pretreat stains such as grass stains, spaghetti sauce, etc.

I also only use vinegar now instead of fabric softner. There is no vinegar smell when the laundry is done. I fill the softener cup on the washer to about half full. Haven't had any trouble with static cling or anything else.

We do TONS of laundry here. I have been very pleased with our Duet-- and it is one of the original ones.... I have had it since 2002. I hope you have as good of luck as we have!

Keri

PS Are you watching the first load go 'round and 'round? I think most people are guilty of that LOL Our cats still watch it-- we call it Kitty TV LOL

• mcubed
    16 years ago

Enjoy Jazzspot!

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. Well I'm on my third load. All is well. Some vibration, but not so much to be worried. No movement/creeping of the washer.

iasheff, believe it or not, but not many suds at all. It did suds up somewhat at the 30 minute mark or somewhere along that time. I think that is when more water is released into the detergent dispenser. And I thought to myself, "Oh, Ohhhh". But the suds only covered 1/4 to 1/3 of the washer's door window. Then the washer started draining and shortly thereafter, the rinse cycle started. During the rinse, no suds were noticeable. Seemed very clear, no suds. After the wash completed, the clothes didn't feel soapy or have a detergenty smell. I guess the softener I used, gave the load a good rinse. The towel load dried in my trusty 15+ year old gas dryer in about 20 minutes.
    So far, I'm pleased. I have a load of white socks next. So I'll be choosing the "Whitest Whites" cycle and I'll be using bleach as well. Not that the socks load will need the bleach though, I'm just experimenting with the machine.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

Be aware that no visible suds INSIDE the drum does NOT necessarily mean there are no suds elsewhere. I've been running my newly refurbished Calypso with the front and back panels off to confirm the little leak from the bleach dispenser nozzle is fixed. The outer tub is translucent, I have the machine in my garage, and there's plenty sunlight to get a view of what's going on. Often during the wash phase and first several rinses (Calypso rinses five to seven times), there may be very little or no suds IN the wash basket but there's a layer of suds/foam in the OUTER tub and pump sump. It's all clear by the final rinse.

A better indication of proper dosing with HE detergent is if the wash water feels "slippery," and the laundry continues to come clean over the course of numerous washings.

• premier
    16 years ago

I thought if your suds covered 1/4 to 1/3 of the window that it meant it was to much. Wish other people would comment on this. I do think it is harder to see suds during the rinse with towels. You should try to run the rinse and spin option after your entire wash cycle is over to ensure that all the suds really came out.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just ran a rinse & spin cycle on this load that completed a "Normal" cycle. Large load, used "large load" portion of HE Tide liquid once again. No problem with sudsing. And no slippery feel to the water during the rinse & spin cycle. I may have given wrong info regarding the suds I had. I'd say the light sudsing was at the very lower portion of the door's window. Nothing to worry about IMHO.
    As you all know, it was my first couple of uses with a FL. I done three loads of towels (need to catch up with the laundry due to our old washer leaking), so I decided to use a large load dosage of HE Tide, just as is directed by the Tide label. Now I know the detergent manufacturers want you to use more than is necessary, because then you'd need to buy more. Since I'm experimenting here with this new FL, my first FL, I wanted to be sure that "IF" my wife or someone else that may use my washer, decides to use a "Full Load" portion of HE Tide with a full load of clothes, what would be the outcome? I would rather experiment myself than to have someone else do it. So, what I found out was a full load portion of HE Tide in a full load of towels, WILL NOT cause the SUDS signal to come on, nor look like over sudsing is occurring. And the rinse looks and feels to have rinsed out the detergent. I will likely use a less dose of detergent from now on. But I really needed to know, "how much detergent is too much?". I know that we have hard water, so that is probably the reason why over sudsing hasn't occurred with my first few washes with the amount of liquid HE Tide that I used.
    So far the WFW9400S is performing quite well and I'm pleased.

• garden_graphic_gal
    16 years ago

Jazzspot~~When you used the "Whitest Whites" cycle did the water level show at all through the window in either the wash or rinse cycles? I just ran this cycle and never saw any standing water in the drum. I thought that there would be at least 2-3 inches of water for the clothes to tumble through. I just ran a "Normal" cycle and got the same results. The water is dispensed into the drum, enough to soak the clothes, but all I see are wet clothes tumbling around.
    I am confused because last night I did a load of towels and saw some water at the bottom of the drum. Please help. I think my machine is not working right.

• jazzspot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

garden_graphic_gal, here is info I retrieved from a Whirlpool technical website, specifically for the Duet washers, which is taught to Whirlpool and appliance repair technicians regarding problems or issues that customers may have with their Duet washers:

Not enough water?
    This is normal. This washer is a low water usage system. Water should not be as visible as it was in your conventional deep fill washer. The amount of water varies by cycle and load size to give the proper care to each load.

To test for the proper water level:
    - Verify machine is properly leveled
    - Verify machine is empty
    - Select the normal cycle and press start
    - Allow the washer to fill normally (may take serveral minutes)
    - When the washer stops filling, press the Pause/Cancel button
    - Wait for door to unlock
    - Open door and rotate inner drum until one of the three plastic baffles is at the lowest 6 o'clock position
    - With baffle in this position, approximately 1/2 inch will remain above the water level (it will not be completely submerged)
    - If water level is not at the described level in the washer, contact service.

Not enough suds?
    This is normal. This high efficiency washer requires the use of HE detergent. HE detergent is a low sudsing detergent and therefore suds should not be as visible as with regular detergent.

As I stated earlier, the above info is from a valid technical document that the Whirlpool or appliance repair service folks are taught regarding the water level and sudsing issue in the Duet.
    Hopefully, this will answer your and others questions about the correct water level during your wash cycles in the Duet.

Tony