SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin5mi_gw

Seeking guidance: HVAC design for a house in Seattle

robin5mi
16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm currently doing a to-the-studs remodel of our house near Seattle, and it's about time to start thinking about our HVAC system. (I have an existing forced-air system with ducts that are ready for (and partially already in) the trash, though I do have a recent, possibly rescue-able furnace and static air filter device.)

Our needs are chiefly heat in the winter (it rarely gets below freezing even at night), and fresh air in the summer (we don't need A/C, but it would be nice to be able to get in cold outside air at night).

The house itself is about 3300sqft with lots of windows (new Andersen 200s), and most likely open-cell foam insulation in all walls, and closed-cell non-vented attics and cathedral ceilings (we haven't quite decided on this yet). We have an existing electric hot water heater that I have no particularly negative feelings towards, so I'm fine with not tying the hot water department into the HVAC department unless it's quite cost-effective. We have open walls, floors, and ceilings, so just about anything is feasible, though we are running a pretty tight ship budgetarily.

I would prefer a system with as little ducting as possible since we don't have a lot of attic space (most of it is cathedral), and running ducts between floors will require soffiting into an already rather short first floor. There is no crawlspace (on slab).

From what I have gathered to date, the ultimate system would be in-floor hydronic radiant combined with a ducted part-time-HRV, to bring in fresh cool summer air or clean heat-exchanged winter air. As such, step #1: Correct me if I'm wrong here.

And naturally, step #2: What are other good down-graded (cheaper, presumably) options? Some of the ideas so far:

• Hydronic radiant, and no HRV (just open windows, and add some ceiling fans)

• ibid, with a small split-unit AC and/or heat pump system for a few rooms
  • No hydronic radiant, but simple ducted forced-air heat/fresh air, possibly with an HRV to boot

Anything I can do to reduce duct work (as mentioned above) would be spiffy. Anything that lends itself to some partial DIY as appropriate would be spiffy.

While I'm only asking for ideas and not a complete system design (obviously not possible without much more details), if you happen to know of any good places in the Seattle area that could help me in a professional capacity, I'd appreciate references as well.

Thanks,

-robin

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz