SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

built-ins without the tv over the fireplace??

babs711
13 years ago

DH and I were discussing the built-ins for the living/family room (roughly 18x18) in our build. Of course we totally disagree. I do not want a TV over the fireplace. I don't like to look up while I'm watching TV and find it uncomfortable. I like the position we have our TV in now, within built-ins and at eye level. I guess DH has envisioned it over the fireplace. Of course, in our home now, we have no fireplace so coordinating the TV with a fireplace hasn't been an issue.

The TV we have now is a Sony 55" Grand Wega LCD. It's NOT a flat panel and cannot be mounted. I told him that in order to mount one we'd have to buy a new one anyway. He said that was fine (I think he wants to take the one we have now to his "man" room that's around 12x14). He also has issues with the TV not being centered in the room if it's off the the side in the built-ins or built-in on a corner tilt or even on a swivel and to the side. I think it will be completely fine. Then he made a comment about visibility and it being raised vs. where it is now and seeing it from the kitchen, etc. That's invalid as the distances will be about equal in that house as it is in our current house and you can see the TV just fine from everywhere at its height.

I'm looking online trying to find photos of built-ins WITHOUT the TV over the mantle. There are many more with it over the mantle. Do any of you have thoughts one way or another or photos so I can look at them?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County