SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scanmike_gw

Funcolors, hate to bother you but...

scanmike
14 years ago

I have been following your posts and trying to absorb and understand everything you are saying. Here's what I have grasped so far...don't mix yellow beige's with pinkish beige's, white in a low light room will not make the room look brighter, just more dim. YOu would need a full spectrum type of paint.

I just repainted my house and I know I made errors and should have learned or asked more but I guess I felt insecure and after seeing some of the amazing homes and decorator like outcomes, that only made it worse. So I attempted to do things myself.

I started with painting my dining room BM Rasp. Truffle. I had wanted a red room for a long time and got the guts and talked the husband into doing it. It came out great. My home, which was renovated by us 7 years ago was decorated with our old furnishing and I picked colors out quickly due to the overwhelming amount of work we had to do, while living in it. My prior living room was a pale, greyish green (BM peaceful jade) and dining room a very pale green (zenful), that looked like off white.

I thought I would paint the living room Tobacco Road, but it looked horrible. Too gold for the room if that makes sense. Made my beige (with greenish undertone sofa) look old and dirty. (well, it does need to be cleaned!) It looked like urine green in some areas. Someone told me that the woodwork, which is reddish in tone, was the cause of the greenish cast, and to stay away from green undertones. So she advised to try a red undertone and I tried BM Yosemite Sand and it looked like peach in the living room. I believed that to be true because I have RH Butter in my kitchen and it does blend well with my cherry wood cabinets. It doesn seem to have an orangy undertone to it. I became so confused and stressed that everyhing I saw were undertones and I couldn't make a choice. I went with RH Latte since it was almost the same color as the sofa and I knew it still had a slight greenish undertone. But at least it blended with the sofa. I know I should have gone deeper because it does look a bit blah and I had to add alot of red accents. I didn't know what to paint our entranceway and hallway so I painted it RH Cappuccino, which is a bit darker than what I thought. But the pale color I had in there was blah and I wanted something with more color. At least I felt the Latte and Cappuccino were in the same family. My house is old with alot of picture moldings (a pain to cut out) and the rooms are not really open to eachother so the red doesn't really clash with the hallway. The problem is this. The sunroom, which is really part of the house and we just call it that since it has 7 windows and gets alot of south and western light, is still casting a greenish cast to the Latte. It literally looks like a different color than what is in the living room. I will live with it but for the future could you tell me where I went wrong and what I should do for the future.If I get a new sofa, should I always avoid a pinkish beige since my eye tends to pick colors with greenish/greyish undertones undertones? What color sofa would go with the Latte, should I need one. Also, I need a new runner up the staircase cause I have been living with the prior owners blue, oldfashioned flower print one. Looks like my grandmother picked it out and I am 53!. The walls there are Cappuccino (is that a green or red undertone I see in it?). I know it's not pink. It's similar to Ellen Kennon's Cafe Au Lait. Had I known about Ellen's colors a few weeks ago I might have used her paint. I did have paint mixed by BM, but the Cappuccino was by RH since I couldn't get someone to match it correctly. Two paint stores had difficulty with Latte, but it's okay. I am sorry if I overwhelmed you, but I am really trying to learn and get things right. My dad was a house painted for 50 years ago and passed away 23 years ago. How I miss him. He could mix any color exactly using his paint tubes. But I came from a mainly BM white house (Linen, Bone, China White (husbands old favorite) and now want color. But, at the same time, color sometimes scares me. I think Rasp. Truffle has cured me of that. Thanks so much for listening to me. I am including the photos of my dining room, living room, and sunroom when painted TR (it looked worse in person and I showed the best part). I have come to accept I will never have one of those magazine type homes, nor a home as put together as I see on this forum, but I just want to understand how to make the most with what I have. Thanks again.

dining room. husband hates drapes so this is a compromise.

living room with Latte. See the room to the right...see how it looks green! I will try to take a new photo of it in full. Oh yeah, husband doesn't want his precious woodwork painted. Thinks it blasphomy to paint wood.

living room into dining room (I know the rug in living room doesn't really go anymore, but again, he won't replace it cause it was expensive.

sunroom with Tobacco Road, where it didn't look like urine. But you can see the sofa is more beige with green and the TR is more gold.

AGain, I apologize for all the questions.

I feel like I made my husband out to be a tyrant. He just did all the renovations and I have to respect his opinions and we try to compromise. Money is tight now due to the economy affecting his business and we have my daughter's wedding coming up in August. Oh yeah, that throw is not on my leather expresso couch and those pillows aren't in the sunroom. That's the hallway you see in the distance that is now Cappuccino.

Denise

Comments (15)