SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganggreen980

Soft food help

ganggreen980
14 years ago

I need some help with soft foods for the next two weeks. I'm scheduled tomorrow for my second round of gum flap surgery. This is when they cut the gums open, flap them up, clean under them, grind the bone if needed, then flap them down and sew them up again. Stitches are removed in 2 weeks. They do one quadrant at a time, so I've had it once, this is my second, and I have two more times to look forward to.

The last time, I ate fairly poorly as I just couldn't come up with a great variety of foods to eat. In all honesty, I think that part of the problem is that I find it very difficult to prepare one dinner for the family and something else for me.

So, for the first 48 hours, I need to stay on a fairly liquid diet, and I made do last time with Slim Fast shakes and yogurt and such. I really didn't each all that much during this period last time as I utilized some Vicodin to deal with the pain issues. I slept through most of the first 2 days.

For the following 2 weeks (until the stitches are out), the diet needs to be soft. Here are some of the foods they allow: Cheese, cooked cereals, cottage cheese, custard, eggs, fish, soup, yogurt, ground beef.

I should add that I live in the PNW where the weather is quite pleasant. However, when it does heat up, I don't use my oven or stove. Our house has no AC, and our kitchen is on the second floor. The house gets quite toasty. The weather for the next few days will be cool, warming up to around 80 over the weekend, and I don't know what it will be after that.

The "do not eat" foods include all breads (although I made and ate soft white bread last time), candy, crackers, dried fruits, gum, nuts, pastries, peanut butter, pizza, popcorn, seeds, chicken, meat, pork, raw or lightly cooked vegetables. Any spicy food is out.

I do have V8 juice.

From past experience, the issue is that during the healing period, the gums are not actually attached to the teeth, thus allowing food chunks to get up under them.

Does anyone have any thoughts for me?

Comments (12)