SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sshrivastava

Essential Oils - Your Laundry's Best Friend!

sshrivastava
13 years ago

I have recently discovered essential oils and have experimented with using them in my laundry to great effect! It's practically useless to put essential oils in the wash or even in the rinse - the scent left behind after drying is almost non-existent. Other tips I've found online are to put a few drops on a wash cloth and throw it into the dryer. That doesn't work either, as the heat of the dryer kills any scent the oils may have imparted.

Here's the key to maximizing the scent from essential oils - and it works very well. Wash and dry your laundry as usual. Once the laundry is dry, drizzle about 1/4 teaspoon of essential oil on a wash cloth, throw it into the dryer, and run the dryer on NO HEAT setting for about 10-15 mins. You will have naturally and heavenly scented laundry like never before. Adjust the amount of essential oil up or down depending on how much scent you want.

This is the perfect solution for those of us who can't stand the fakey smells in fabric softeners and detergents. I prefer a light scent to my laundry, as it has aromatherapeutic effects and I enjoy it. However, I hate the fakey gross artificial smells in detergents and fabric softeners. I use Persil for the main wash - the scent is gone by the time the laundry is rinsed - and Downy Free & Sensitive fabric softener. Perfectly soft, fluffy, and unscented laundry. After adding my makeshift lavender oil "sheet", my laundry smells wonderful!

Give it a shot - it truly works!

Comments (12)