SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Special ornaments as I take down the tree

sheilajoyce_gw
14 years ago

I finally finished taking down the decorations today. Just have a few ornaments to wrap and fit in storage.

But I sure went down memory lane as I wrapped them. I hung low on the tree the non breakable ornaments with our 3 year old grandson visiting for Christmas Day. I had wooden painted circus characters--the ring master, elephant, clown, seal balancing a ball on its nose, lion all from the mobile I used for my babies in their crib. When the last baby had outgrown that mobile, I could not bring myself to give it away, so I cut off the characters and the strings they hung by and put them on our tree with ornament hooks. There is a Shrinky Dink Christmas tree signed by everyone in DDs first grade class. A picture of her from Mini Scouts mounted in a wreath she had painted and hung on a red ribbon. Two creative "from" tags made by our older son in camp or class for gifts to his dad. A cute picture of him peeking out from the cut out hole in the tummy of a cookie cutter teddy bear from first grade. An ornament with his name spelled in sparkle from his teacher too. Ornaments they made in school and scouts and painted. Those are the treasures on our tree. Though some of the fancy ornaments given to me by my sister and adult kids may have cost more and have lots more sparkle, these kindle my heart.

So if your babies outgrow their crib mobile, turn the little characters into tree ornaments for memories year after year rather than give it away. The older your "babies" get, the more you treasure such reminders.

Comments (2)