easy method for plum jam?
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (8)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
Damson VS Italian plum VS other plums
Comments (24)Fellenberg, I believe, is considered similar to Italian, but as I said, I never have grown it. It tends to be rated a moderate cropper. I consider Italian here less than a moderate bearer so I'm guessing Fellenberg would likely be same. There's a lot of tricks I use to accelerate bearing so I'm not sure if Fellenberg actually can't be speeded up significantly. I consider Castleton a very flavorful prune plum but what makes it stand out is its reliability- it tends to set fruit in clusters almost like grapes. Some years other plums set little or no fruit but Castleton always seems to have a crop at all sites. It is also a natural semi-dwarf with a wonderful spreading branch habit. My favorite prune plum is Valor because it is very big and has that rich super-sweet quality and it can ripen from the last week of August here until the first hard frost. That is an extremely long picking time even for a prune plum. The reason I recommend Castleton over Valor is because of its consistency at many sites I manage. The funny thing is that at some sites plums are generally much more reliable than other sites for reasons I've never been able to decipher. That means that to really know what is best at your site you'd have to try several varieties and find out yourself but if you're just going to try one I think Castleton is your best bet. ACN carries it but you'd better order ASAP because the commercial growers are sucking it up....See MoreWant to try a Plum - Cherry Jam but can't nail down the recipe
Comments (9)Thank you for the advice and reassurance :) I tried it last night ... turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself! It is one of my first jams so I was fairly happy that it worked. I made 8 cups of fruit, and only used 1 package of pectin (which is only half what they recommend) but I figured that plums are a high-pectin fruit apparently and can be used without any pectin ... so I only put enough for the cherries. It "set" really well so I guess that was ok. I used basically the recipe I posted above except only 2 cups of sugar. It is certainly sweet enough like that but I was just worried because the sugar is meant to be the preservative, and I wanted there to be enough to be safe to store. If I used 2 cups of sugar with no-sugar-needed pectin and 8 cups of fruit, how long will it last on a shelf? Regular Jams usually seems to last a couple years, would this reduced-sugar option be less? I used allspice which was really nice with the plums and cherries. Tastes more like a fall jam than a summer one but that's ok ... it will keep till then. Next time I will try vanilla, that sounds incredible too!! Liqueurs are a great idea too, I hadn't even though of that aside from the Red Wine that was in one recipe I found. Thanks! I only had ground allspice but I understand what you mean about the cloudy jam ... mine doesn't seem to be (yet) but I will definitely keep that in mind and look for whole spices that can be removed :) So if I was going to use Sugar instead of Fruit Juice, would I just substitute it 1:1 Cup? The cherries seemed to be juicy enough without much added liquid so I don't think I'd need the juice for liquid. Next up (tonight hopefully) is Raspberry - Lemon Jam. Again, high pectin fruits so will try using 8 cups of fruit and only 1 pkg of no-sugar-needed pectin with 2 cups of sugar. Raspberries are pretty juicy too, I think....See MoreBeach Plum Jam Recipe
Comments (8)Could you be more specific then about what you are looking for? Are you wanting to mix them with other fruit of some kind? Otherwise most all the recipes for Plum Jams are the same - nothing more than the plums and various amounts of sugar. In other words, nothing unique. And wild plums are used just like any other plums and nothing unusual is required. You can mix them with just about any other fruit in equal proportions if you want something special and no specific recipe is needed. And BBB has a good recipe for Plum Conserve with orange pulp, orange peel, raisins, and chopped pecans. Page 32 in current edition. And Small Batch Preserving has a Plum Amaretto Jam. But those are the only unusual ones I can find in any of my books. Dave...See MoreCrystals in Jam problem, can this jam be saved??
Comments (12)It isn't always the case that it's simply undissolved or recrystallized sugar. If you taste one of the grains.. If it's really sweet, it's sugar. If it isn't and can even be very bitter, it's undissolved pectin that has gelled to itself like a grain of chia. There are instanced of pectin that require calcium not dissolving in the presence of too much sugar, too quickly in the recipe. Lower sugar pectins suffer from this problem. I discovered and looked into it a lot when a regular sugar jelly we make had a grainy and liquidy, despite being the exact same recipe. Reboiling (in this instance) at a very high heat for a few minutes helped a lot, but didn't really fix it entirely. The solution is to dissolve the pectin into any other low sugar liquids along with the fruit, before adding the sugar. Just another one of many things it can be I guess. :)...See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

FRUIT TREESHow to Grow Your Own Juicy Plums
Easier than other stone fruits and with a variety of colors to choose from, plums are a versatile garden addition
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Easy Fixes for That Nearly Perfect House You Want to Buy
Find out the common flaws that shouldn’t be deal-breakers — and a few that should give you pause
Full Story
ACCESSORIESEasy Green: Cut Electricity Use With 15 Unplugged Home Devices
Crank up the energy savings, courtesy of household items that come into power the old-fashioned way: manually
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD10 Easy Edibles to Grow in Containers
These herbs, vegetables and fruits are just as happy in a pot as they are in the ground
Full Story
LIFEEasy Green: Modern Homesteaders Stake a Claim
With more options for raising chickens, growing edibles and keeping bees than ever, suburban and city folk are rediscovering a lost art
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZHouzz Products: Save a Taste of Summer
Can't bear to part with the flavors of summer peaches, berries and tomatoes? Then jam on it!
Full Story
COLORPurple on the Outside
Are shades of grape, eggplant, lavender and plum the most daring colors for a home’s exterior?
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Fix a Stinky Garbage Disposal
No plumber’s fee or even a trip to the hardware store is required with these easy solutions
Full Story
FRUIT TREESHow to Grow Your Own Persimmons
Sturdy and easy to care for, these trees offer bright fruit through winter — and keeping them in bounds is no sweat
Full Story
UPHOLSTERYFurniture Clinic: End the Curse of Slouchy Couch Cushions
Prolong the life of your couch with this inexpensive fix that’s so easy, even a beginning sewer can do it
Full Story
rlegatesOriginal Author