SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Want to try a Plum - Cherry Jam but can't nail down the recipe

cziga
11 years ago

Another quick question, if I may ...

I was at a farmer's market this morning and saw some gorgeous plums (not the sour plums, but the sweet ones).

It got me thinking of a Plum - Cherry Jam, using some of the cherries I already had and the newly discovered plums.

I'm having a bit of trouble nailing down a good recipe. I have no-sugar-needed Benardin Pectin which I'd like to use. The paper inside instructs me to use 1 Cup of Fruit juice and optional sugar but no set amount per 4 Cups of fruit.

I would rather use a little bit of sugar instead of the fruit juice but I have no idea how much to substitute?? Does anyone know what the substitution ratio would be?

I'm having trouble because I can't find a good recipe for Plum - Cherry jam, only one or the other. I know this isn't an area where you want to experiment too much.

I was thinking:

4 Cups Plums, pitted and chopped

4 Cups Cherries, pitted and halved

1/4 cup Lemon Juice

1/4 Cup Water (to keep the fruit from sticking)

1 package No Sugar Needed Pectin

3 Cups Sugar

3/4 tbsp All Spice

Not sure about the spices, what would be good with both plums and cherries. Also I saw 1 recipe that added 2 tbsp of red wine, and I thought that might sound good. Does this sound safe to can, with the mix of acid, fruit, pectin and sugar?

How much variation is ok with the recipes that come on the inside of the pectin boxes?

Comments (9)