SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

HA! One year of planning for zip! Time for the hair pulling.

deedles
11 years ago

Well, not totally for zip, but honest to gosh people!

I feel like the racehorse in the Seinfeld standup who looks at the jockey when they get to the finish line and says (panting) "hey wait a minute! This is where we started! Why did I have to do all that running just to get back here?"

My very, very first idea over a year ago was to open up a wall between the end of our kitchen and the LR and have a counter with stools. I was shut down on that idea for both structural reasons and also because DH's wishes for the LR seating was that he could face the river view, the fireplace and the television all at the same time. Hence, we needed that wall for FP and TV. My thoughts about furniture placement for traffic flow and comfort fell upon deaf ears. My thoughts about facing windows with a view at night when watching TV shouldn't be a factor since it's DARK AT NIGHT went unheard. "Anyway", I was told, "something has to be there to support the ceiling." Ok. Dropped it and embarked on the last year of graph paper and Houzz and GW,etc etc etc.

Presented my darling DIY DH with the latest kitchen layout, refined to a razor sharp edge and he tells me how he'd like to have some seating at the peninsula. Can't. 44" aisle behind isn't big enough for either the overhang or the person parked there on a stool. "Well. We could take that wall down and have a counter there". (me with Popeye squinch look on face)

What about facing the river view with all the furniture placement, TV FP requests of yore?

"I've been thinking that facing the river view isn't all that important... I mean, when you're watching TV at night it's dark anyway". (me with eyes shooting wide open in disbelief of what I'm hearing)

What about the structural issue? "The joists run the other way, we don't need anything up there." (me, biting the crap out of my tongue and calculating if I want to be 'right' or I want to get my original vision of an open wall which I now can since it's dear darling DH's idea.)

(as an aside, I love that I've shot myself in the foot enough in 51 years and have learned to exercise much more control over what comes out of my yap. It's been hard won, I'll tell you)

What a good idea! sez I. See, that's why I like to show you things!

DH: (beaming) "I think that would really be cool, don't you?"

Yes. Yes I do.

I adore that DH of mine and it's a good thing for him that I do, lol.

Bye bye wall.

Comments (13)