SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Changing hair color after a very long time of being the same shade ...

IdaClaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Has anyone here had the same color hair for many years and decided it was a time for a change so just took the plunge? If so, how did that go for you? I know quite a few here have decided to embrace the gray, but that's more of a gradual thing for most. I'm talking about being one color, then presenting yourself to the world the next day as a different shade entirely. I'm walking that path right now. (I think!) I waver a bit, just because I'm so used to the way I've looked for years. I was very blonde as a child and as my hair naturally darkened in my teens I colored it to a much lighter shade. I've had my share of hair coloring horror stories over the years (at one brief point I was accidentally bright orange -- ick!), but for the most part have been happy being a very light, sunny blonde. Over the past several years I've been a bottle blonde, using L'oreal Excellence or Preference that looked great -- lots of dimension and believable color -- but inevitably it would go brassy once it had been on long enough for my roots to start showing (and purple shampoo didn't help much). Oh well, just recolor with the same shade, right? Did that for years.

I recently had my hair professionally colored at a chain salon. I loved what the stylist did -- the color was a bit darker and seemed to suit my 50-something-year-old complexion better than the uber-blonde. A couple of things about that experience soured me, however: (1) Sticker shock when it was time to pay the bill. It cost close to $300, due to a couple of different processes and a glossing treatment. The stylist (who has become a friend over the past year) did not consult with me about cost ahead of time, nor did she tell me what she was doing each step of the way and give me the choice to decline. I think she just assumed she had free reign to do whatever she felt my hair needed. That said, I think she should have communicated transparently about the whole process, and it's every bit as much my own fault (more so than hers even), since I utterly failed to proactively ASK what she was doing and what it would cost. Not sure what came over me, as I KNOW better than that. (2) The color, while beautiful initially, lasted only about 3 weeks. I have no clue why the darker hue reverted to a light blonde that actually started to take on a sickly yellowish hue. So gross. With no desire to return to the stylist to correct the problem, in desperation I went to Target and bought a box containing a medium blonde shade. No more lightest-of-the-light, but one with a fair amount of brown to it. I applied it. I LOVE it. It’s probably the closest I’ve been to my natural shade in many years. I’d actually like to go a little darker – I understand that “bronde” is a thing now (think Jennifer Aniston’s brownish-blonde mix), and that’s exactly what I’d like to have.

I keep sneaking glances of myself in mirrors, like “who IS that chick?” And strangely enough, I feel more like “me” than I have felt in a very long time – all by the change of a color. Seems like a change of hair color calls for a change of makeup as well, and I need to figure out what suits me best now. As to going darker, I’m torn about whether I should just try a box containing a dark blonde shade (since the medium worked so nicely), or seek out someone new who can add some lowlights. I was up entirely too late last night watching YouTube videos on how to DIY lowlights, but that intimidates me some. Anyway, I’ll figure it out I’m sure, but in the meantime I’d like to hear from anyone who has effected a hair color change, practically overnight. How’d it go?

Comments (63)