SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Do I have a leg to stand on: my remnant slab?

huango
11 years ago

Do I have a leg to stand on: my remnant slab?

Hola,
For those who purchased slabs, and not by square foot, what happened to the remnant piece(s)?
Was it specifically in your contract dictating what would happen to the remnant, if any?

My contract states that I need to purchase the slabs, not by square foot (because what would he do w/ the remnant?).
I had purchased 2 large marble slabs, using ~90% of 1 and ~50% of the 2nd slab. There was enough leftover to do 2 double-sink vanities (1 for my masterbath and 1 for the kids' bath).

Fabricator cut up my slabs, so the remnants are not usable.

Well, due to the Holiday time crunch/backlog, fabricator's goal was to get everything cut, not to maximize the size of remnants. I didn't know this or didn't think of it, and didn't think to remind marble sales rep about it before the final cuts (cut countertop first, then backsplash, then 5 marble window sills). So the remnants are not of usable size.

Rep's offer was for me to drive 75minutes to the job site to pick out 1 similar price point remnant slab, as a gesture for them dragging out the whole templating-installation process (mucho backlog). His stand is that the slabs are his property and he does not owe me any part of the remnants.

I don't know what they have in stock or what stones they're cutting that day/week, or what size(s) will be available as remnants.
- Do I just drive there every other week to find a working remnant?
- Do I just give up on this, and accept the fact that I'll have to pay for my vanities countertops?
- Do I have any recourse, since what happens to the remnants is not specified in the contract?

Appreciate your help and insight,
Thank you,
Amanda

I am so close to a functional kitchen, but yet, no electrician this week to hook up my fabulous Miele induction cooktop, etc. Sigh...

Comments (11)