SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

what to do when air from one duct is cooler than another

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

In a prior post I hypothesized that my bedroom (over a garage) was cooler than the other rooms on the second floor because perhaps by the time the heat got there it was blowing out a few degrees colder than other ducts on the floor.

I did an unscientific measurement. I have 2 thermometors, same brand/type each. I cranked the heat up to 74 from 70 to insure the heat pumps and strips came on. I put each thermomter in from of ducts in the same exact postion. I put one in the colder bedroom and one in another. I checked the temps over a half hour or so as the thing ramped up and down. There was always a 4 - 5 degree temp difference.

Maybe thats why my bedroom, even though we have a new heat pump that is definitely sending more air the the bedroom, is still not as warm as the rest of the upstairs. (I noted in my prior post that when I use a fin oil raditor and heat the bedroom up it seams to hold the temp for a couple of hours oonce the heater is shut so I suspected the heat pump simply was not getting the bedroom warm enough to start with)

My question is, what can I do? I'd think insulating around the ducts would help but how do you find them and how do you insulate them when the walls and floor are finished?

Ideas?

Comments (7)