SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grannygee_gw

what to do with air duct framed above window at sink.

grannygee
15 years ago

We are finally renovating our 30+ year old u shaped kitchen. I have a few challenges. There is a metal air duct box framed on one wall which has a window over the sink. It has paneling from box to ceiling and a wood valance connecting the cabinets. A flourescent light fixture is mounted to the wood framing underneath the duct. So lighting is another challenge. They also paneled the other walls to match although they do not have the duct. I wanted ceiling high cabinets but whatever you do effects the corners of the adjoining walls.

I suppose a master magician of a carpenter could work around the duct and make dormer cabinets? Hey, that's an idea and they could even be lighted! But I don't have the carpenter or money.

The guy at Lowes did a layout with cabs ending on left wall and no cabinets on the sink wall to the left of window. Cabinets pick up a little over from right side of window. Now there is an issue with lighting and how to build some type of decorative wood bridge or something over that window wall because the duct will still need to be covered with something decorative. We went with standard height Shenandoah Cherry Bordeaux cabinets. We plan to have a creamy buttery granite with natural tumbled tile backsplash. Our floors are a golden color tile and accent walls are creamy gold with red tapestry window treatments. Please help while husband is willing to fork out some dough. Afterall, he's promised 3 birthdays and 3 Christmases ago!

Comments (4)