SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patintle

Rodents damage air duct. What to do??? Help!

18 years ago

We found bunch of insulation and plastic came out of the heat register last week. Yesterday we found a HOLE in the air duct! I am pretty sure it's from rodents since there was dark brown droppings the size of 3/4" in the garage and our instant noodles were eaten. the rodents bait were taken as well. I would really appreciate advice on

i) how to make sure the rodents are out of the heating system,

ii) how to track where else the ducts might be damaged (could be inside the duct), and

iii) how should I fix/cleanup/ or replace the air duct!

We has a year contract with Terminix. But that does not seem to help preventing rodents! The pest control guy came in the put down 4-5 glue traps, but didn't capture any. Now I'm trying to find out on my own how to clean up and fix the ducts so we can get the heating system back on ASAP! It's pretty cold in the house since we turn off the heating system, being very concern about the health risk that might come witht the warm air that blows up from the damaged ducts with possible rodents feces. There are dark droppings INSIDE the duct right where the hole is (and the insulation came off). The insulation came up on the registers both on 1st and 2nd floor of the house. My house was built in 1989, The duct that has a hole is vinyl.

Again, anyone who has experience or knowledge on how to fix - I would really appreciate your help.

Comments (13)