SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youngndomesticated

2x Detergent cause Sticky Towels

youngndomesticated
15 years ago

Hi all,

About a month ago I started using Tide Ultra 2x Detergent with my 10 yr old Whirlpool TL washer. I started noticing that my clothes would come out of the washer a little sticky. I quickly realized that I was using too much detergent and reduced the amount to about 1/3. My clothes soon became normal (more or less), but this actually marks the beginning of my true problems.

After washing some towels with Tide and drying them, and I noticed that whenever I used my towels to dry my hands (or body for that matter), my hands would feel sticky for a couple of minutes, and then oily. To me, it was obvious that some sort of residue was on the towels. I rewashed the towels without using any detergent and noticed some soap suds still forming, meaning the initial wash/rinse did not get rid of the soap. By the second rinse cycle, no suds were forming at all. However, after using the towels to dry my hands this time, I had the same effect as before. After reading the Tide forum and seeing all the post of people getting rashes from using Tide, I figured that this sticky thing was some Tide specific residue and I should just ditch using Tide Ultra 2x.

I saw some people having success with All, so I went out and bought a bottle of All Ultra 3x. First thing I did was test it out on the towels to see if the sticky stuff went away. Nope, still there. I figured that maybe it took a couple of washes before the stuff would get out. Meanwhile, I also determined that TBS was the amount to minimize sudsing and allow for a good rinse. However, today my mom washed a towel (using ½ TBS of All) that has never been washed with Tide. I used the towel today to dry my hands and I noticed that sticky sensation. Actually, I noticed the sticky sensation before I learned that she had washed it.

Has anyone had this feeling of stickiness in their towels before using this 2x/3x stuff? ItÂs manageable if itÂs sticky on the hands, but when I have to use it on my body after I shower, it feels rather nasty. IÂve never had any issues in the past using the regular Tide 1x or any other 1x detergent for that matter with this washer/dryer. I did think ahead and purchased a box of CharlieÂs soap. My hope is that it will remove any of the residues on these towels and my clothes and make them feel the way cotton was intended to feel. Why did doing laundry suddenly get so complicated?

Comments (26)