SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pete_p_ny

Heating / Air Return in Basement

pete_p_ny
16 years ago

Attempting to heat my basement...my whole house in on one zone, so I know it would be optimal by no means, but I taped into the main supply and ran 2 - 6" round feeds to a wall and then transtioned it to 6" oval to floor registers. I was considering running a 3rd. Several questions:

1) Can taping off like this through off the rest of the home, or should I be "OK".

2) Can heat work OK running horizontally, and then down to the floor register...or am I better off venting at the ceiling?

3) My most important question...In regards to the air return...on about 4 joist cavities in the basement, there is sheet metal covering the joist cavity which serves as the "duct" to return for the first floor air return registers. Can I tap into this for my basement return. I was considering cutting several square and/or rectangular holes. Other than this, I am trying to figure out how to get a return because the accessible walls have the new supply feeds.

In regards to #3...this whole set up kinds seems strange to me. I never knew it existed until I tore the sheetrock down in my basement. Is this normal? Someone at work mentioned this was the "cheap" way to do things years ago. How did they connect the sealed off joist to the main return?

Comments (4)