SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanhughes_gw

Basement Cold Air Return

ryanhughes
16 years ago

I have a cold air return in my basement. I honestly don't know if this was added on when they finished the basement (my best guess) or if they were there when the home was built. The thing that concerns me is this return brings in more air than any other return in the house it seems. Is this normal for a cold air return (to bring in a lot of air)? It seems like they just tapped in to the main trunk line for return air and that's why it brings in so much air (as well as it being so close to the air handler). When the air handler turns on, the basement door is pulled shut by the velocity of the air. The supply air in the basement really doesn't seem to blow that hard; I believe it is just flex duct tapped into a main supply air trunk line (I believe the system consists of two main trunk lines for supply air).

Anyway, there's my situation. I was hoping someone could explain whether or not this is normal for cold air returns to bring in a lot of air (I guess this is important) and whether or not my situation needs attention.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)