SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Quincy crossed the Rainbow Bridge

moonie_57 (8 NC)
13 years ago

Our beautiful golden retriever, only 3 years old. The goofball of our furkids. And unbelievably, he is gone.

He had begun cluster seizuring wednesday morning. This has been going on for 2 years now but has gotten progressively worse these past 6 months. He was in bad shape and after starting to seizure again Thursday morning, I took him to be put to sleep.

Well, I was going to say how devastated we are but so many of you know exactly what we are going through.

Please say a prayer for DH who is having a particularly hard time.

Quincy's puppy pic

Comments (33)

• JennaVaNowSC
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful puppy! My heart goes out to you and your DH.

• terilyn
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry. Words can never express the sorrow.

• Related Discussions

Another Rainbow Bridge crossing

Q

Comments (6)
    Lizalily, my dear... I feel what you feel, having just experienced this same tragedy... if you could see me right now, you'd think I just lost another "best friend"... my heart goes out to you... Corie and Emma are now in His hands, getting to know each other, chasing bunnies and laying in the perpetual sunshine of heaven. They have no pain, they are at peace, and their memories will live on in our hearts... No other pets can replace those two lovable little creatures, but Maia and Josie will do their very best to step up and help us forget the sadness that comes with loss. Dogs are so intuitive... Maia has been incredibly wonderful since Emma's passing... and I know that the moment you hold Josie in your arms for the first time, there will be an understanding you and I cannot fathom... and Josie will know exactly what needs to be done to make you smile... I'm so sorry, Lizalily... if I could reach through this monitor and hug you, you know I would...
    ...See More

Rainbow Bridge doors

Q

Comments (24)
    Oh Mitch, I'm so sorry. I remember her well, she truly had that French Canadian flair! So many of our furbabies have crossed that bridge since I've been posting here and I think I remember them all. So important in our lives, so much joy, we miss them all.
    ...See More

Another Rainbow Bridge crosing

Q

Comments (21)
    Thank you all for the support. It's funny, when we had to put Mojo down last August I took a couple of pictures of him early that day. Afterwards I looked at those pictures and I could see how tired he looked. His eyes looked shallow and his fur had lost it's luster. I didn't notice that looking at him on a daily basis. I didn't take any pictures of Chessa yesterday because of that. But looking at the picture I posted above as well as others from the past, I can clearly see a different dog. She almost looks fat in those photos, but she was never overweight. It's just that I got used to seeing her as she was at the end....nothing but skin and bones. She was so skinny. Her coat was no longer shiny and lustrous, and her eyes were dull. It makes me know that we did the right thing. She was ready. Doesn't make it any easier, doesn't make us miss her any less, doesn't keep my eyes from welling up. But I realize that am sad for me. She is definitely in a better place. Seagrass, I love that quote! Linda
    ...See More

Elvira has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

Q

Comments (55)
    Losing your so loved Elvira is so hard to bare, I know. That love is what drives most who loose one to put themselves in position to go through it over and over again by bringing in a new pet to love. The love of a dog or cat we want to have always in our lives. Elvira is gone but will never be forgotten even though you can love and be loved again.
    ...See More
  • alisande
    13 years ago

Omigosh, Moonie, I'm so sorry. What a beautiful dog. Only three years old makes it worse, I know.

We lost our Holly to a seizure disorder, and I remember how scary those seizures were, and how hard on her. She died during one of them while I was at my parents' house in Florida, and she came to me in my dream that night to say goodbye. I knew she was gone as soon as I woke up.

Knowing Holly's spirit survived, I know I will meet her again someday, as well as all my other animals. And you and your husband will be reunited with the beautiful Quincy.

(((Moonie and DH)))

• Marcia Thornley
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry. Yes, I do know what you are going through. We lost our beloved Wheaton at only 4 years old. It is so hard.
    A friend sent this to me. I hope it helps you too.

Years ago, I owned the very best dog in the world.
    I was a child when we got her. She was a graceful brown hound, a foundling who taught me that our pets are not purchased, but ordained.
    She romped when I did and knew how to smile in that funny way that only some dogs have. She grew up with me, always there when I needed her. My grown hand still remembers the sleek bump on the top of her head and that gentle divot just past her nose that fit my index finger just perfectly.
    She passed away during one of my college vacations. My heart broke then, and I knew that there would never be another dog like her, and there hasn't been. I was sure that I could never love another dog as much as I'd loved her.
    Fortunately, I was wrong about that part.
    My next dog came into my life when I was married. My husband traveled for a living, and I was often lonely. This dog grew into a lumbering Wolfhound Sheepdog mix who taught me patience.
    He was a large, grizzled sentry, that dog. He rarely left my side until the children were born, and then he became their guardian, too. I can still feel that swirl of fur along his back and the weight of his chin when it rested in my lap.
    When he passed away, my heart broke. As much as I had loved that childhood dog, I had been wrong. This was the very best dog in the world. There would never be another dog like him, and there hasn't been. I was sure I would never love another dog as much as I'd loved him.
    I was wrong again.
    We got the next one, a loping black Lab Terrier mix, when the children were little. He taught me the importance of adapting. He was everyone's dog from the beginning, and that was just as it should be. When he played tug of war with the children, he dragged them across the kitchen floor as they shrieked with laughter. He always seemed to sleep in the room of the child who needed his company the most.
    These days his face is expressively gray, and he spends more time with me, since the almost-grown children aren't around so much. The other day my oldest, home from college, played tug of war. We all laughed, just a little, as the dog was gently pulled across the kitchen floor.
    He is, of course, the very best dog in the world. I will never forget that exquisitely soft tuft of fur behind his ears or the tickly feel when he nuzzles. There won't be another dog like him.
    And that's okay, because we will never be at this point in our lives again.
    Sometimes I've wondered why two species that get along so well should have such different life spans. It just doesn't seem right. And then I wonder if that's part of the lesson to teach us that love itself has a spirit that returns again and again and never really dies.
    It's amazing, in a way, how they bring to our ever-changing lives exactly what we need at the moment. They make room for one another, this family of dogs who has never even met. And they fit into our families, into our lives, into our memories, and into our hearts because they always have been and always will be the best dogs in the world.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Yes, you are right, many of us know the sorrow. For some of us the sadness has lessened, but we still remember our lost furbabies. My heart felt sympathies for your loss. May you soon be able to smile at your memories of your sweet Quincy. (((((Hugs)))))

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

i am very sorry! that is soo sad for you and your family. you guys are in my thoughts ~ liz

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

dang I am so sorry!!!

• socks
    13 years ago

He was adorable. So very sorry for your loss. Know you will miss him so much.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

I am so, so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy.

• williamsburgjane
    13 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can understand what you are going through. Just remember the rainbow bridge.

• grinch_gut
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for you loss! I miss my 2 goldens sooo much they are just wonderful.....Hugs to you and your family! Stacy

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you, and mush... that was very touching and a bit of similarities to life with our dogs here in our home. I'm so glad you posted that.

alisande - would you care to elaborate on your dream about Holly? I'm interested because of the way events unfolded within hours of Quincy passing. Although I tend to be skeptical about many things, sometimes things happen that just make you go "hmmm...", so I do keep an open mind.

So here's what happened....
    I took him to the Vet first thing yesterday morning. He already had a port in his front leg from his visit the day before. It was easy for them to give him the injection because of the port, so I decided to have it done in the car. I was rather surprised at how quick and peaceful it happened. Because I had gone by myself, I decided to sit quietly for a little while, just Quincy and me, before I drove back home.

DH has been laid off since the end of October and his unemployment had still not come through... after 13 weeks. And for 2 weeks I have been waiting to hear from a prospective employer. I had just gotten into the back seat with Quincy when the phone rang. They called and asked me to come in for an interview in just 2 hours. So, I had to keep my emotions under control, get Quincy home and help DH bury him, then go for the interview. DH was an emotional wreck so it made it difficult for me to not completely lose it. Then, as we are burying Quincy, we got a message alert and found out DH's unemployment had gone through. And I thought, WOW, Quincy works fast!

I just chose to think Quincy had a paw in that. :)

Anyway, I got the job. After the interview I came home and totally lost it the moment I walked into the house. It was very difficult holding in those emotions for such a long period.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Moonie, I am so sorry for your loss. It surely does sound like Quincy is still loving and taking care of you. Big hugs from me to you.

• nanny98
    13 years ago

I am so sorry too. Nanny

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

It's hard! I feel your pain!

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

Moonie, you are a real trooper. I don't know how you did it. Quincy was so beautiful. I had an Irish Setter that had a seizure. The vet said it could be the beginning of many or it may never happen again. In my case, it never happened again, but it is a frightening thing to watch. I can't even imagine dealing with cluster seizures. I'm so glad you got the job and hope everything works out for DH, too.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

What a cute little pup. It is so sad when pets hurt. You did the right thing for his suffering. Congrats on the job too.

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

((((Moonie)))) 3 years is just too short. I'm so very sorry.

I'm glad things seem to be working out for you and your hubby, I don't doubt that our loved ones (human and other) 'work' from the otherside to help us out.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Oh I'm so sorry. Such a young age. My little terrier died young, too, (suddenly, and thank God that I didn't have to make any heartbreaking decision), and I went through the loss of my friend's 2 labs, also too young to go.

Your Quincy-as-a-pup--just adorable! Why does God make our dogs so cute? Because he (or she, depending on your view) knows we are suckers. And it's a test: Are we willing to accept the responsibility in exchange for unconditional love. You passed that test. I like to think that as pets pass to the bridge, they venture into their new job: Finding just the right animal that deserves to be your new family member, and waiting and watching you to know when you are ready.

I do believe they are looking down on us. And my terrier is going nuts up there seeing that my latest pup is playing with her toys! (Well, all except the cool "talking" toys--those will have to wait until the newest one stops destroying stuff--she has fierce teeth!)

I found that being forced to concentrate on my job helped distract me -- for 8 hours a day, at least. So congrats on the new job, and the unemployement benefits.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a dear sweet looking pup. Three years is too young. I've been there many times, and it never ever is easy. There had better be dogs in heaven .I'm sure there are.

• kathy_
    13 years ago

Big soft hugs and a prayer for you and hubby. Life isn't fair sometimes. Quincy was lucky to have had your love.

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

Oh, gosh. I am so sorry for your loss, Quincy was the cutest puppy ever and I'm sure you'll be missing him forever. Please focus on the good times, though, so your heart can heal.

And congrats on keeping it together and getting that job, it shows what a strong woman you are and Quincy would be so proud of you.

(((((Moonie and DH)))))

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

Hugs to you both for losing Quincy at such a young age. He was about the same age as Harley when he started having them. Harley is now 11. So sorry you have had to go through this.

Sue

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

Huge hugs for you and your DH Moonie!

I lost my heart dog October 16th. The day we planned Madison's 7th birthday party. All the GB's were here and family. I cried and cried and had to pull it together for the little ones so they could have their party. I don't know if I could have done it enough to go to a job interview. My hat is off to you. I know it hurts so terribly bad!
    I still think of our little girlie girl Miss. I tear up often. It isn't all day long anymore. I will never,ever forget her as I know you won't with Quincy. I remember you posting pictures of him way back when you first got him. He looked like such a total love. It doesn't take long for them to wrap those little paws around your heart.

My DSis had a Doberman that had terrible seizures also, he was young when she had to put him down also I am thinking around Quincy's age.

I know you are heartbroken, please know I'm keeping you close in thought.

(((Moonie and DH)))

• Kathsgrdn
    13 years ago

((((Moonie & DH)))) What a beautiful dog. I still miss, Sheba, my Golden Retriever mix. ) :

• margad
    13 years ago

What a shame to lose such a beautiful pet

• littlebit_gw
    13 years ago

I am so sorry.. Hugs

.I crossed Bear over in March of 09 and I still find myself crying over him.

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry. I know he will be missed.

• ritamay91710
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry about Quincy. I know how bad it hurts.........

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is all very touching. All I can say is that you all are the greatest!

Thanks for the kind words, thoughts, prayers and hugs.

• kacram
    13 years ago

I'm so very very sorry, Moonie!

• samkaren
    13 years ago

Moonie
    What a sweet photo. I know you are devastated but at least you did the right thing and Quincy isn't suffering.

I am so sorry for you and your family.

((HUGS)))
    SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• cynic
    13 years ago

It's so sad to lose a friend and even sadder when they were cheated out of a normal lifespan. Maybe it's a comfort that he touched your life for a short time and accomplished a lot in a short time.

I know how you felt to have some time with him. It's sort of therapeutic in a lot of ways. Calm and peaceful in a way and you can have a talk with your friend. My best to all of you.

While that part is so sad, it's great that you got the job and hub got the unemployment. Must be on quite a roller coaster of emotions. Take care.