SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Ole joyful's gift (mainly for newcomers)

joyfulguy
13 years ago

The reason that it's mainly for newcomers is that it's a re-gift ... or a reiteration of the same gift that I've offered around here for several Christmases.

This should provide an interesting sidebar to your life, maybe become something of a hobby ... and save you hundreds, possibly thousands, over the years.

I suggest that, over a period of time, you write down the names of everyone that you've known, through the years, and how to contact them, including email. Write down what you know of their interests, training, skills, work, vacation trips and other ideas about which you might like to seek info, later.

Best keep it on computer, for ease of editing.

When you are considering changing cars, check with your list of friends as to what kind of cars they've had and what kind of results they experienced.

Should you choose to seek a used one, ask your list for "mechanic" and it may show you half a dozen, while you only remembered a couple, if that.

Check with them to see what you should check on auto candidates, and ask whether they'd be willing to check out some that interested yiou.

If someone takes a quick survey and listen and tells you to get out of there with that piece of junk - probably it's worth $10.00. If there's some more checking, $20.00 ... and if one of them finds one that really interests him/her and gives it a thorough checking - $50.00.

If you save one trip to the garage, and you'd laid out a couple of hundred in rejecting half a dozen possible cars, you'll be money ahead.

When you want some information about some issue, get in touch with some of the people that you've known who are familiar with such situations, e.g. if you're thinking of vacationing at some location, check as to who's visited there: often they'll offer some useful suggestions.

Quality references to plumbers, electricians, tire sales agencies, furnace repair guys, renovators, etc. are very important.

Thinking of changing careers? Quite likely one or more of your acquaintances has been there, done that. Pick her/his brains.

As people become aware of what you're doing, they may come to you to ask you to refer them to someone, in which case they'll owe you a favour.

You may decide to get out a message, from time to time, to several of the friends, or even to the whole gang, and if there's some useful info, and some humour, people may look forward to getting such messages from you.

This idea may be somewhat less useful now than in earlier years, due to "Youtube" and "Facebook" ... but it seems to me that there's a different dimension to this, and much more depth and intimacy to it than to their concept of what constitutes a "friend".

Though it'll take some time, after a number of years, I imagine that you'll decide that the time and effort has been worthwhile ... and it will have revitalized some former friendships, quite likely. In addition to having saved you good chunks of money, or frustration, or pain, from time to time.

If you have comments, suggestions or questions - let's hear 'em, whether here or by personal correspondence.

And ... frugal me ... it didn't cost me anything but some keyboard time.

ole joyful

P.S. There's a rumour around that "frugal" and "cheap" ain't the same: think thare may be anything to it?

o j

Comments (2)