SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

When And Why To Buy Organic, Natural, Hormone-Free, Etc?

John Liu
12 years ago

Having just paid $10 for a 3.75 lb whole ''naturally raised and antibiotic free but not actually organic'' chicken at Wholly Expensive Foods, versus typically $8-9 for a 5 lb ''hormone and antibiotic filled inhumanely raised and unaturally plump from the company that pays bribes'' bird at Ye Olde Big Supermarket, I wonder - again - about how I resolved that dilemma.

You know, the dilemma of when do you pay more for organic, natural, free range, local, genetically untampered and happy-right-until-it-was-killed food - let's call it ''organic-ish'' food - versus paying less for, uh, the opposite - call it ''conventional'' food?

Assuming you sometimes do one and sometimes do the other, how do you make that choice? Why and based on what factors?

Just to start us off . . .

I only buy organic-ish chicken a quarter of the time, maybe. I think it tastes better, and I know it has a lower rate of risky bacteria (E. Coli, salmonella) and a much lower rate of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. But if I'm in Ye Olde Supermarket and all they have is conventional, I get it. If I'm in a place that has the choice, I'll usually buy the organic-ish bird.

I seldom buy organic-ish beef, in which I will include grass-fed critters. Too expensive and I've not found a taste difference. Always buy my pork at the Chinese market, where it is all conventional. Never seen an organic pork belly.

Fish don't really offer the choice, but I do avoid fish and shellfish farmed in China, and try to get US raised stuff. Not for political reasons.

For fruits and veggies, it depends on cost and whether it's stuff you peel. That's my rationale. Since you do peel most fruit and veg, I end up buying almost all conventional.

We do always buy organic hormone-free milk. I have a rationale, but the main reason is my kids love Horizon Organic DHA milk - they say it tastes better, and I'm happy to have them drink milk rather than soda.

But enough about what I do and the inadequate reasons if any for it. What choices do you make and, just as importantly, why? Is there actually evidence that one choice is better for us, health or tastewise, than another?

Comments (27)