SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

I'm Making Wine!!!! (pics)

gardengrl
15 years ago

I promise, no gross pictures of animal pieces-parts!

Well a few of you know that I mentioned wanting to learn how to make wine. I've actually wanted to learn this a while ago, and well...it sort of fell right in with canning and preserving. If you can follow a recipe, you can make wine.

So, at the beginning of the year I started researching and reading and learning. There's still a TON more to learn out there, but I think I have a decent handle on it so far. The thing about making wine is that it takes a while before you learn if you're even good at it. It's not for the impatient, which is perfect for me because I'm impatient as h*ll! :-)

Take a look at what I've been "cooking":

Here's my first Strawberry Wine during secondary fermentation. See how cloudy it is? It can take months to clear (sediment to fall) depending on the wine. It looks like strawberry milk here:

Here's a 3 gallon batch of Banana Grigio (yes, a banana wine!). It's just starting to clear here:

And a batch of Lemongrass Mint Wine. It's still clearing and I'll bottle it this month:

And here's the final result of my Banana Grigio and Strawberry Wine:

The Banana Grigio tastes fabulous! It has a slight banana nose but is full-bodied like a Chardonnay. A little sweet and a perfect summer sipper. This has been A LOT of fun and a bit addicting (no...not drinking the alcohol!) It's a bit like canning, once you get started, the possibilities are endless!

I just started a batch of Oaked Cherry Wine yesterday and have a batch of Orange Spiced Mead that will be great for the holidays.

If anyone is ever interested in learning how to do this, I can help guide you! Here's a link to my blog that describes it a little more in detail:

Here is a link that might be useful: Just the Right Size

Comments (22)