SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Long: New Custom Entry Door is Wrong!

judithn
13 years ago

Hello GWers! I ordered a new entry door (door, two full sidelights, overhead transom window) from a reputable local lumberyard. The door is manufactured by BWI, a national millwork company. I originally ordered the door on 11/21/10. A door was delivered 12/21 but BWI did not get the order right. The threshold was aluminum and I ordered bronze. The door jambs (the door frame, basically) was dark green, and I ordered white.

The lumberyard sent that first wrong door back and resubmitted the order. The new door arrived yesterday. It was wrapped tight. The contractors removed my old door to prepare the opening for the new one. Lo and behold, the new one is still wrong. I ordered paintable composite jambs but what I got are jambs wrapped in a shiny vinyl material, like vinyl siding, that is very glossy and does not look like it should be painted. Even worse, the vinyl coating is not pristine so if I wanted to leave it alone it already looks dirty and dinged up starting out.

There are numerous other dings and scratches. The screws BWI used to set the transom window (window over the door) are too long and the tore through the bottom of one of the jambs. The interior of the door has gouges (the contractor says he can fix these w/Bondo and sanding but I'm like "it's a new door, why isn't it perfect?" Furthermore, IT ISN'T WHAT I ORDERED!!!

It looks like something from the seconds pile. The biggest worry is that thing with the jambs, I have NEVER believed painted vinyl can hold up the way a paint-ready composite material can. The owner of the lumberyard said I was getting something that would look like Azek board, not this shiny glossy stuff. I do not want future maintenance headaches because this vinyl like stuff doesn't hold paint.

The contractor/installer came yesterday and ripped out my old door. The whole front of the house was opened before I realized the problems with this new door. We had to let them put it in or our house would not have been secure. Not to mention freezing cold!

The owner of the lumberyard is coming to look at the door today. He says the rep from BWI says the glossy vinyl jambs can be painted -- I'm not so sure. BWI has made too many mistakes to be trusted and all I can see is years of constant battle with a surface that was not what I ordered and should not have been painted.

The total cost of the door is $2200. The cost of installation is $1600 (with extra trim work to fix rotten parts around the door. THis door is supposed to last for the life of my house.

If you were me, would you accept a settlement from the lumberyard for this partially installed door? Would you order a new door elsewhere and start from scratch? The lumberyard owner has already said he would pay for the cost of removing this door and reinstalling another one. I wish someone at the lumberyard had really inspected the door before it came out and caught this but the door was wrapped up and I understand they didn't want to unwrap it. Once they saw the materials were the right colors they basically figured it was all set.

All I can say is if you need a door or windows or ANYTHING made by BWI stay away. They have been nothing but a nightmare to work with. Their catalogs say they can produce custom color combinations and quality products but this has certainly not been true in my case.

Comments (6)