SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happylady1957

Chilled Soup Anyone?

happylady1957
13 years ago

It's supposed to get kinda hot here over the weekend, and I got to thinking of chilled soup. Does anyone have a recipe they are really happy with? Anything but seafood, due to allergies of DH.

TIA!

Comments (8)

• John Liu
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gazpacho is easy, and yummy. Creamy gazpacho sounds good too, I've not made it but the latest Cooks Illustrated has a promising-sounding recipe. Make a pitcher of sangria too. Not very creative, sorry.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Yep. These are both T&T.

Gazpacho

3 c tomato juice
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 T fresh parsley, chopped
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/8-1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
    2 green or yellow peppers, seeded & chopped
    1 cucumber, pared, seeded and chopped
    2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
    1 small tomato, chopped

In large bowl combine tomato juice, garlic, parsley, cumin, salt, pepper and hot sauce.

In small bowl, combine chopped vegetables. Set aside 2 cups vegetables and add remaining vegetables to juice mixture.

In food processor or blender, puree the reserved 2 cups vegetables until smooth. Stir into soup and chill.

Here's one I got from the forum posted by Sillysillyme Strawberry Bisque From Carnival Cruise Lines 3 c strawberries, washed and hulled 1\-1/2 c water 3/4 c sugar 3 T lemon juice 1 t grated lemon peel 1\-1/2c red wine 1 c. sour cream fresh mint leaves Directions: Combine strawberries, 1/2 c water, and sugar in a blender. Cover and blend the mixture until pureed. Stir in lemon juice, peel, 1 c. water and wine. Stir in sour cream until blended. Chill for several hours before serving and garnish with mint. Posted 4/07 by Sillysillyme

And here is one from Marilyn that has been on my "to try list" for a while. I'll be making it as soon as we get some of that heat that you all are weary of already!

Cold Summer Soup
    posted by DanaIN

2 hot house cucumbers; peel, seed, dice
    Leaves from 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 green onions; sliced
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 honeydew melon; peel, seed, dice
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 Pablano chili; roast, peel, seed, dice (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 rib celery; chopped fine
    1 cup lime yogurt
    2 tablespoons pear or rice wine vinegar
    1 lime
    Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh mint, chopped
    Fresh parsley garnish

Combine cucumbers, onions, melon, chili, celery, vinegar, mint, cilantro, olive oil and salt and pepper in a large bowl (the cucumbers will give off a lot of juice). Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill. To serve, spoon the soup into bowls and spoon some yogurt on top, drizzle with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve also with green grapes.

*The Pablano chili pepper is optional in thisItÂs very good without it too.

Linda

• Related Discussions

x-post: Anyone have a BigChill?

Q

Comments (6)
    Here is a copy of one of my posts on another thread when I was debating my fridge and was looking to see if anyone else had any information: "Decided to call Big Chill during a break here at work - very nice to talk to! Differences between Big Chill & Northstar appear to be: (1) manufacture - Big Chill uses Whirlpool and he advised you can check out any of the 20.9 cf line as they all use the same compressor to get reviews; (2) metal (Big Chill) versus powder-baked fiberglass (Northstar); and (3) price (seems Northstar is out of Canada which results in the higher pricing). Other info on Big Chill: 1 year warranty on parts & labor, 5 year warranty on the compressor. I asked about how long to expect to receive after ordering and he advised about 3 weeks." Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Anyone own a Big Chill Range?

Q

Comments (0)
    Someone mention in a posting of mine a while back the Big Chill Range and I'm wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it?
    ...See More

I have a big chill retro stove having probems with broiler anyone else

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a big chill retro stove having problems with broiler does anyone else have this problem?
    ...See More

has anyone used Sherwin Williams Pediment or Big Chill?

Q

Comments (0)
    I’m trying to nail down a wall color for our new home. Pediment and Big Chill look nice in pictures but just wondering if anyone has personal insight on them. Would Snowbound be a good trim for either of those colors?
    ...See More
  • lindac
    13 years ago

Here's one from my files.
    Soup,chilled cucumber
    I call this Bridal Luncheon Cucumber Soup, because I have served it at several bridal luncheons. The card says it's from "Cooking Across the South" a cookbook of my daughter's.
    2 large cucumbers
    1 clove of garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp dry dill weed
    1 cup lemon juice
    2 8 oz cartons of sour cream
    2 cups half and half
    And milk to make it thin enough
    Chopped chives and cucumber slices for garnish
    Peel and seed the cucumber and puree in a blender.
    Pour in the sour cream and 1/2 and 1/2 and mix well....add milk as needed to thin if desired.
    Chill and serve garnished with chives and cuke slices.

And another:
    CHILLED TOMATO SOUP W/AVOCADO CREAM (serves 8)
    Soup:
    2 cups chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped carrots
    1 TBL crushed garlic
    1/4 cup canola oil
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 tsp salt
    1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne
    4 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped or two 28 oz can chopped tomatoes, drained
    Avocado Cream
    2 very ripe avocados, chopped
    2/3 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    4 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp salt
    Garnish: chopped green onions
    For the soup, saute the onions, carrots & garlic in the heated oil in a large saucepan over medium heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, salt & cayenne. Simmer 30 minutes. Increase the heat & add the tomatoes. Cook 10 minutes longer.
    Puree the mixture in batches in a processor. Combine in a bowl & cover. Chill up to 24 hours.
    For the avocado cream, combine the avocados, sour cream, cream, lemon juice & salt in a processor & process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl & chill, covered until serving time.
    To serve, ladle the soup into chilled bowls & spoon 1 or 2 TBL of the avocado cream over the top. Garnish with chopped green onions.~~Oh My Stars

And another:
    COLD CORAL SOUP
    3 large cucumbers
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 cup tomato juice
    1 Tbs. tomato paste
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 quart sour cream
    1/4 cup dry fino sherry
    12 small fresh basil leaves for garnish
    Peel the cucumbers and slice in half lengthwise. Spoon out and discard the seeds. Cut into chunks and place the cucumbers in a blender or food processor. Add the onion, tomato juice, and tomato paste, and process until pureed.
    Pour the mixture into a large bowl, add the broth, then whisk in the sour cream and sherry, beating until well incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
    Lade into chilled soup bowl and float 2 or 3 basil leaves in each. Makes 4 to 6 servings
    Source: La Bonne Soupe cookbook
    And another:
    Sherried Carrot Soup

1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 cups chicken broth
    1/4 cup medium-dry Sherry, or to taste
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    White pepper to taste
    Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish

Cook carrots and onion in chicken broth over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Put that mixture and remaining ingredients, except parsley, into food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Chill and serve. Garnish with parsley.
    NOTE: FOR LOW FAT RECIPE USE FAT-FREE EVAPORATED MILK INSTEAD OF HEAVY CREAM, ELIMINATE THE BUTTER, USE DEFATTED CHICKEN BROTH.

And one more...in a strange format.
    Ingredients:
    1tablespoonbutter
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    3 sweet red bell peppers, roasted or grilled, peeled and seeded
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
    1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
    1/2 cup sour cream
    Finely chopped fresh sage or basil (optional garnish)

Directions:
    In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook just until softened, about 3 minutes. Add peppers and broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer briefly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Process soup in a food mill, blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper; stir in vinegar and sour cream, blending with a whisk until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly.

To serve, ladle into individual dishes and garnish, if desired, with sage or basil.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

I love a good gazpacho, but don't use a recipe. When this year's tomatoes in I'll make some and write one up while I do it.

I like to use V8 juice rather than tomato juice if I feel the need to add any liquid. If I've enough garden tomatoes of course, I simply cook some down to sauce to add to all the chopped/pureed veggies.

I make my gazpacho in 3 "layers." One third of the vegetables get pureed. One third gets very finely minced. The last third is a fine dice.

This adds complexity and depth to the flavors as well as making for interesting texture.

I like to play with my garnishes a bit as well. Julienne tortilla chips are a favorite. Chopped balsamic-roasted onions work well if I've any leftover from the previous night's dinner. Very finely sliced (paper thin), de-seeded jalapenos or serrano peppers. Thinly sliced scallions or radishes. A drizzle of pesto or yogurt. Minced, Moroccan style preserved lemons. Very finely chopped mint or cilantro. A few nasturtium petals, allysum or chive blossoms.

Oh boy, now I'm absolutely craving gazpacho and my tomatoes are yet small green globes...mere promises of glory to come. :(

• jimster
    13 years ago

Two big favorites of mine are vichyssoise and cucumber-yoghurt soup. I don't have recipes at hand but there are many available on the Internet.

Just a couple of hints:

Vichyssoise must be very smooth for best enjoyment. Don't rely on a blender or food processor only. Put it through a sieve to eliminate any small lumps or granules.

Cucumber-yoghurt soup, on the other hand, needs texture. Don't process it to a pulp. I chop the cucumber finely with a knife. It's not much work.

Jim

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Here is one with watermelon rind and barley:

dcarch

• rule34
    13 years ago

I don't think anything can beat the chilled cucumber soup in Julia's Mastering the Art book 2. It's perfect just as it is. Better make a double batch, it goes fast!

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks so much folks! Now the question is, where do I start! Doucanoe, that Summer soup looks so good, I will report back when I've made it. LindaC, that cucumber soup with Avocado cream is right up our alley,around here. Dcarch, the presentation on your soup is so lovely! Thanks again everyone.