SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

Venting an electric dryer through PVC pipe

richard904
16 years ago

Our laundry room is in an interior space at the lower level of our home and the only venting for the electric dryer is through a 3 inch PVC pipe running 40 feet to the outside. It would be a major project replacing the 3 inch PVC pipe with 4 inch rigid metal ducting. What we do now is vent into the PVC pipe using a 4 inch to 3 inch transition metal duct, but we allow some air flow also into the room. A 3 inch pipe has half the flow capacity of a 4 inch pipe.

To continue to use the PVC pipe for awhile, I need some means to double the flow through the pipe. There are dryer booster fans all made for 4 inch metal ducts, but there are fans that fit 3 inch PVC used by the radon mitigation people. If I filter the lint, can that work? I am not sure the fans are really powerful enough to effectively double the flow through the PVC pipe. Any ideas?

I am even looking at using one of these water bath lint filters, but that puts a lot of humid air into the room. Parenthetically, I am sure users of this forum know PVC is not recommended in the laundry room due to the static charge that builds up on its surface that then traps lint.

Comment (1)