SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margib124

Cottage Cooking for 10 days

margib124
15 years ago

Hi-

I have been a long time lurker and need some inspiration. My DH and I rent a fairly remote cottage every summer. The nearest well stocked grocery is about a 40 minute drive and we try to bring everything we need for our meals. The kitchen is reasonably well equipped and we do eat out a couple times over the 10 days. We usually bring lamb chops, ingredients for a pasta dish/salad or two, frozen shrimp, etc. We try to limit red meat to two evenings and we do try to make our meals a highlight of the trip

So here is the challenge-what can we bring that is not especially complicated, elegant, summery and yummy. Obviously as the days goes on, we have less fresh food and turn to our limited pantry and freezer for dinner. After several years, we are sort of in a cottage cooking rut. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• jimster
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When you say you try to make your meals a highlight of the trip, does that mean meal preparation is one of your important vacation activities? In other words, would you enjoy spending a significant amount of your vacation time in making more elaborate dishes than you ordinarily have time for at home? Many people like to have special meals on vacation but don't want preparation to cut into time alloted to other activities.

Jim

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

Here's an easy dish I only make in summer when good tomatoes are available. I usually serve it with yellow rice.

SUMMER SKILLET SUPPER

1 (1 lb.) fully-cooked ham slice
    2 large tomatoes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 medium size green pepper
    1 medium size onion
    1 medium size yellow squash (about 1/2 lb.)
    2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb. total)
    3 Tbs. olive oil
    1/2 cup chicken broth or 1 envelope instant chicken broth mixed with 1/2 cup water
    2 tsp.fresh chopped basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp. pepper

Cut ham into 1/4 inch strips, about 1-1/2 inches long. Cut each tomato into 8 wedges; cut pepper into 1/2 inch wide strips and onion into thin lengthwise slivers. Cut squashes into 1/4 inch wide slices, halving lengthwise if larger than 1 inch in diameter.

In wok or large skillet over medium high heat, cook ham and all vegetables, except tomatoes, in hot oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes; stir and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato wedges and continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through.

• Related Discussions

Your favorite cottage garden perennials - top 10

Q

Comments (14)
    Great question! Delphinium grandiflorum - this is the low growing delph. Much easier to grow, same fantastic blue color. Salvia - I grow lots of different sages, both hardy and tender in this zone. Fantastic, easy care, every color of the rainbow. Alcea Rosea (Hollyhock) - yes, they get rust, Japanese beetles love them and they seed, but nothing says cottage garden like a hollyhock. Columbine - a personal favorite for its grace. Nepeta (catmint) - so easy to grow. blooms almost all summer. Echinacea - I grow Magnus, the old standby. Start with one, in three years you'll have ten, in five years enough for all your friends. Siberian Iris - so unfussy. Beautiful plant with no disease or pest problems. Lychnis coronia (rose campion) - I love the silver foliage and the hot magenta flowers. Makes a bold statement in the garden. Achillea (yarrow) - Love the flower clusters combined with something spikey. Plumbago - not hardy in my zone but I love the sky blue flower clusters. Snapdragons - only the tall kind (rocket). Yes, it's an annual but no cottage garden should be without it.
    ...See More

new: newbie '52 pick-up' cottage exchange- 10 bodies needed

Q

Comments (22)
    Yeah, guess what I got today!! Thank you so much for all you did in organizing and pulling off this swap. You did a tremendous job!!! Hooray!!! The edible treats were greatly enjoyed...by my daughters. I'll enjoy my special treats come Spring! The stickers now adorn my gardening journal and I'm saving my tea for a day of Winter sowing! Thanks! Cherie
    ...See More

Rainy day baking and cooking... What are you cooking today?

Q

Comments (24)
    Although it seems like a forgiving dough - I can taste that I cheated on the overnight ferment. Sorry your casserole dishes aren't big enough. I bake in a toaster oven so when my bread rises it burns on top. Another reason P a L'A is good - it spreads out more than up. I brush the bread with some slightly salty water right before it goes in the oven. But I lose that lovely floury rustic surface. Do you have a pizza stone? That helped me get a better crust back when I last had an oven - now I use it in my grill to make pitas. Also I read somewhere or another about using a SS restaurant dish lid as a cloche though I've never seen one large enough. I am currently jealously watching a neighbor build a stone wood-fired bread oven by his pond - the ultimate bread oven. He says he will advise me when I am ready to build one - and I definitely do not lack for rocks. However right now my 'yard' is festooned with logs, brush and firewood piles. Hopefully in the near future the logs will become a woodshed and I can move the firewood inside. Then maybe a bread oven - which will entail moving rocks. I'm tired just thinking about it all. Making some tea and toast and taking a nap.
    ...See More

Recipe of the Day November 10 -Here chick, chick, chick!

Q

Comments (3)
    This is from the California Heritage Cookbook, 1976. I bought this book when it was published & have used it so much the spine cover is falling off. CHICKEN IMPERIAL Serves 8 2 c. dry bread crumbs 1/4 c. minced fresh parsley 1 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp. pepper 1 c. butter, melted 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce 8 chicken breasts, boned Combine the bread crumbs, minced parsley, garlic, salt & pepper in a pie plate or other dish that will hold a piece of chicken to roll. Mix together the melted butter, mustard & Worcestershire, also in a pie plate. Dip the chicken pieces first into the butter mixture, then roll in the crumb mixture, coating all sides. Place the pieces in a foil-lined shallow baking pan, just large enough to hold the pieces comfortably. Drizzle the remaining butter mixture over the chicken. Bake uncovered in a 350 degreee oven about 1 hour or until the juices run clear when pierced by a fork.
    ...See More
  • margib124
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No-we want easy but really yummy. Something we can make in an hour or so and enjoy with a bottle of wine and an awesome sunset.

• jimster
    15 years ago

For starters, I would suggest stocking up on cheeses, sausages, smoked meat or seafood, good crackers, flat bread and the like which, with a bottle of wine, can make a nice informal meal or picnic with no preparation at all.

Next, I would plan for a few egg-based meals, omelets, frittatas, etc.

Jim

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

This might be just the time to think about jarred gourmet sauces. There are many out there that are wonderful. Saves on needing many individual ingredients. So a few of those and a few good, easy recipes you'll have a great vacation.

Nancy

• jojoco
    15 years ago

I have a cottage in Ct and I try to keep cooking light and easy. That means lots of grilling. Get a basket and grill veggies coated in olive oil. Eat on ciabatta with goat cheese (or mozzarella...) Keep tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar on hand for impromptu sandwiches or salad. I love NearEast taboule mix to which I add diced chicken (from the grill). Easy and so delicious. I also make an orzo salad which incorporates whatever is on hand.

Most importantly, keep some good whites in the fridge and some Coronas with limes as well.
    Enjoy!
    Jo

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

The idea of Jo's orzo salad above or tabbouleh salad with fresh tomatoes, hummous and pita bread, olives, cured sausage, etc. as Jim mentioned would be my idea of a casual dinner at a summer cottage. If you like fresh fish and can get it on your way in sounds good too. A rotisserie chicken bought on the way to the cottage would make a couple of meals or more.

My plan if I had a remote summer cottage for ten days would be to stock up on the fruits and veggies that were in season and lots of other goodies that I wouldn't normally splurge on at home - crab, shrimp, smoked fish, new-to-me cheeses, bottled tapenade and bruschetta spreads, deli meats I would not usually buy, brioche and new jams for breakfast, and those jarred (pasta) sauces Nancy mentioned.

Your saving money by eating some meals at in....and besides....you're on vacation.

• margib124
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all-off to revise the grocery list!!

• spacific
    15 years ago

I used to go on chartered sailboat trips and had the same objectives. We'd get pretty creative toward the end when fresh produce was running out. Then we'd come up with dishes like dessert crepes with a fruit sauce made from the now overripe fruit; frittatas using whatever leftovers; stratas with the many-day-old bread, goat cheese and maybe jarred artichoke hearts and olives; risotto; perhaps linguine and clams.

Definitely grilled meals like lamb chops are great, maybe with Jojoco's orzo salad. I make mine with fresh lemon, olive oil, feta and whatever fresh vegetables are around.

Also for lunches I'd rather have meals like that orzo salad, or marinated bean salad, or the all-purpose corn & black bean salad, etc. (which you can bring canned beans/frozen corn, and use chiles and onions that will last through the 10 days).

How about homemade biscuits or scones for breakfast? You can mix up the dry ingredients and pack in baggies already portioned.

Are there any produce stands, fish mongers, etc. in the remote area? What's fresh in the area while you're there? That may give us inspiration to come up with more ideas.

• margib124
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are up in northern Michigan-north of Cross Village. Once in a while, there is a roadside stand with cherries and we have picked up some white fish-although the fish monger is quite a drive. We also can get some great locally made pies. We tend to veg at the cottage, walk the beach, ride bikes and stay local. While we can get to the store, we like to stock up before we leave. It is always a creative challenge-we want to eat yummy, avoid the stores and come home with an empty cooler and great memories.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Sounds like a heavenly vacation to me! ~ Teresa

• spacific
    15 years ago

Ok, I know EXACTLY where you'll be. My in-laws have rented a cottage in Harbor Springs for a few summers. And a couple of times, we've driven up to Cross Village to go to Legs Inn. Whenever we drive up that way, I always think how I'd rather be in a quiet cabin on the lake tucked away from the road than in the albeit really beautiful town of Harbor Springs.

On your way to the cottage, you can stop by Pond Hill Farm to pick whatever's growing there. Last time we were there in July and raspberries were in season.

But back to menu ideas... the "Drowning in Plums" thread reminded me to again make Clafoutis. If you have cherries (or plums) available, this is great for dessert or brunch.

Cherry Clafoutis (from Saveur magazine)
    SERVES 8

1 tbsp. butter
    1 tbsp. vanilla extract
    6 eggs
    6 tbsp. sugar
    1 1⁄4 cups milk
    2 tbsp. kirsch (or I've also used almond extract or omitted)
    Pinch salt
    3⁄4 cup flour
    3 cups black cherries, pitted or unpitted
    Confectioners' sugar (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425. Generously butter a 9" cast-iron skillet or baking dish. Combine vanilla extract, eggs, sugar, milk, kirsch, and salt in a blender. Blend for a few seconds to mix ingredients, then add flour and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.

2. Pour batter into buttered skillet, then distribute cherries evenly over top. Bake until a skewer inserted into batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top and bottom of clafoutis, about 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar if you like.

And of course, any kind of fruit cobblers, or crisps. Especially if there's any berry picking going on at Pond Hill Farm.

• User
    15 years ago

Here are a few of my favourite cottage meals, all from this forum gathered over the years. I'll probably think of a million more , we love to eat well at the cottage! LOL I always pick my menu, then make a grocery list from that...no way I'm leaving the dock for the grocery store! LOL

For sides we love grilled veggies, bell peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, cherry tomatoes ...whatever you like. We also love new potatoes, cut in halves or quarters, splash of olive oil , salt pepper and some fresh rosemary placed in tin foil pouches (sealed well) and done on the grill.

Pizza on the grill is also a huge favourite of ours. Just make a standard pizza dough. Form into discs, brush with olive oil and grill for a few minutes, oil side down. Just grill until the crust is golden. Brush top side with oil and flip. Have toppings all prepared and ready to go. Veggies should lightly sauted first as they have no time to cook on the pizza. Toppings we love, mush rooms, peppers, olives, fresh moz, goat cheese, prosciutto, ham, salami, pepperoni, tomatoes, tomato sauce...whatever you like.

Oh and don't forget the salads...I have a zillion recipes for salads and salad dressings, again most from the here! if you are interested in some let me know.....and of course then there is breakfast! LOL

Cherry Tomato, Onion, Basil Sauce (Mine)

2 Tbl olive oil
    ½ sweet vidalia onion sliced tin
    few drops best balsamic vinegar
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1 Lb cherry tomatoes halved
    several Basil leaves chopped
    salt and pepper

Place oil in saute pan, add sliced onions and saute on medium eat until limp. Do not let brown or crisp. Add a few drops balsamic. Cook a few more minutes.Add garlic and continue to coo until onions are caramelized. Add cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium low eat until the tomatoes loose their shape and give up
    their juices. Add basil and simmer until basil is limp and sauce is fragrant.

Chicken Piccata - Woodie

4 Chicken breast halves boned and skinned
    Salt and Pepper
    Flour (enough for coating)
    3 Tbl butter
    juice of 1 lemon
    1-1/2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 Cup white wine

Put a piece of waxed paper on the counter and place chicken on top. Use a meat pounder, the side of a saucer, the unsharpened side of a heavy knife or other object to pound the breast into a tin piece thats uniformly thick (about an inch). Salt and pepper the chicken generously,
    then coat with flour. Melt butter in a large skillet and brown chicken on both sides.

Remove chicken from skillet. Add lemon juice, chicken broth and wine.

Boil down until its about one-half cup. Place chicken back in skillet, cover and cool 3 minutes. Remove cover and serve.

Chicken Tika Kabobs

2 Lb chicken breast cut in 1 " cubes
    1 small onion diced
    3/4 Cup
    Plain non fat yogurt
    2 clove garlic minced
    1 Tbsp ginger root grated
    2 Tsp chili powder
    2 Tsp coriander Ground
    1 Tsp cumin Ground
    1/2 Tsp salt
    2 lemons quartered

In food processor, process all ingredients except chicken and lemon to a chinky puree. Pour marinade over chicken and let sit , covered, for 8 hours. Thread chicken on skewers with a small pearl onion in between each slice. End with lemons. BBQ on well greased grill for 7 minutes
    turning often.

Chicken- Beer Can Recipe ( Steve Raichlen's From is "How To Grill"

1 12 ounce can of beer
    3 to 4 pound chicken
    2 Tbl BBQ rub (recipe follows)

BBQ Rub (Make this at home so you dont have to have all the ingredients with you at the cottage. Its great for lots of things on the grill)

1/4 Cup firmly paced brown sugar
    1/4 Cup sweet paprika
    3 Tbl black pepper
    3 Tbl coarse salt
    1 Tbl hickory smoked salt
    2 Tsp garlic powder
    2 Tsp onion powder
    2 Tsp celery seed
    1 Tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix using your ands. Store in an airtight container away from heat and light for up to 6 months

For the Chicken

Rinse the bird inside and out and pat dry.

Sprinkle the chicken inside and out wit the rub making sure to rub it in. Use about 2 tsps of the rub for inside and another 2 for outside.

Open the can of beer and poke a few extra holes in the top.
    Pour off half the beer (drink it!) place the remaining rub in the can with the remaining beer.

Holding the chicken with the opening of the cavity at the bottom, lower it onto to the beer can so tat the beer can fits into the cavity.

Pull the legs forward to form a sort of tripod so the bird can stand upright on the grill. The third leg of the tripod is the can. It will look like a little headless person perched on the can.......quite a
    sight! LOL

Tuck the chickens wing tips behind is back.

Cook the chicken using an indirect eat method. To do this get your BBQ good and hot and then turn off one burner, placing the bird on the unlit side. If using charcoal move the hot coals to one side.

Cook for about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 hours or until internal temp reaches 180. Turn the bird a quarter turn every so often to ensure even browning.

When done remove from the eat using tongs. Let rest 15 minutes and then carefully remove the beer can. Be careful not to spill the hot beer. The beer can be used as a base for a sauce...don't discard it.

This chicken tastes really, really good and is very moist. It's also a fun ting for a casual BBQ.

Crab Cakes- Maryland - serve with a remoulade or tartar sauce. Makes a great appetizer if made small.

2 eggs
    3/4 Cup mayonnaise
    ½ lemon juiced
    1 Tsp Worcestershire
    1 Tbl Dijon mustard
    2 Tsp baking powder
    1/2 Cup Japanese bread crumbs (can use regular)
    1 Tsp Old Bay seasoning
    1 Tbl Italian Parsley Chopped
    2 Lb Jumbo lump crab meat

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients excluding crab meat and mix thoroughly. Add crab meat and toss gently to prevent the lumps from breaking up. Portion to 4-ounce servings . Refrigerate for 1 hour.. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Note : I recoat in panko or breadcrumbs and then fry not bake.

Lemon Linguine With Scamp (Gina) One of my all time favourite fast yet WOW meals.

Vegetable oil
    1 Tbl Kosher salt plus 1/2 teaspoons
    3/4 Lb linguine (or spaghetti)
    3 Tbl unsalted butter ( I use salted)
    2 1/2 Tbl good olive oil
    1 1/2 Tbl minced garlic (4 cloves)
    1 Lb large shrimp (about 16 shrimp) peeled and deveined
    1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/3 Cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    ½ lemon zest grated
    1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    ¼ lemon
    thinly sliced in half-rounds
    1/8 Tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional for us)

Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.
    Meanwhile, in another large (12-inc), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low eat. Add the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and sauté until the shrimp have just turned pin, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the eat, add
    the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
    When the pasta is done, drain the cooed linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

Ribs - Roadhouse Grill (Sue) This is a longer cooking time than you mentioned but the ribs cook unattended in the oven so it really is a low effort recipe.

2 large racks pork baby back ribs
    Salt
    black pepper, coarse Ground

For the Sauce Make this sauce at home so you dont have to take all the ingredients. It is wonderful on all things grilled

2 Tbl vegetable oil
    1/4 Cup fresh onion minced
    1 1/2 Cup Water
    1/2 Cup Tomato paste
    1/2 Cup Brown sugar
    2 Tbl honey
    1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
    1 3/4 Tsp salt
    1 Tsp liquid smoke flavouring
    1 Tsp Jim Beam whiskey - optional
    1/4 Tsp black pepper, fresh Ground
    1/8 Tsp garlic powder
    1/8 Tsp paprika

To make the ribs, cut each large rack of ribs in half so that you have 4 half-racks. Sprinkle a light coating of salt and a more generous portion of coarse pepper over the top and bottom of each rack. Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
    As the ribs cook, make the sauce by eating the oil in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil then reduce eat and simmer for 1 1/4 ours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. R

Remove from eat and set aside until the ribs are ready.
    Preheat your barbecue grill. When ribs are finished in the oven, the meat should have pull back about 1/2-inch from the cut-ends of the bones.

Remove the ribs from the oven, let them sit for 10 minutes or so, then remove the racks from the foil and put them on the grill. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes per
    side. They should be slightly charred in a few spots when they're finished. Brush barbecue sauce on the ribs wile they're grilling, just before you serve them. Don't add the sauce too early or it will burn.

Shrimp Étouffée Cindy Mac

1/4 Cup butter
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 celery ribs chopped
    1 medium-size green bell pepper chopped
    4 garlic cloves minced
    1 large shallot chopped
    1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
    1 Tsp salt
    ½ to 1 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne)
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
    1/4 Cup fresh parsley Chopped
    1/4 Cup fresh chives Chopped
    2 Lb Cooked Shrimp
    Hot rice, cooked

MELT butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add flour, salt, and red pepper; coo, stirring constantly, until caramel colored (about 10 minutes). Add next 3 ingredients; coo, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in shrimp coo just until
    thoroughly heated. Serve with rice.

Tomato Tart Sol

NOTE: I use a frozen store bought crust. Sol of course makes her own!! Delicious for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer.

12-15 plum tomatoes cored and cut into ¼"-tic rounds
    2 Tbl Dijon mustard *
    1 Cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
    1 Tsp Herbs de Provence (Ive used oregano)
    2 large eggs
    ¼ Cup light cream
    1 Tsp salt
    few turns of freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375F. Put the tomato slices in a colander and place in the sink. Let them sit for 15 minutes to drain off any excess liquid.
    Spread the mustard evenly over the tart sell. Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard and sprinkle the herbs de Provence over the gruyere cheese.

Working from the outside in, lay the drained tomato slices in overlapping, concentric circles, covering the crust completely.

Whisk the eggs in a bowl, whisk in the cream, salt and pepper. Pour this custard evenly over the tomatoes until it comes to about ¼ inc from the top edge of the crust. Bake for 1 our, to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the custard is set.

Once Upon a Tart

Chicken Souvlaki - Ann T

Chicken breasts
    Fresh minced garlic
    dried oregano
    lemons
    olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper

Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes

Place on wooden Skewers that have been soaked in water (prevents~sticks from burning.. or on metal skewers.~
    Rub with fresh minced garlic and dried oregano~
    Squeeze fresh lemons over chicken and some olive oil~
    Salt and pepper

Marinate for up to 1 hour. If marinating longer do not add lemon juice until the last hour. Lemon juice "cooks" the flesh and changes the texture.
    Place on hot grill and turn often until done. Serve with Greek salad and rice.

NOTE: This recipe works well with Pork (I use Pork Tenderloin) and with Lamb

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh I love this thread!

I think I will pretend my house is a cottage for the summer and take my inspiration from these wonderful recipes...:-)

Our week long "cottage" getaway is a one room cabin at the State Park. We are trying a new trail this year and I'm not sure how long the walk is to the "potty"...so we bought a little portable for night time - lol. Allegany State Park is known for its bears and I'm not going outside by myself at night!

I think our vacation meals will be quite different - but also inspired by this forum...Sharon and so many others have supplied me with lots of campfire meals.

Have a wonderful time margib - I will look through my recipes - too to see if I have anything to offer!

Stacy

• margib124
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the inspirations..I am sitting here at work trying to figure out how to extend our trip. Looks like I will have to get in lots of walks or I will be extending my waist line as well!

Spacific, we have stopped by the Pond Hill Farm on our bikes a few years back but they didn't have U Pick then-we will have to head back there this summer when we get cabin fever. If you make the drive up M-119 to Legs Inn, stop at the Goodhart General Store for pie-it is a great way to end a good meal.

Thanks again for all the ideas-now do any of you know how to insure perfect weather for a week or so?

• spacific
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip! We'll probably go up there next summer again. I hope...

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!