SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

GE Harmony TL HE washer: too little water, too much suds

flseadog
14 years ago

So far I've washed 3 loads of sheets, two loads of towels, one load of delicates, and one mixed load of normal clothes in my new GE top loader. I'm using Tide HE liquid and our water is very soft (about a 2). I've been watching each load wash and rinse since this machine has a glass lid and for me this is the best way to try to understand the capabilities of this washer. I've been using half or less or the recommended detergent amount because of our soft water but very load I've done except the load of delicates has had at least a bit of suds residue in the water at the end of the rinse cycle so I've run each load through another rinse and spin cycle to get the suds out.

The delicates cycle seemed to have a bit more water in the machine in proportion to the amount of clothes so I guess this is why that load had no residual suds. I could keep reducting the amount of detergent but I'm using so little now that I don't know if that will really get the clothes clean. So that is the first question: should I drastically reduce the amount of detergent. Another side point, I use liquid detergent even though I have heard powder works better with soft water because with the high humidity in Florida powders tend to clump up very quickly.

One of the loads of sheets was two sets of twin bed sheets washed together and in that load there was so little water in the machine that the very top of the load was still dry until the rinse cycle started. Then I had a lot of suds at the end of the rinse still floating in the water. Although maybe "a lot" is a relative term since it was a swirl of suds about 1/4" high and 8" wide in the center of the drum. But still, I expect rinse water to run clear at the end of rinsing or I always rinse again.

I was telling my tale of woe to DD about how I could adjust the water level in this machine but had to resort to an extra rinse and she said, "why don't you just add a bucket of water manually to what the machine allows you to have?" This does sound like an easy way around the problem of too little water but will it mess up whatever sensing mechanism this washer has? In principle I dislike having a machine bossing me around and I like the idea of working around the low water level but will I cause myself more trouble in the long run?

This is only day 2 of the new washer so maybe I just have to learn to adjust but I would appreciate any insight you have. TIA.

Comments (19)