SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tsherman_gw

Pls help with backsplash for dark cabs & bianco romano counter

tsherman
14 years ago

We have shaker style cabinets in espresso and bianco romano countertops - and very little natural light. The range is small (there will be a SS chimney hood) and there will be 3 mini pendants over the island that are a white glass cylinder with a clear glass cylinder over it. It's evolved into a transitional style that I love, but I'm really stuck on the backsplash. I thought I needed light to keep the space open, but I'm struggling with how it pulls everything together. Here are some in progress-pics (the adjacent rooms will be repainted):

View from the DR-

View from the FR-

We planned a tumbled travertine with crackled glass 2x2s, but I don't like the whole backsplash in 2x2s (it seemed chunky) and I can't see how to shift from a subway to the 2x2s without a pencil for transition. The outlets are smack in the middle of the space so any pencil liner/detail would have to be below them which seems so low I don't think I like it. All tumbled travertine subways seems too rustic/traditional for the kitchen.

I've seen several kitchens I liked that were all subway tiles so I was considering marble subways (clean, simple, classic) but most have shown the marble with a white cabinet. I'm worried it won't tie in the floor and will look blah against the countertop. My contractor just "strongly advised against it" saying it will look washed out next to the granite. He suggested a tanner, grayer color. I am really worried it will look dirty or be too dark.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The stainless chimney hood is sitting in my living room and the lights are ordered (light rails and more crown are ordered too). The tile order is holding things up at this point...I'm just not sold on anything. I'm also TKO and struggling with the fear of ruining what is working for me so far. I really appreciate any suggestions!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus