SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

How would this look?: stainless counter, marble subway backsplash

theresse
14 years ago

I've seen a beautifully done period kitchen like this only her backsplash was marble slab - not subway tiles. How would the subway tiles look do you think? I know it looks gorgeous w/ a honed black type countertop, but what about stainless? I've used stainless for years on my island and I completely disagree that it's difficult. Couldn't be easier and the scratches are tiny and become one big nice patina unless gouged into deeply. It wouldn't be used for cutting anyway. Nice thick gauge doesn't dent without major abuse.

See link to pic of my ugly kitchen the way it is now! ;)

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/before_kitchen_countertopbacks.html?cat=kitchens

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/another_before_kitchen_counter.html?cat=kitchens

The general feel of our house:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/living_room_showing_some_of_th.html?cat=kitchens

As some of you know, I've been considering 3 options for my mostly-period 1913 kitchen. The kitchen has white painted old cupboards (could be painted another color though). My choices need to be narrowed down to one of the following, overall:

- stainless steel countertop w/ some sort of subway tile (preferably 2x6 since that's what it had in 1913), and farm style/apron sink w/ appropriate faucet. If stainless, the island top which isn't as large as many others would become either wood or soapstone. Possibly marble island top, but only if the backsplash subway tile isn't done in marble since I don't want to be too matchy.

- soapstone countertop, and Walker-Zanger's 2x6 "Hamptons Beige" colored subway tile which are beautiful, hand-made, lightly crackled and glazed tiles (same sink/faucet) in which case island top would become marble or wood - or I could even leave what's on it now which is stainless. Stole this idea from beautiful inspiration pic from a magazine.

- brazilian cherry counterop (certified - but still nervous about the environment) w/ either white, off-white or the Walker-Zanger beige subway tile. Concerned also the color of wood could be too reddish but it's the only very hard/durable wood that is darker than maple and which isn't as expensive as teak. I don't want a light colored countertop for this kitchen but it has too be extra hard/tight to prevent water damage. House originally had wooden countertop.

Any feedback - but especially w/ regard to whether marble tile w/ stainless would work okay - would be greatly appreciated! My contractor wants me to let him know tomorrow morning - ack! I apologize in advance if you find another similar thread by me soon about which choice to make (between the 3). I'll be wanting official votes, soon. Just trying to be as efficient as possible w/ threads in case I run out of time - e.g. may not have time to post again until late tonight!

MUCH LOVE TO YOU FABULOUS WONDERFUL AMAZINGLY HELPFUL GARDENWEB USERS! :) :) :)

Comments (16)