SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Questions about Bamboo / Woven Shades / Blinds

ladyamity
13 years ago

Hi again, It's me. :)

I have no experience at all with woven shades /woven bamboo blinds but I've gotten quite a bit of research under my belt over the last couple months while searching for the perfect and somewhat inexpensive window treatments for my kitchen.

I've narrowed the long list down to Woven Shades....the type that look like Bamboo.

I have some questions that I can't seem to find the answers for during my research.

The patterns/budget I like come from HomeDepot, Select Blinds and Blinds.com

Seems the blinds come free/standard with 6 inch valance of some sort.

If I am getting inside mount, doesn't that take away a lot of the window view and light coming in? My windows aren't all that large to start with so I'm thinking when I open the blinds, there will be 6 whole inches at the top hanging down into the window/light/view....am I correct?

Does the valance hang freely? If so, is there any way to turn (hem?) the valance up a couple inches so they don't hang down into the window as much?

Other than custom, is there a way to avoid that large of a valance?

Mr. Amity has a real aversion to these woven blinds but after all my research I explained to him that the blinds would fit our criteria perfectly and the prices fit into our budget.

He's agreed with one exception....

He doesn't want the bind trim at the sides of the blinds.

Whether the binding is contrasting or matches, he is standing firm.

He said it will bring back ick memories of all his Aunts' and Grandmas' homes (always closed, smokey dark rooms, nicotine walls, etc). Something as simple as binding on blinds to stir up memories? Who knew? *understanding smile*

Since we are meeting halfway, I'll go without the binding but I would like to know if the binding in any way helps the blinds retain their shape longer, helps them last longer, or is there any real reason it would be best for me to encourage Mr. Amity to embrace the bindings at the sides of the blinds?

Here is a link that might be useful: Type of blinds I would like

Comments (14)