SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

Went to the movies today; a question for parents of young ones

pammyfay
12 years ago

I saw "We Bought a Zoo," a cute picture, rated PG.

Of course, because it was a holiday, there were plenty of kids w/parents (a dad in front of me was with 3 girls).

The girls in front of me, and many around me, behaved well. But there were clearly children who were very, very young.

So there was quite a bit of a few children letting out a scream at times, some crying (maybe when mom or dad tried to keep them quiet), other noise. I know when kids are that young -- I'm thinking somewhere between 4 and 7, maybe -- they communicate in the only way they know how at that point.

I didn't have any trouble focusing on the movie, and I didn't have any issues at first that there'd be a lot of children here. But I have to wonder: Why do parents think that having very, very young children in the theater is not a concern? Maybe they couldn't find a babysitter, I dunno.

But at PG, this movie was certainly not "Beauty & the Beast" (which actually can be a bit scary, but it's rated G).

(This is an older multiplex; our theater had 2 sections of 5 seats across, and from about the 4th row from the "stage," it was crowded. I'm sure I wasn't the only one wondering when the parent[s] would take the noisy ones to the lobby, but I understand that's not possible if only one parent or guardian was with them and had an older kid who wanted to watch the movie.)

Maybe some parents here can tell me what their standard-operating procedure is when one of their children acts up during a movie? I recently read an anecdote about crying children in a nice restaurant, in which a diner asked why the restaurant owner didn't do anything to help the situation. So maybe there are just a lot of parents who just don't know calming techniques in these situations?

Just for the record, I am not anti-children-in-public.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville