SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

My trees finally went out today! + budwood

We have a beautiful, but windy day here today. It kills me that so many have tipped over. It seems to happen every year. I need to go out and water them again thoroughly and rinse them off. Most look good although a few had significant leaf loss. I will definitely be pruning some and will have budwood for ST and oroblanco at the very least. I have a couple of small, but graftable stems of sumo mandarin. I can update this thread as I chop ;)

Alexander fater better this winter than last :)

Comments (119)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    4 years ago

Laura, I have a peach tree that is more than 30 years old. We used to harvest a few (paper) shopping bags full every year but for the last few years we have gotten none because of the squirrels. They also take all of the apples and many of the strawberries. I hate them but my dear wife puts out bird feeders, i.e., squirrel feeders.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Vladimir, that may say that but I have not had a soaking rain of more than 4 iinches in years. The ground in my community is bone dry just a few inches deep causing many shrubs, rees and pennials to die off. I lost 4 shribs this past winter and a huge magnolia tree last year. It rains but not deep enough to saturate the earth inches deep. Then we had hardly any snow this winter again. I wish that eport was right. But being a landscaper for years, I can see what the lack of deep rains is causing over here in the 495 belt, where all the developement as occured and where deforestation only gets worse and worse(

Every summer the thrunderstorms stay west, north and south of me as if there is a force field up and it only gets worst every year. Thanks though.

Laura, they are still outside and growung gang busters. They have bene outside even on nights when it hit the 30's but I am so glad they are. So much easier to take care of, right? I love my rooms back. I hope yours are holding up to the winds well. Boy have the winds been insane. Can't believe your son is 18 now..

• Related Discussions

Went citrus pricing today....

Q

Comments (88)
    Mike, I know what you mean. Just, was it yesterday,?, a little girl of nine, 60-70lbs?? with long, medium brown hair, big, brown eyes was jumping rope, Hop-Scotch, and Hide-and-go-Seek. Today that girl still has long, brown, 'from a bottle,' hair, big brown/green eyes, 5'5, 115 lbs, sits before a computer, 'What's that, mom?,' watching big people tv shows, in a home filled with greens. That 9-yr-old wasn't allowed to keep plants in the 'spotless' house, so instead she went to the store, bought veggie seeds, dug and planted these seeds in the ground. The tomatoes were big, two watermelons, her doggie decided tasted yummy, grew, but she didnt know onions and carrots grew underground, or the corn seeds would grow into tall blades of Horse Corn. :) Mike, I HATE winter, too. SADS. Don't want to step out the door. I'm really trying to be optimistic. It could be worse. We could live in International Falls, MN..their temp was -45..that isn't counting wind-chill. The high here was 4F, tonight -2F. Wonder what the temp will be counting wind-chill. No snow, but it's on its way. One thing about snow..it reflects and brightens the ground, air and our plants. Mike, do you have outdoor perrenials? If so, cut off a branch, and place in water..it'll flower! I had a Pussy Willow..'it grew like a weed, so out it went.' Late Jan, early Feb, I'd remove a few branches, place in water and it'd flower. Magnolias do, too. I'm sure there are other plants, but those are the two I've forced. Flowers might perk you up. Do you grow Snow Crocus? They flower, outdoors, when snow is on the ground..It's not much, but that's all I have to offer. :) Feel better, it could be worse..Toni
    ...See More

My mom's house went on the market today and we got an offer

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. I sure don't want to turn it down and then have it sit forever! My friend is doing this for me because my husband and I have down a lot for her over the years. She doesn't work for a real estate company, she is independent. It has a lock box and sign, it isn't FSBO. My friend told me these people have been looking for six months and really love the house. I asked her if it would be okay to wait through the weekend and see what else is offered, we have another showing today and one tomorrow. She thought that would be okay. The average days on the market for a one story is about 30 days. Another house with the same floor plan sold for full asking price, $208,000 last month in 21 days. That house had pets, though, and the carpet was bad and it needed painting. It also didn't have the front porch and bricked floored covered patio. My friend isn't surprised that we got an offer so fast. She says there aren't many one story homes on the market in Flower Mound and mine has a three car garage which is hard to find. With no basements in this area, a large garage is a big selling point.
    ...See More

Went Out Detergent Hunting Today...Questions...

Q

Comments (4)
    It's a good chance that the Tide powders are the Original, good scents. Tide Original Scent powder made the awful change in Jan. 2014, to the now, current disgusting scent. Pre 2014, the scent was IMO the best detergent scent ever! Silk Touch Downy, while still not the classic, Original Scent, is leaps and bounds better than what is offered today. Good find! The Ajax ProPax work very well and are insanely low sudsing and easy rinsing!
    ...See More

Went out to my balcony & took an inventory of who has pipped so far...

Q

Comments (9)
    Zuzu is very cute! Zizu was mad with loneliness when I got back from the Patuxent Nursery in Bowie, MD with my friend yesterday. She solicited love from both of us. I totally forgot to get a new bleeding heart while at that FABULOUS nursery. They had varieties of annuals, perennials, groundcovers, shrubs, trees---anything---that I had only perhaps read about. And there they had it in the flesh. My friend found a dwarf fig she'd been looking and looking for. I found a new variety of petunia that was so lovely, I had to have one (Blackberry Cheesecake). They had amazingly beautiful Japanese maples with gold leaves and red twigs, red ones, plain green ones, species of shrubs I'd never heard of, varieties of veggies I'd never seen before (my friend found the chocolate cherry tomatoes she'd been seeking), every sort of paver, river stone, boulder, soil, sand, houseplants I'd never seen in the flesh (particularly good sansieviera variety), etc. A botanical wonderland, and the prices were good, too. They actually had rather few hostas, but they had a lot of different heucheras. There must have been 20 or more varieties of succulent groundcovers of every shape and color. I highly recommend going there.
    ...See More
  • blue bayou
    4 years ago

I really am liking this Spring so far. It hasn't been too hot or too chilly, and we have avoided late Spring frosts. Some years, it turns prematurely warm/hot in April only to be followed by frost! How cruel! This year Spring has been very moderate, highs in the 60's and 70's, lows in the low 50's. I have all my tropicals outside now (Citrus, palms, bananas, papaya, avocado, etc.). I could get used to this year round! Local soil moisture is running above normal and reservoirs are FULL. I was going to plant grass but was concerned the seed would wash away from incoming rains. Last three days have been stellar. There was drought here but that ended definitely with the last three seasons (Summer, Autumn and Winter, and Spring so have has brought regular, and moderate rainfall..., curiously, always on Friday into Saturday!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Mikey. Spring is sort of here Yippee although there might be snow here on Saturday . Mikey you can take some of our liquid it has been raining buckets and unfortunately with thunder, you can have it my friend please take it . It's incredible that your in a drought while we're swimming up here and we are not that far from one another. Mikey it's so bad up here every lake and river in this area are in flood stage with 2 inches of rain heading this way tomorrow. Not funny poor Bo, the cat we used to have used to sit in front of the window during storms he loved them . Poor Sugar if he sees a dark cloud in the sky he starts to shake he is becoming quit the meteorologist seriously. Mike sounds like your tree's are loving it outside, aren't they so much easier to take care of ? I've been doing lots of grass seeding lately the weather has been fantastic for that . Really hope that your grass and tree's get a good soak in the next few days with a big Texas low headed our way . Wouldn't that be great a retractable roof sign me up but could you imagine the cost lol. My trees are actually growing like crazy right now so there not to bothered by still be in there . Mike your right I have to stop buying trees lol the flowers do smell much a like for the most part but the fruit is so different. I have a Pixie coming and it might be the last has to be the last lol . Hugs my friend , happy gardening.

Laura it's incredible how the trees react to a good soak almost instant green and growth as long as its only rain. I always get very nervous when I hear thunder so terrified there will be hail and high winds why can't it just rain lol . Laura at least twice a year my trees get knocked over from big storms and each one is tied to something, we get wild storms . Nice to hear Laura how well your trees are doing you will have to update us with pics in a few weeks!!!!

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Hey Brian! I’ll be back to read more. Just wanted to post you a pic of my weather to see if your getting the same darn cold we are. I’m so tired of it. It’s depressing to see ten days out of no 70. About ready to rip my hair out. Still borderline 30's at night! What ever happened to the warmer springs? (((((( That's the next ten days out right into May!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Lol Mikey looks identical except for the night time lows it's going to be 28 F here Saturday night and Sunday night . Hang in there my friend I'm sure we will have start the air conditioning very soon .

Brian

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Mike just wanted to show you the growth going on right now . This is my Sugar Belle from the top looking down. Never seen so much growth from any of my trees coming from the top tips of the branches ever.

I tried to get the whole tree but too many plants in the way .
    This tree is supposed to be a dwarf hmmmm . It's just a year and a few months old .
    Love geraniums.
    Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian and Mike, I’m sorry it’s still so cold up there - yuck! Brian, yes, they sure do enjoy the rain. We’re getting more tonight and tomorrow so I fertilized with a dusting of Peters so the rain will wash it in. I learned that from you :). I spent all afternoon making a big batch of 5-1-1 and potting up trees. It’s amazing how much they grow in a year. Many are already at the “terminal “ pot size, so after that I’ll have to remove decaying mix, root prune, and repot in the same pot. I just can’t get huge pots for all of them. I’ll post photos soon -maybe tomorrow if I can get some when they’re wet and happy.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian we must have been posting at the same time lol

wow!!! That growth is incredible! You really do have the magic touch. I don’t have a sugar belle, you’ll have to give us a taste test description when you have some. If I had that greenhouse, I’d live in there!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Lol Laura I'm not sure if a mouse could live in the GH now , it's becoming very tight in there. I'm running out of room and they are all growing what to do lol. I read that you might have to say goodbye to some of your tree's :-( I think I might be doing the same this fall unless I can cut them down to half the size . Laura root pruning is easy I wish I had done that years ago it really rejuvenate's them and the money you will save on new pots , the pots are more expensive than the trees lol. The only hard part is getting them out of their pot to prune. Laura the rain is so good for the trees and glad to hear you find fertilizing easier now . Laura it's raining here also and the city of Ottawa is flooding badly were fine but the poor people that live along the Ottawa River. I might be able to let you know how a Sugar Belle taste there are a few flowers on it fingers crossed. Looking forward to see your pics.

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

bigger pots

• Jan
    4 years ago

Oh my it seems I missed quite the conversation! Mike and Brian I hope things have warmed up for you guys by now! It’s now sunny here and warm however we are getting very strong winds that are blowing all my outdoor trees out of their pots!!!! My meiwa kumquat suffered the most it seems it was completely uprooted from its clay pot and taken 3 feet across who knows for how long but it doesn’t look good as the soil mass looked dried by the time I got to it :(

brian I cant stop looking at your dekopon tree it is amazing how many fruit it’s holding I’ve saved the picture onto my phone and am showing it to all my family members and friends and they just can’t believe you’re up in the North! Even my best friends nephew who was only five years old said “oh wow hashtag life goals” lol kids these days :) brian i wanted to tell you that my sugarbelle also has that growth pattern not as much growth as yours of course but yes all upright growth funny isn’t it I do love that tree! Brian I ordered more trees from dany I just couldn’t help myself lol and the tango that was in my cart was your doing brian from all your tempting pictures and descriptions lol! I heard you toot trimmed some of large trees Brian that’s so brave I dread the day I’ll have to do it.

Laura I hear you about the squirrels right now my neighbourhood has a worst problem from all the tearing down of old houses.... rats!!!! Yikes I’m mortified They’re going to eat all my apples and plums this year I’m sure :(

mike I hope you’ve gotten more rain since you last posted! I’d love give you some of ours lol it seems in Vancouver there’s all there is is rain :)

vlad I love peaches! where do you plant them where they get warm enough to fruit mine is in a pot on a south facing side of the house but somehow it never ripens any fruit perhaps it’s the type of peach tree :/

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    4 years ago

Jan, maybe its because my peach tree is in full sun most of the day.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Jan I'm tickled the pic of my Dekopon, Shiranui is on your phone your so kind . I'm also lol so glad I inspired your nephew maybe future citrus farmer ? Jan you inspired me tonight by your kind words to finally pic one of my Shiranui fruit and all I can say is delicious. !!!!!

I think we made a huge mistake we should have only grown this variety , without a doubt it tastes the best so sweet . My parrot which hates citrus grabbed a piece from my hand and ate the whole thing . Jan so looking forward to the day you can try a piece of fruit from your own tree I really want to know what you think . You will be very happy with Tango its a very heavy producer of sweet mandarins. Jan sorry to hear about your miewa fingers crossed for you , there's always Phoenix or Brugmansia Quebec . So your weather is about as good as ours lol spring is off to a very bad start. It could be worse Jan we could be living in Calgary a half foot of snow tonight. Counting down the days now to the Pixie arriving, out of curiosity what other varieties did you take to the checkout? :-)

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Brian ! Hey, what growth on your trees. What to do is right? lol Unless I cut back the tops and roots to mine I could never have so many. It's sort of depressing that I can't let them grow as large as they would like too or are capable of((. I have always wanted a 10 foot or higher orange tree enemy yard but I guess I shall have to wait until I move to Florida or some where else it does not gets so cold all the time. I can't believe that fruit. If it's as sweet as you say, then I look forward to mine growing some. No flowers yet but lots of growth!Talk about COLD!! I am tired of it. I keep hearing of all the folks experiencing temperatures at least into the 70's for weeks now, and us, still possible frost at night and cold winds. Here , if it's not sunny and cold, then it's wet and cold. Yesterday winds were blowing at 40 miles per hours and a whopping 48 degrees. Today cloudy later with a very cold rain for days and 30's tonight. It's just weird to see it this cold so long for this time of the year. I remember springs a hell of a lot warmer than this. Many 70 degree days before April. Every year our summer shrinks while everyone else is getting hotter. It's as if we will never escape this Arctic air mass ion our side of the world, this corner of the United States. Even my figs are slow to get going. My perennials use to be up by now, but yet they are not up until the end of May, if that. I should of left all my orchids in the greenhouse and all my succulents inside until the end of May. Hey buddy, at this rate, maybe you and I will get a snow storm in June. lol NO thunderstorms here, Just a few claps of thunder. It's too cold here for that, but 30 miles west of me a different story. NO sea breeze there, so much warmer and more thunder. Well, at least I live close enough to the beach to go there if it ever gets really hot.,lol Have you notice it's hard to catch a sunrise and sunset in the same day? It is either cloudy before I get up or clouds up for the day and is cloudy when at night.lol I am very proud of you being able to grow your trees as well as you do despite all odds buddy. Mine are still, being subjected to these cold harsh nights and will not see nice and warm temps for another month or so.So bravo amy friend and great job. By the way, not sure if you are a Game of Thrones fan, but don't forget tonight..Ha. Hugs my dear friend.Beautiful under stroy plants by the way. I love Geraniums myself. Have you ever tried the fragrant leaf ones? Awesome))

Laura, please, I would love to see recent pics of your trees. Are you still getting nights into the 40's ? Are you getting cold rains like us? I am sad to hear you have to get rid of some of your trees. We over estimate how much we can grow at times not realizing that now we can keep them growing big and healthy! You're trees are marvelous. I hope all is well with you. Been tired for a while but much better.

Jan, wow. You are too funny. By the way, I e-mailed you back about the Aloes...Thank you so so much. You are very kind. How are things? I can't wait to see pics of your stuff lately too. You must be excited that spring is here, well at least I hope warmer than us. It's been nasty this past couple of weeks. A nice warm day here and there, but that's it(( I hear you about the winds. Isn't it strange how strong they have been lately? It's not normal for my area. We have had down trees, lost power and turned over everything. I don't recall winds being as strong as often as they have been these past few weeks. Crazy. I'd hate to see what happens if the leaves are loaded with leaves too. Hugs

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hey Mikey sounds like your not enjoying are extended winter lol. The city of Ottawa is in flood crisis and it snowed yesterday on the poor people trying to sandbag. Mikey my friend we are getting those exact same winds horrible and the cold ridiculous. We are not the only ones suffering look at Chicago and Calgary looks like the whole continent is suffering with the wacky weather. Mike I'm in the same vote this year I would love to keep my tree's growing like weeds but I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut the large ones way back, I need a bigger GH lol. Florida you lucky devil how sweet that would be but you will have to live near the water for that full wow factor. Remember if you move to Florida you might have a tough time growing citrus . Mike I think I'm the only person on the planet that hasn't seen one episode of Game of Thrones one of these rainy days I will have to binge seasons. Mikey I've never tried the fragrant geraniums I will have to look for them but they have to have nice flowers. Going out for a bite to eat now have a fantastic day there and I hope it's sunny there like here right now . Mikey lol I noticed the same thing it's sun either up or down but we never have both lol. Hugs my friend

Jan just to get you excited about your new Tango coming.

Pic taken a couple of hours ago after a good wash actually everything had a good wash today .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Brian, MY GOD!!! There is no need to take them outside anymore. lol Why don't you just leave them inside. You don't need mother nature to take care of them, they have you! I never seen such nice indoor trees, not even at the local Orangry..Look at all that fruit!!.Not even at the local greenhouse. Not even in Florid in yards.lol I'm not kidding buddy!! Yup, this weather is all whcaked out and it really scares me. I wondwer if the galaciers all melted is playing a role in all of this? There has to be an issue. I have never seen such drastic changes as this growing up. Thank God we have greenhouses, whether humungus or small. Mines small. I could use a larger one too. Brian buddy, I think we are going to have ot encase our yards in all glass to keep ourselves warm and happy and grow all our trees now. Lol. I can forget about anything longer than three months here outside now. Have a wonderful time buddy. I can't wait to retire about 25 years from now. Let's see, that would put me at about 65..lol I still cna't believe you are even close to that. You seem so young and strong carrying all those trees and the way you carry yourself here. So young at heart and mind. Hey buddy. some day please send me a pic. I have yet to see how handsome you are lol. Hugs!

Mike.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mike and Brian...I hope things warm up for you guys. Brian, those trees really do like a Florida orchard! I can't believe how big they are! Mike, our lows are not like yours - 50s or low 60s, and highs in the 70s. They are growing well and enjoying the sun and rain for sure. I took some photos recently. Here are a few:

wekiwa tangelo with fruit that are almost ripe. They never turn orange, but these are still a bit too firm.

My ST which is wide and lanky, but loaded with fruit.

The photo does not show the fourth ST lemon hanging from that branch. That tree is impressive.

Pearl tangelo with lots of fruitlets. This was a small tree when I got it, but it has grown rapidly. I hope it does not turn into a monster like my minneola. lol

I'll take more photos soon Mike. I'm in the process of potting up the ones that need it so I've been going through lots of reptibark lately.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Thanks Mikey and Laura the trees sure do get lot's of TLC. The trees look better now better than they looked in late September which is a first. Mikey they have to get out I am still battling Aphids I need to get them out where the predictors are that will get at those little buggers. Mikey I have often thought about having a dome built right over the yard could you imagine? Not until I win the lottery lol. Mike it is 27F right now so cold maybe a little snow tonight and tomorrow the weather better get better because 3 weeks till the trees go out . Did you get frost last night ? Hope that you enjoyed Game of Thrones last night !!!! 25 years to retirement lol you poor guy hang in there . Mike it's not that bad moving the trees in and out I let them dry out before moving them there much lighter . Have an awesome day hugs

Laura beautiful I am always floored how nice your tree's look and your doing it without a greenhouse amazing. Your Wekiwa is coated in fruit, have you tried one yet? I've heard that they have a very nice different flavor. So impressed with your ST nice looking fruit . I bought one last year it grew the one time mid last summer and hadn't done anything till now . I was worried I got a dud but lots of new growth and flowers right now the panic is finished . Your Pearl Tangelo looks mighty nice too just wondering how close it tastes to Minneola. Lol I feel bad now that I enabled you to get the Minneola lol they sure do get big fast but the fruit are so good. Didn’t you always want one large tree :-) ?

Brian

• Jan
    4 years ago

Brian! My god everytime i think how incredible your trees are you go and post a picture like that and I’m shocked all over again lol Time to save that picture onto my phone too! Yes my friends Nephew loves All your pictures Lol I’m hoping he’ll pick up the hobby one day :) How do you move them out every summer and fall Brian? Lol that must be a 5 man job atleast! Oh Brian I have been very bad this spring lol my credit card took a major gouging this time lol i got the tango, another dekopon, the ponkan, the pixie and the red finger lime all aren’t available until either May at Phoenix or July from brugsmansia lol I told you I went crazy this year!! Oh and not to forget that I picked up a wekiwa tangelo last week from Phoenix lol!And now thanks to your shiranui fruit picture I’m thinking one can’t go wrong getting a third tree Lol was it as juicy as it looks Brian? I can’t wait to see the pixie in your hands it’ll be 10ft tall before we know it! If I get even a quarter of the amount of fruit as your tango I’ll be as happy as a squirrel with a pile of nuts! Brian is that your variegated minneola on the right Of your tango? It got huge! It’d be interesting to put a side by side comparison of your trees a couple years ago and now I’m sure people will be blown away at the growth you’re getting in just a few years in the freezing North too! I hope the thunderstorms are over now poor sugar!! Lol I saw the pictures of sugar in another post I believe cuter than ever!

mike!!! Hi!! I haven’t spoken to you for a while! Mike I never got your email! Oh no I’m so sorry here you must’ve thought I wasnt answering but I didn’t receive it which has been a problem lately with my email I also lost several important bank emails! lol my family just says I’m ghastly with the internet though and anything related to computers so it may be user error on my part lol! Things have been a little better on my end thanks for asking my mother has gotten a little bit better and going for some surgery this May 14th to remove multiple polyps which is supposed to be a simple procedure but still the worry is there with any surgery I suppos. How are you guys doing over there mike? Oh no you too?!? Yes its been crazy winds these last couple days everything’s blown over and my garden looks like a tornado blew through it lol. Mike I’d love to see some pictures of your trees it’s been a while! How are they doing? I’ve been a little neglectful of the citrus lately since it’s been so crazy with work and what not but I did take a greenhouse picture recently lol it’s funny how all my problems melt away when Im there! Hugs to you and your family mikey! Hope everyone’s doing well over there!

Laura I just picked up a wekiwa tangelo!! It’s loaded with flower buds have you had it before Laura the fruit I mean how has it been? I love the Santa Theresa beautiful trees Laura!! They’re so green!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan, congratulations on your addition! I liked it when I had them last year. They are kind of pinkish from what I remember. I think everyone here gave them a thumbs up. I hope you like them as well! I can't wait for mine to finish ripening. When they do, I'll post pics!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Jan lol. Yep sounds like your credit card took a huge hit wow . Very nice varieties and where did you find the red finger lime sounds very interesting. Jan I've told you in the past that your greenhouse should be on the cover of a gardening magazine it is so beautiful!!!! . Be warned lol you are going to loose all that beautiful space filled with trees lol. My greenhouse sort of looked like that years ago but definitely not as nice and look at it now very stuffed in a good way though . I bet with Phoenix right around the corner your Visa will be in for round two :-) . Imagine Jan the both of us waiting till June and July for our trees do you think we will make it lol . Jan I was thinking of getting the Wekiwa sounds like a really nice variety but I'm holding off to see what else Brugmansia Quebec brings in . Please let me know when your Wekiwa fruit's how they taste. I'm really hoping Brugmansia brings in some of Florida's new rising mandarin stars but I'm not sure if they have been released to the public yet . Jan gorgeous morning here just finished cleaning the front yard and now they are calling for a couple of inches of snow changing to freezing rain tomorrow LOVELY. Is spring ever going to get here? . Keep working on your Nephew maybe he will turn out to be a better gardener then us . The world can always use some nice gardens . Have a great day in the GH.

Brian

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Oh Jan I forgot the Shiranui fruit was so sweet and delicious. The sections were firm and the vesicles were packed with juice and no juice all over the clothes when peeled . My Variegated Minneola looks large because it is on a table lol but it is growing.

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Hi everyone! How have you been?

It’s still very cold here in Montreal. I put some of my mandarins trees outside last week but have to put them in my garden shed a few days ago because the nights went lower than 40F here. I am debating to put my lemon and lime trees out this week end too because they forecast temperature around 60F. Is it still too cold for them?

oh Jan! You bought another shiranui!! Lollll! What a coincidence because I was just thinking to get another one too! My local grocery carried different varieties of mandarins and I bought a couple of each to compare (they had gold nugget, suki, ortanique, orri and sumo). I usually am a big fan of gold nugget but the sumo beats them hands down this time! So delicious!

Brian! Oh my god! Your trees are beautiful as always!! Brian, I will ask Dany if he will get any new varieties anytime soon. I hope that there won’t be any new temptations because I can’t add anything. Ok, I must confess. I already preordered the following:

Tango: I couldn’t resist anymore. Your tree drive me crazy each time.

Yuzu, Buddha hand and Cocktail pummelo: replacements because mine died

Pixie: oh I look forward to add this new variety since I saw Cf03 last summer

Calamondin: between the pictures of your variegated one and Laura’s cake I don’t standard chance!

Guava tree: they are so prolific!

So no more trees for me! I will close my eyes every time that I will see a new exciting variety, swallow down a couple of sleeping pills and sleep until I forget about that. I will even carry my sleeping pills around my neck just like a Saint Bernard because temptations is everywhere (more so in this forum loll).

Oh Dany will deliver my trees this weekend. Can’t wait!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Amy how have you been your always in our thoughts and so nice to see you back . I'm loving this retirement thing long walks with Sugar when it's not raining or snowing. Lot's of time in the greenhouse squishing aphids it passes the time lol but I really need the weather to warm up so I can get my trees outdoors. Wow you brought some of your trees out , your very courageous lol . It's been so cold here we've had some night time lows of 27F . I won't be bringing mine out to the long weekend in May not that far away. Visa is going to be showing major profits this year with you and Jan lol so jealous I'm going to need tranquilizers funny Amy . Totally with you Amy you can't beat Sumo so sweet if sweet your thing . Amy we ate another Shiranui fruit last night it was so yummy. How did you find the taste of the ortanique out of curiosity. Sad to hear about the few trees you lost it happens to the best of us . Nice list of trees your purchasing Amy just wish someone would have brought in your Valentine Pummelo. Amy I made Calamondin marmalade a few months ago it was so good . I don't know if asking Dany about new varieties is a good thing with my new Pixie coming your fault. There are so many others I would love to get , Seville, Ponkan , Dancy, another Blood orange it just goes on and on with no more room in my Greenhouse. That's great Dany is bringing your trees he's awsome. His busy season is soon to start . Have you talked with Perry? Wondering if he is bringing anything interesting in ? Guava good for you it's nice to try different fruit . I think I will just stick with citrus after loosing my second Mango . Go slow on those sleeping medications lol you might end sleeping through spring and Summer wouldn't that be awful.

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Oh no Brian! It’s one of my worst nightmare. Wake up one day and see that winter has just begun again!!!! I envy Jan loll!!! 75% of North America is under the polar vortex except where she lives lolll. If it wasn’t for the high house price we should all move there.

Oh I am glad that you enjoy your retirement. I have a friend who just starts her retirement too and she loves it. She was worried to be bore at first but she told me that she always have something to do. Plan her next trip, take some courses, go to the theater, the list go on and on! Talking about trips, weren’t you suppose to go to Toronto soon? Lolll... I hope that you will find our must elusive mandarin there: Daisy!!!! Don’t buy any ponkan or xie shan Brian! I will send you a couple of budwood at the end of summer. They just start to grow some new leaves. They didn’t do anything at all during all winter. I suspect that’s because of the rootstocks. What did you get from phoenix perrenials??

Ok I will taste the ortanique tonight and report back on the taste. I still have a craving for some sumo mandarins but they are so expensive. I paid 5$ for 2. Maybe, I need another tree... lolll.. ok I need my sleeping pills right now!!!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Amy I wish that polar vortex would shift to the north of us it's so cold and we had ice pellets today brrrrrr. Amy I was reading one of the weather sites today and they are predicting a very warm and dry summer Yippee. On the retirement issue it can't be any worst than going to work I love it !!!! Lol I forgot the Daisy Amy hmmmm oh no . That's a variety I don't think I will ever get , probably a good thing no one sells it . We are taking a vacation to Toronto this summer who knows maybe someone will have it . I wonder if Dany or Perry can get that one in . Amy I might take you up on your very kind offer next year . I am growing Seville seedlings to graft on they are so small or just coming up , by next year they should be grafting size . Thanks again Amy, forgot about Xie-Shan now I need sleeping pills lol . Love to hear what you think about ortanique if it's worth getting. Amy I think I tried Pixie a couple of weeks ago but I'm not 100% possitive there was no sign but they sure looked like them . If they were Pixies we are going to love having that tree I found they sort of tasted like Shiranui. Have a great sleep lol.

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Brian, funny you should speak ice pellets!!I swear to God you and I are suffering the same stupid weather. It was 48 this morning and I had ice pekkets hitting everything. It's a joke. The warm springs are a thing of the past. I hear somewhere that the warmth creeping up to the NOrth Pole in the west melting the ice caps and icebergs is throwing everything off. That the cold air keeps breaking off and flowing down to the East which includes you and I. Like there is no hope fr nice warm springs anymore. Instead I get warm winters then frigid killing everything I own and then when it's suppose to be warm, it keeps getting colder and colder making my window of warmth very small around here. Much different since I was a kid, since ten years ago. It's accelratig and there is nothing we can do about it. Just keep our sweatshirts out all year and pray it does not snow in June or July. Looks like we are heading that way. Ugh Ugh Ugh!! I hear it's in the 80's just a couple of states south of us, those out of the polar vortex while we freeze. MY trees are growing then stopping, growing then stopping, it's a joke.

Stay warm buddy. At least we can build fires and keep enjoying that without being hot..lol

Hugs buddy

Amy, so good to see you here again!!!))

Coming out of hybernation, right? ha

Amy, you got that right. IT's just not even normal and it frightens me. Maybe that movie will come true. Remember 'The Day After Tomorrow'? Seems like we are heading that way.,lol

As the say ' there is always room for one more" lol. It won't stop. And I would say it's ok to put them out, as long as the temps don't drop to freezing although mine have been out for weeks and are doing fine. They just slow down, then pick up when the weather warms. They have seen hail, cold and warm, and still they press onward.lol

I feel bad for you too. Every time I look at the ten day forecast, I keep looking for hope, and I see the temps going down and down. I don't even know why I lok. I don't even see a 70 dgree day in the next 15 and yet many have seen almost summer for weeks just south of us. We sit on the north side of this stupid stuck front and along that rides these cold waves of drizzle, showers and rain. Today it's very dark all day. It was 50 and now it's dropping again and just miserable. Ugh. Hugs to you too my friend. Let's keep our chins up))

Mike

• Jan
    4 years ago

Brian thank you so much I do love it in there and even though my interior designer mother told me I can’t design a circle around myself lol your compliment made my day! :) lol I’d trade my space to get trees like yours Brian they’re my wallpaper screen for my cell phone and laptop believe it or not lol! Brian you guys are getting horrible weather what is with this random weather! It’s been sunny here for a while now and we took out our trees about a month ago almost! Oh no lol you mean there are new varieties that will come out? Maybe I should save a square foot of space in my greenhouse for a future tree lol Brian I got my finger lime from Phoenix and the wait is killing me Brian lol I’m not sure you or I will make it until then definitely not with Amy around now Lol. Brian oh have Fun in Toronto! Brian now I’m definitely thinking third shiranui lol!! You and Amy are the worst influence lol Brian I so envy you retiring for me its probably not for another 5 years atleast Sugar must love having you around more!

Amy there you are!! We’ve been all thinking about you here the citrus forum enabler lol I would love to see your trees! Lol Amy great minds think alike I knew you were over there buying out a couple of nurseries! good News the house prices are coming down come on over lol that way I can have you guys over in the greenhouse for dinner anytime:) lol Amy Somehow I think our crazy shopping sprees will continue. Amy you are going to love the Yuzu I made this chilli paste called Yuzu kOsho recipe from a Japanese chef that I knew a while back but never tried it until now it is really mind blowing! Can’t wait until you get all the trees please post pics! It’ll keep me occupied until mine arrive.

Brian Amy!! Eeeeek I’m so excited look look!! I think my first gold nuggets are finally almost ready!!! Lol the neighbours will wonder what all the dancing screaming and commotion is all about. it’s not quite soft yet though and the skin doesn’t feel loose. Maybe I’ll leavr it for another week or so.

Mike and everyone Oh i feel for you Guys all further up and inland in the cold it’s been a beautiful week here warm and sunny all day Wish I could share some sunshine with you guys! Don’t worry it’ll come soon I think you guys get more sun than we do normally just a matter of time before all goes back to normal lol

• Jan
    4 years ago

Oh amy I forgot to ask you how the ponkan is is it a fast grower since I’m getting one from dany I want to know if it’s a good hardy variety. Also did you get any fruits yet?

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Oh! Wowww!!!! I love your gold nugget Jan! So happy for you! If only my tree had fruits like yours, I will not only be dancing and screaming, I will shoot a couple of fireworks for good measure lolll!! Don’t you need to protect your fruits against squirrels or any other critters over there? Lol Jan, I have two shiranuis on my tree and I live in fear of them being eaten by squirrels. Hmmm...maybe the squirrels on the west coast are more gentle... Another reason for me to move lolll

Jan, my Ponkan didn’t grow much this winter and it’s just starting to grow a couple of new leaves now. I got it from Dany last summer and I didn’t get any fruit from it yet but I think that I saw some flower buds coming out. It’s not a strong grower like the shiranui but it didn’t lose any leaves all winter unlike my meyer lemon. I suspect that is the kind of tree that slow down with cold temperature and pick up when the temperature rises.

Mike lolll! Don’t scare me!! I don’t want any snow in june or july!!! Isn’t it ironic that temperature is rising everywhere except here! I was daydreaming that one day I can grow my citrus outdoor just like our friends on the west coast but I think that it’s impossible now! On the bright side, we will have a beautiful weekend and I will try to start my vegetable garden!! I think that lettuces and arugulas will enjoy our weather! Mike, my cymbidium orchids are out now. With a little bit of luck the cold will trigger some flower spikes loll.

Brian! Lolll,I just ate two ortaniques, an orri, a gold nugget and a suki! Now,I am so full! The first thing that comes to my mind when I first ate the ortanique is that it’s taste like an Orri but more acidic. Orri is definitely sweeter but both have the same tropical/pineapple/orangy flavor if you know what I mean. The flavor is more intense in the Orri but you can taste it in the Ortanique too. The second Ortanique was a little more bland than the first one though. All in all, I like the Ortanique. Although the Orri is sweeter I think that the Ortanique has a good balance between sweet and tart. It’s weird because last year I bought a couple of ortanique from Loblaw and they were definitely too tart for my taste buds. Maybe they were not in season yet?. Oh one thing you need to know is that is not easy to peel like gold nugget or shiranui. Almost like peeling an orange.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Lol Mikey what's that old saying misery likes company lol. Mikey I have said it in the past you and I have only two seasons now winter and summer, fall and spring have totally disappeared very sad . At least Mikey you have a choice of Hawaii, Florida, California , Texas and the desert south west. Amy and I are heading for tropical Vancouver and move in right beside Jan . You stay warm to my friend .

Jan wow wow wow that Gold Nugget tree is stunning!!! I will have to save that pic . I come here to see pics like that there is just not enough of them . Jan those nuggets look picture perfect and sooooo delicious please let us know how they were when you crack them open . Oh Jan keep rubbing it in with your weather, a month ago !!!!! that's a crime lol. Here snow rain ice pellets strong winds floods what else can we ask for I'm sure you've seen it on the news . What's that old saying head west young man it's now head west old man . At least were saving on air conditioning costs lol. Five years is nothing Jan it will go bye super fast your going to love it !!!!

Amy thankyou so much for the report . I think I've made up my mind no ortanique. I heard that they were difficult to get into but not a problem if they had been incredibly delicious. I've tried Orri they are so good very sweet wouldn't mind having that tree. I will hold off for a Daisy unless Dany gets in a new mandarin variety . Have you made your yearly trip to Flora Exotica yet ?

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Guys, I took some pictures for you but for some reasons I can’t post them. hmm.... what did I do wrong?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

My grafted Meiwa went out on March 15th and saw 5 days below freezing down to 25F. It did fine and its one shoot of new growth was undamaged. All other trees went out April 3 and were frost free. The advantage of growing citrus trees that are most cold hardy.

Steve

• blue bayou
    4 years ago

"Mikey I have said it in the past you and I have only two seasons now winter and summer, fall and spring have totally disappeared very sad."

I feel like this too..., especially with the reduction of Spring. We now go from it being too COLD and WET to work in the yard and with our plants to TOO HOT and HUMID! My weather has been stuck in the 50's and 60's day and night with constant cloudiness, mist, or rain. Yes, it is supposed to warm into the 70's but still WET and cloudy and our Citrus need SUN already! Last season was so similiar, a crappy Spring and a very soupy/steamy Summer with too much RAIN.

But it's not just the Northeast and MidAtlantic, lots of the country is stuck in this rut with record flooding going on currently. The only perk is that I don't have to worry about having to have habituated my plants to SUN and there hasn't been any!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

If fall and spring were converted to summer to give 9 months summer and 3 months winter I would say you are doing very well.

Steve

• Jan
    4 years ago

Brian You saving my picture? What an honour! :) lol Brian you’re too funny! Come on over neighbour! Vancouver would love having you and Amy here :) usually we’re the ones in continuous rain and sleet and snow into late April so I feel you! I’ll let you know as soon as the gold nuggets are as soon as I break into one I’m so excited I think I’ll wait until the skin feels a little loose But it’s killing me lol Oh Brian I have a question for you when I get my trees from dany I plan to put them in much larger pots since they’re the only ones I have at the moment and I know you overpot your small trees too! how often do you water with small trees in such a big pot in the promix?

oh no amy! I was so looking forward to see your pictures im sure everyone here was. Thanks for the heads up on the ponkan I can’t wait until we both get fruit! :) please let me know when yours flowers!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Jan Vancouver you get snow and sleet in April I did not know if thats the case lol. Vancouver is such a beautiful city it's dreamy but $$$$ lol. Jan I can feel your excitement all the way to the east. Spring is alway such a nice time everthing is coming alive new citrus trees arriving at the doorstep especially the citrus lol I know exactly how you feel . Beautiful day here Jan its sunny and 73 F right now 92 in the greenhouse with the windows open. I wonder how it went with Amy this weekend she was expecting a special delivery from Dany . Come on Amy we want to see pics of your new trees lol. Jan I don't over pot any longer I find as I get older I'm not as daring . Funny thing about this is I haven't lost a tree from over watering, ok maybe in the old days lol but if your going to try this just give the pot a nudge before watering if it moves fairly easily then give it a good water . I find citrus very easy to take care of once they hit about 3 ft in height but the new smaller ones can be tricky. Jan maybe over pot one of them if you become comfortable watering it try it on another you will save lots of money on pots .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

OH my God, you guys are way too funny! Well I thought I would stop by to say that the sun came out for the first time in ten days! I almost forgot what it felt like. It will be out tomorrow and finally a 70 degree day, then back to cold and wet again..I am coming real close to moving south lol

Listen all because of you all, I want more trees..lol Thanks a lot.

Brain, I am sooooo happy you finally reached 70 buddy!! Hugs for that buddy! Celebrate!! lol. Are you not happy that you don't live near the cold ocean like me? The water temp is still 48 dgrees. That means that almost everyd ay for a month or so that ocean breeze fills my yard and I freez until about June. I'd be lucky to have t-shirt weather before that.lol YOu should see my fig trees. I have managed to grow 3 leaves on them in since they have been outside for weeks. My Lilac flowers llook like golf balls instead of huge plumes of flowers. No sunshine. And my pond plants have not started yet usually growing for days by now. I don't even see a lily pad leaf.lol Here is a good one. My CITRUS TREES, well they grow, then stop, grown then stop, so I have long growth stems inbtween short ones. lol I'll bet your weather is not as crazy as mine buddy. Are you wearing sandels outside yet? I'll bet in the greenhouse though. Here is my problem. I have to open a vent on my greenhouse even though it's cold outside just incase the sun appears like today. If I don't, it will get to over a hundred degrees in there, but if the sun does not come out. I am heating outside too in thes ecold temps. It's an expensive guessing game until temps stay above the 50's for me by night. Help buddy!! lol

Misery does love comapny buddy. Maybe that is why I like yours. Ha. I wish I could go to those places. I am taking care of mom, and she could never leave here. She keeps telling me she is a true New Englander and she happens to love the cld. Hates outside when it's warm and does not like my yard plants.lol Hugs

Blue, you are so right! I totally agree with you. You and I have to suffer together and it stinks. Did it warm up today? How are your trees doing now for you? Please, let me know)))

Amy I was as Jan says. Oh no is right((

Jan, you are right. I put my Cybidiums out as soon as the frost is over hoping for something.lol We are a lot a like and actually all my cattaleya, oncidiums and a few dendrobiums are out in that nasty cold rain. I hope they like it. I called Aday's Rorchids and he said they would fine. We shall see(())

My trees are acting very strange. They grow then stop. They will not green up because the temps have been consistantly under 50. I am so tired of it. Now another 15 days out I see no 70 readings. I am getting fatigued and so are my plants. Help. Lol Thank God I can roast in my greenhouse with the space heater still running just to keep my orchids warm that need warmth.

• kcandmilo
    4 years ago

Finally catching up after a health scare with my son took me to New York for a few weeks. New York in spring is amazing! Really enjoyed the cherry blossom display in the parks, but oh my, came back to find California flowers on steroids! Looking down from the flight, it looked like paint splashes on the hills! My garden enjoyed this year's rain so much, my roses look like fireworks, everything looks like its out of a magazine! If it wasn't a citrus forum, I would post pics!

KC

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

KC, what do you mean a scare? Is he ok????? Can you message me and let me know how things went? I will provide if you can not see the message feature. Or you can just let me know here. You know you are in my thoughts and you are right, New York has been a lot warmer than here. It finally reached 70 here just to crash an hour ago to a polar front that sent the temps down into the 50's once again with showers. Ugh. If we could only have a stretch of sunny days for more than a day.(((

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Thought and prayers with you KC!!!

Yippee Mikey lol 70's enjoy buddy party on you know down we go again for maybe two weeks. I will take this any day compared to poor Texas and Oklahoma tonight, what these poor people go through. Mikey I hear you Buddy usually our lilacs are out not even a sign of them . Tulips ha nothing yet . Mikey I had the same dilemma when I worked I would have to leave the windows open if they were calling for sunshine of coarse it would be cloudy with the heaters running . Your a good man my friend your mom must so appreciate your love . Hugs buddy .

Brian

• kcandmilo
    4 years ago

Mike, how do I message you? Can you send me your email id, or are you on Facebook?
    Brian, thank you, it was pretty scary, but he is on the mend!

KC

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Kcandmilo, I hope that everything is alright now. My thoughts to you and your family!

ok everyon! I am finaaly able to post some pictures with my old cell phone.... Go figure...

Ponkan

Flower buds on ponkan

oh oups... I forgot to take pictures of my Tango! Coming back soon loll

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Brian, here is a picture of the Ortanique I ate last week but was not able to post. It’s the bigger one on the left.

Ortanique, orri, regular gold nugget and suki. Suki is just a branded gold nugget.

Ortanique was the hardest to peel.

Lolll.. Brian! If there were ever a Orri tree on sale you will have to tackle me, tie me down and here me scream all the way to get it loll! My scream will probably haunt you in all your nightmares so better to let me have it lollll!!)

Brian, I am still trying to find a good excuse to go visit Perry this year lolll. Any help?

Lolll, I moved my trees outside from my grow tent and my sister offered to help me thinking that I only have five or six trees at most.

Well, let’s just say that after that, she came to the conclusion that I must be a genius to be able to fit all my collections in my grow tent lolll!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

KC Glad things turned out for the better

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

K.C, here you go....This site is just weird.

mikerno_1@yahoo.com...E-mail me anyime

Brian, as well as you are. I am ever so GRATEFUL I met someone like you and you will always be close to us. Yur good heart and kindness is not hard to miss and such a rarity. Love you bud from all of us here in Mass. Hugs. Yeah, those poor people. I could take a thunderstorm any day, but flooding and then still snow in some parts, they can keep it. I hear you are supoose to get close to snow again coming up by Mnday again? I hope not buddy. Crazy It's going to be a very cold rain here again Monday. All my orchids are out and sensitive tropicals, too bad.lol Hugs bud.

Amy, it is so good to see your trees. they are beautiful. Just how many did you stick in that place? I'll bet you are so thrilled to let them free for now. Ha))

MIke

• nulesm
    4 years ago

KC so happy for you . Wishing a speedy recovery!!!!

Amy your Ponkan is looking really good , I have my fingers crossed that you will be able to try a fruit from it . Thankyou for the info on the ortanique, I did hear that they were a little more difficult to get into but most times the effort is well worth it. Amy I'm crazy about Orri's too so good thank goodness they don't sell those tree's here right lol. Amy come on how are we going to find out what Perry is carrying if you don't go for us lol. Your poor sister she has no idea what's in store for her lol she will next year . I wish you a huge success this weekend bringing all your trees out !!!!!

Brian

• kcandmilo
    4 years ago

Mike, sent you an email! Thanks for all the support, my citrus buddies!

KC

• Jan
    4 years ago

Wow I’ve missed so much!!

Brian lol it’s true I tell you Lol nobody believes we receive any snow but these last couple of years it’s like we’re living over there with you! Ah I see lol I agree it’s very scary to overpot all I have are huge pots now so I’m a little reluctant to pot up any of Danny’s trees into such large containers right off the bat i might have to invest in a few smaller pots then since I only have one available. if you think it’s risky and you have a much greener thumb than me then I better not risk it lol Brian i saw some partly sunny days ahead for you guys. I hope you can bring your trees out soon I cant wait to see pictures of all of those giant trees :)

Amy!! great tree!! Beautiful! I’m so glad it’s growing for you I see so much newer growth! But yes I agree with Brian where are you new trees Amy I’d love to see them :)

kc oh no!!! Prayers go out to you and your family!

oooh mike!!! I’d love to see all of them! None of my orchids are doing anything :( they’re not even growing new Leaves! I don’t know how you do it! I just kept them in the same pot and fertilized because I didn’t know what soil to up pot them to And they’re not dying per se but they aren’t growing either lol talk about black thumb!

here is a bunch of my trees soaking up the sun I’m so excited to try the gold nugget but I haven’t been dating enough to pick one in fear of it being underripe lol oh and anyone else has a purple baby Buddha’s hand?