SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buildinginva

Tile vs. hardwood - please help me decide

buildinginva
15 years ago

I know this subject has been covered to some extent before, but I would really appreciate thoughts from those of you with hardwood and tile in the kitchen.

My biggest concern is that the kitchen is very open to the family room (and also has door openings to the butler's pantry and mud room). The rest of the main floor, other than the mud room, will have hardwood floors (red oak, medium stain). I am also concerned about hardness/back and knees issues and grout maintenance. In addition, our basement will be unfinished for the next few years and I am paranoid that the floor will be cold (radiant heat is not in the budget).

DH is totally set on tile (it would be porcelain), being from CA where it's common. He likes tile for aesthetic reasons and loves the feel of smooth cold floors (go figure!). He thinks that hardwood floors will not survive the wear and tear imposed by us, our toddler and our cat, and that scratches will be visible.

I would really appreciate thoughts on all of these issues (plus any arguments to help me persuade DH).

Thanks!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH