SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdog_gw

Anything other than elec baseboard to heat a family room

pdog
16 years ago

My wife and I are starting our family room remodel (room is approximately 14'x17') and it is currently heated by two 4 foot electric baseboard heaters. The rest of the house is heated using water baseboard heating. The previous owner said they could not do the water baseboard in this room when the entire house was converted from electric to the water because the room is on a slab (the rest of the house has a full basement).

Since we have moved in, we have installed a programmable thermostat which works great. Now that I am removing the existing paneling in the room, I have to unhook each electric baseboard and thought maybe now would be a good time to change to something more efficient. These units have been there as long as the house (built in 1971).

Any recommendations on what to use to keep this room nice and toasty (other than the fireplace we use on the weekends)? I have seen the electric radiant heating, but am not sure if this would provide enough heat for the room, and whether or not it would cost the same or more than the baseboard units we have now. We use this room a lot, so it has to be comfortable.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio