SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lite1

Advice new construction all elec. HVAC

lite1
8 years ago

Would appreciate your preliminary thoughts and guess of incremental cost for certain features and whether they'd add to comfort/convenience and/or have a reasonable payback for the extra cost.

New construction modern home with lots of glass and west-facing windows; 2300SF main floor; 900SF upstairs. Predominantly 9' ceilings (some 10.5'). Open floor plan from entry; living room; K; DR.

High desert climate in Oregon heating degree days 6926 cooling 151 both base 65. Very large 35 degree dinaural temp change during summer so will have opportunity to really cool things down overnight. Very little humidity.

Quiet indoors and outdoors is important and willing to pay a bit more for that. Ditto for having very good (fresh/tempered) air quality in bedrooms.

Initial Trane dealer I went to was suggesting possibly the following:
Heat pumps

XR17 - 4TWR7048A1000B

XL18i – 4TWX8048A1000A

XV18 – 4TWV48A1000A

Air handlers

TAM7A0C48H41SD with the XR17 and XL18i
TAM8C0C48V41CB with the XV18

There will be HRV from Trane or 3rd party connected to air handler and will use the same duct work for HRV as rest of system.

But since this dealer does NOT qualify with coop electric company for efficient heat pump credit of $750 I will soon speak with another dealer who is on the list.

1) Variable speed air handler My understanding is that I'd definitely want that.

2) 2-stage or VS HP What is ballpark increment of cost going from 1-stage to 2; and then up to VS? It seems that 2-stage might be quieter (inside & outside); and would have some cost savings but not likely to have a fantastic $ payback. It seems that VS is "superior" with matched thermostat provides most consistent indoor climate, is quieter, but the price increment will never recoup its cost. Dealer indicated that VS would be 4-5DB quieter inside and outside; and that he preferred it for a zoned house as it worked more effectively.

And what about labor repair costs on 1, 2 stage, and VS; anything to know about that in making a decision?

3) Zoning Guess of additional cost of going from 2 zones to 3 zones? Original Trane dealer suggested 3 zones:
upstairs; 2 downstairs bedrooms (Master, and guest room/den); remainder of downstairs.

It was suggested to have a smaller air return in Master & Den (used quite a bit during day), and I believe this makes sense even if it were NOT a separate zone, yes/no?

Unlike current gas house, my understanding is that night time set back 3-5 degrees, and thermostat setting difference for different zones is most efficient if minimal (especially in winter as one wants to avoid using the heat strips); so I wonder if the cost of making Master & guest room/den as a separate zone has much $ payback, other than separately regulating those areas and hence greater comfort/flexibility.

==========

After reading many threads here and the input from the forum pros, I amazed at how poorly thought out and designed systems are even from contractors who have a good local reputation. Thanks so much for your input.

Comments (12)