SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tara3056

I've Never Fed a Crowd Before - Help?

tara3056
12 years ago

Hi all,

I've long used these forums as inspiration and as a source for great receipes, and finally decided to register because I could use some advice...

I'm signing up to prepare some homemade meals for families at our local Ronald McDonald House. After a long day at the hospital, visiting their sick children, a homecooked meal can be a source of comfort to these families. The requirements are that the meal feeds 20 people and is prepared on-site at their well-stocked kitchen. There are no dietary restrictions or anything like that. The problem I'm running into is that nothing can be pre-prepped at home, due to health code, so a lot of the standard meals you might think of for feeding a crowd (lasagna, for a most common example) wouldn't work all that well because it's too time-and-labor intensive to prepare 3 trays of lasagna on-site, start to finish.

I want to give these families a "real" meal - meaning mainly from scratch, no Sandra Lee-esque semi-homemade stuff. It doesn't have to be complicated, I just don't want it to be full of processed ingredients. So I'm trying to find receipes that are decently easy, scalable to 20, and "real." I've searched the forums already for ideas on feeding a crowd, but most of the advice is on dishes that can be prepared in advance. Unfortunately, although I do a lot of cooking, most of my meals come together very a la minute and either don't scale well, or need to be served very quickly after they're ready (like risotto or spaghetti carbonara). At the RMH, they usually serve dinner at 6pm, but the meals are left out for up to an hour to allow for latecomers.

I'd be so grateful for any advice and receipes you can share!

Comments (27)