SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Julia Child's Custard (Questions)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was watching one of my cooking idols today: Julia Child, and she made a scrumptious looking custard that I would LOVE to attempt to make. She calls it "Glamour Pouding".

First, however I have a few questions. She used glaced fruits (I assume they're candied?) in the recipe. Can they be substituted for fresh or frozen or even a can of fruit cocktail? She also added rum to them to bring out their flavor. Is there something non-alcholic I can use instead?

I would love to make this for friends and family sometime. It's made the same way as an upside down cake. There is cake in it (she used a store bought pound cake, but a sponge cake would work too she said). It was cherries first (they looked glaced too; I might use strawberries instead) then cake (cut into squares), followed by the glaced fruit, then you just repeat until the pan is full like a lasagna. After it's all baked and cooled, you can cut it or leave it whole and serve as is, but there is a glaze and choppped almonds you can add to it too. The glaze is jam (she used apricot) and a tablespoon of sugar. I'm wondering if strawberry would taste good?

Thank you in advance!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (5)