SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Substituting fresh apricots for dried - need quick help!

Cloud Swift
15 years ago

Our apricots are ripe - so I looked for a recipe that would use a bunch of them and found a New York Times recipe that I had saved that used 4 cups. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I was half way through making the dough that its filling called for dried rather than fresh apricots.

Ideas on how to modify it for fresh? I'm thinking that I might omit the orange juice (or reduce the amount) and maybe add a little ginger. Or I could use all the orange juice and just cook a little longer to reduce the liquid.

Bookstore Cafe Apricot Squares

Ingredients:

For the dough

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup ground walnuts (optional)

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 to 5 tablespoons heavy cream

For the filling

3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (free of pulp)

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

4 cups dried apricots, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup sugar

For assembly

Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions:

For the dough: Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nuts (if using) in a food processor. Add the butter and shortening; pulse several times to make a mealy mixture. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and cream (start with 4 tablespoons, then add 1 more if necessary); pulse to form a very soft dough. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead gently until firm but soft. Divide into equal halves and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate half of the dough for 1 hour and place the other half in the freezer for at least 1 1/2 hours.

For the filling: Combine the juices, dried apricots and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until the fruit has softened. Let cool for about 15 minutes and then transfer to the bowl of a food processor and puree; the filling will be thick. Let it cool for about 20 minutes, then cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until ready to use.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking oil spray; place the pan on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet to promote even baking.

Press the refrigerated half of the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until set and light brown, and let cool.

Meanwhile, use a box grater to coarsely grate the remaining frozen dough.

Spread the chilled apricot filling on the baked pastry base in the pan, then evenly distribute the grated frozen dough over the filling. Bake, with the pan still on the baking sheet, for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top pastry has lightly browned. Cool completely in the pan and dust with confectioners' sugar before cutting into squares.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor