SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
printersdevil

Pillow Arrangement for King Sized Bed

printersdevil
16 years ago

Does anyone have some pictures they could post showing possible arrangement of pillow for a king sized bed? I am at a total loss on this. My headboard is not extremely tall and the Euro sham pillows completely cover it up. I need help.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (19)

• les917
    16 years ago

Do you want the headboard to show? If so, I think you need to abandon the euroshams.

However, with the headboard so low, I think the euroshams can create the feel of a taller headboard area for you, which will draw the eye to the artwork as well as give the whole bed better balance.

If you can put your sleeping pillows in a closet or somewhere else during the day, that is always the easiest. That is what we do. However, if you can't, I would stand them flat against the headboard, then stand the three euroshams in front of them, in a straight line side by side. I am guessing that the two striped shams are standard ones, so stand those in front of the euroshams. It would be great to add a decorative pillow in front of the two standard shams, perhaps something rounded or rolled, in a companion print.

• windypoint
    16 years ago

Do you use all four standard pillows you appear to have stacked up under the three euros? If you only use two, you could put those two under the bedspread, and arrange the euro pillows on top of the resulting bump... this would still hide the headboard a little, but there would be glimpses of it.

• Related Discussions

Shams on a King size bed

Q

Comments (2)
    I use 3 sleeping pillows on my king bed. Usually buy sheets in a set which of course includes two king pillow cases. Then I purchase an extra set of matching regular pillow cases to take care of the third one. I do have two king size cheap pillows that I put in the shams (which are for decor only, of course, and get thrown on the rug at the foot of the bed at night) but 3 regular would probably work better. Where my two king pillows in the shams don't quite "cover" the width of the bed, I place a decorative throw pillow. Tuesday
    ...See More

2 Euro pillows for king bed?

Q

Comments (8)
    My husband doesn't mind at all. (I am every so thankful too). I did not like the look at all of only 2 euro shams. But, my fix was easy. The euro shams were white with a pale green 1" border around them. I just bought a plain white one and it goes in the center of the 3. Unless you look close, you would never know it wasn't the same as the others. And it's almost only us that sees them. Plus I have the 2 king sized shams in front. And, as others have pointed out, there is no rule. It's what you personally like.
    ...See More

pillow layout for king size bed

Q

Comments (14)
    on a king bed i like the look of a 'log' in front but honestly they are nasty things to have to move every day; they can weigh a ton and its hard to find a place to dump them every night that you won't trip over in the dark. like a cabel toss, but without the kilt. mine lasted one week before i gave it the heave ho. my husband would have tossed it the first day but he was trying not to hurt my feelings. we stick with one decorative sham (needed to read in bed) and then the pillows we sleep with. happens my husband and i both prefer two thin ones to one thick one so it all balances nicely.
    ...See More

Shams/pillows for King bed

Q

Comments (6)
    Good greif how many pillows do you want to remove and replace every day . Also how would we know with no pictures . I find all the pillows for decor a waste of my time every morning when making the bed so I have 2 sleeping pillows on each side with a pretty cover on the front ones.
    ...See More
  • susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I would fold the comforter down in the front and stand the pillows up with the Euroshams in front standing up and leaning slightly backwards. Or I would fold the comforter in front and put the Euroshams standing up like a headboard and buy two regular shams to put in front with one set of your regular pillows in between.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

JCPenney has a king size Blue Moon set that looks nice to give you ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Moon $99.99 for whole set with pillows has King size set up nicely to look at JCPenney

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can definitely get rid of the sleep pillows.

The striped pillows in the shams are king sized. The pillows underneath are sleeping pillows and can be moved.

I just found two decorator pillows on ebay that are in the same material as the comforter. Would that be too much of the print? They are about 16 inches square.

I also have two teal colored pillows in another room that are the 16 inch square size. The color is right and they are of a more brushed soft texture with the corded edges. They could be used if needed.

Another option might be two of the brown color from the comforter. I bought one today in this color to see if the color would be okay. This is also in the about 16 inch square pillow.

I can have the two striped king size shams cut down if needed. They just seem the wrong size to me.

Will it not look strange to have the headboard mostly covered up with the pillows? I keep seeing where people are trying to make a headboard.

Les917 the striped pillows are kings. I have tried them in from of Euros and they look weird. Should I cut them down to standard size?

Lynn2006, you said to buy two regular shams--what color would you suggest for this?

Thanks for the fast replies. I will try out some of these tomorrow and take some pics.

Also, are the pictures above the bed too high? What color would you suggest I go with the walls?

• les917
    16 years ago

I think there are several things that could be done here.

First, I don't the the euro shams are a problem as far as covering the headboard, unless YOU think they are. They end up making kind of an upholstered headboard effect for you. What could be cool is to find some southwest themed buttons or perhaps even a silver concha with leather tied through it for the center of each pillow, just to break up all the turquoise and balance the pattern on the comforter.

I think the king shams are probably fine lengthwise, but feel too tall top to bottom in front of the euro shams? Unless you are in love with them, I would ditch them rather than spend money to have them cut down. The stripe is okay, but it doesn't really add anything to the bed. Instead, I would think about a couple of decorative pillows in front of the euro shams, maybe one round and one square. This one on e-bay might be a nice addition, would bring some larger pattern to the front of the pillow area:

pueblo pottery pillow.

Perhaps the other pillow could be one like this:

dreamcatcher pillow

I would not add more solid pillows, as they won't really bring more interest to the bedding against the solid euro shams.

Once you get the euro shams in place, I don't think the art is too high. What I might do, tho, is replace the center one with the dreamcatcher (I think I see laying on the bed). The light frames are a bit washed out right now, but if you go with a darker wall color, they should be fine.

As to the walls, I would stay away from anything too pink, but I would look at a richer brown, like the wider brown stripe in the comforter. A nice neutral like that will work beautifully with the art and all the color in the room. You could consider doing a frottage or leather faux finish to add some texture and interest to the walls, too.

frottage paint technique

Your bedside lamp looks like the shade is too small and perhaps needs a bigger harp. Think about a natural brown linen or other fabric shade for that.

Hope this helps.

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the shade is small. These are lamps that used to be in FR and I pulled shades from another room looking for the right color.

I never even thought of adding another pattern to the pillow. Great idea.

I am off to the vet, but will be back to look at this and the pillows you linked to.

I also have pillows from other rooms that I will try some arrangements of and post pics.

I cant believe I didn't think of adding a concho or something to the pillows. The other RL set that I bought first (it is in the closet) had that on the decorative pillow!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Here is the correct link to the blue moon 7-piece bedding comforter set on the JCpenney site since other link was wrong. I love the set up of the pillows and the color of this bed. I wonder if any of the accent pillows would go with your comforter? I sent in this link since it shows how the Euroshams and regular shams and other pillows work on a bed with a low headboard.

I think I would choose standard shams that have that blue color in them that is on your Euroshams now with some white in them. Then I would put a pillow in between them that picks up some of the other colors on the bed. Or one smaller pillow on top of each pillow that is unique like Les shown in the first pic with a tiny pillow in between the color of the Euroshams. Just a suggestion....

The wall color you have now is very pretty but does not go well with the bedding. So either keep the bedding and change the wall color or change the bedding.

I like the first pillow Les shown also for your bed since it does so well with your theme.

I also like the frontage paint technique suggestion Les had.

Here is a link that might be useful: The blue comforter on the JC penney site since other link was wrong

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This shows the teal euro shams, 2 stripe king shams, tan pillow and a set of pinkish pillows that match the stripe in comforter. These are all shown for colors not placement.

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z203/printersdevil72/Pillows%20for%20bed/IMG_0140a.jpg

This shows pillows with the tan and pinkish ones

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Two different tan pillows with fringe.

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is one of a pair of teal pillows that I have in another room.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z203/printersdevil72/Pillows%20for%20bed/IMG_0146ab.jpg

• les917
    16 years ago

Too many solids, imo. For color purposes, I might try the euro shams with the pink pillows in front of them, both pink ones set on the diagonal. Or put the two pink ones on square and then add a single decorative pillow in front of those. Just for the heck of it, try taking one of the striped shams and folding in half like it was one of the smaller square pillows, and put that in front of the two pink ones.

Don't care for the tan pillows in either version - kind of dead.

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I posted some pics (links because I don't know how to do the pics) to some other pillows. They are shown for color and type NOT for the way they are placed here.

I know that the consensus is that I need other shapes. I am looking.

I do like the SW pottery one that was posted in a link above. I may order it if you think it would be good.

Even though I don't really like the king shams (stripes) I have a lot invested in them and can't return them, so would like to use if I can get something that looks okay.

I have taken pics of several different pillows. They are all basically the same shape besides the teal Euro and king stripe ones. There are two different sets of tan ones. One set is a little darker and then there is one with fringe. The fringed one seems to match both of the tan areas in the comforter. Then I found these pinkish pillows today and they are the same color as the pink in the comforter. There is also another picture on a side wall that has a pinkish hue that works with this. The last link is to another teal small pillow. I have two of these and they are in another room and could be used if needed.

Another option is to buy a small decorator pillow in the matching material of the comforter. However, the only one that I find on ebay is about the same size and shape of the ones shown above.

I could add a concho for decor if it would help.

Ideas please???

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I like the small teal pillow and I Like the SW Pottery pillow also.

• les917
    16 years ago

If you really want to keep the king shams, take out the pillow forms in there and roll them up into a bolster shape (tape them rolled with duct tape to hold). Put the shams on again, and pull the excess back material of the shams and fold and pin in place to hold. You will end up with striped bolster pillows that can sit in front of the euro shams, or even behind them. I have bolster pillows behind my euroshams, they show a bit off each side of the bed and work for me as another layer.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here are a few ideas. I'd create a kind of headboard with your pics by bringing more attention to them with darker frames. I wouldn't worry about covering the wood headboard as it looks Early American anyway. Not good chi maybe either <: o>

• printersdevil
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven, thank you for the mock ups. I love the color of the walls in the third picture. That is more what I thought I was getting. Now to find something like that!

I like the ebay pillow that you dropped in (with the pink) but am not fond of the horses or the throw. I think the horses look too western--for me.

Hmm...a fourth euro. I never thought of that at all.

I am going to play in the morning with some of this and especially with Les's ideas of either making a bolster or a bigger pillow with the striped king sized shams.

Also, I have two lamps in the same dark teal color that you show on the lamp shade in the third picture. Hmm... I have them put up. The lamps in that room are some that came from another room and the color was sort of right when I got the comforter in so I left them.

You have given me a lot to think about. Thanks to all of you.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You're welcome! I was just trying to get some darker values with the pillow and throw -- could be a solid throw too. Maybe you're going for pale though :)

I love seeing that turquoise sing! although that is a lot of color :)

The bolster idea sound good! You can kind of see that effect here.