SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
han1997_gw

replace 16-yr old furnace

han1997
16 years ago

I have a 16-yr old 100K BTU 80% AFUE (think) furnace. Plan to replace with 95% new unit. Got 2 quotes (trane and carrier). Both want to pump condensate from furnace (3/8" line) to sump in basement. I am concerned that acidity of condensate will corrode the sump pump. Only sewer pipe goes through basement, and there are no drains or floor drains.

Is it Ok to discharge condensate to sump and let the sump pump do the work to pump it out? Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

I live in central NY where winter is long (6-mo heating season; 2 wk summer!). Gas rate is about $1.2/therm; electricity is at $0.17/kwh. Both quotes came in around $4,000 installed, for a simple one-to-one replacement [Carrier Infinity; Trane XV95, both with their manufacturer control systems], single zone. House is 2500sq ft, 2-storey, 16-yr old construction. I am not sure which way to go.

How do the two units compare on repairs and maintenance costs? [current unit never broke down or needed repair in 16 yrs!]. Should I buy a 10-yr extended warranty (both price about same)? Trane guy said Carrier infinity has furnace problems with new materials; Carrier guy said Trane is older technology - what is true here? Should I be concerned putting the house on any of these new high tech gadget furnaces? I don't think either did any calculations; they both quoted a replacement 100K BTU size unit.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County