SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scoutfinch72

Replacing two old gas furnaces

15 years ago

We recently bought a 1955 ranch house that we are now renovating. The house still has the original heating system which included separate natural gas furnaces for the upstairs (1600 sf including 2 additions that were done in 1985) and basement (1100sf). When we had the furnace company come to service the units and green sticker them (we are not living there yet), he discovered that the downstairs unit has a cracked heat exchanger and the upstairs unit is 40% efficient. They shut off the gas supply to the damaged unit and now we need to decide what to replace. The tech who came out said he couldn't give us a quote so we are having a few bids done, but I wanted some input so that I understand what I'm talking about with the furnace companies.

Is it possible or preferable to replace the two furnaces with one energy efficient natural gas furnace? Someone who looked at the furnaces said no because one is a downdraft and one is an updraft, but I'm not sure what that really means. The basement has floor vents if that makes a difference.

We're on a budget and would like to do this in the most cost effective way possible. Right now the basement is unfinished, but we are in the process of finishing the family room and will eventually add 2 bedrooms and a bathroom down there. I do see the benefit of being able to separately control the temp of the basement since we will be using it less, but I don't know if we can afford to replace both furnaces right now and it seems a shame install a brand new furnace for the basement and use a 50 year old one to heat the main level of the house!

Comments (6)