SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandca

Miele 4800? 1215? other?

sandca
15 years ago

I am trying to decide between a Miele 4800 and a Miele 1215 washing machines. Both are the same price at a clearance warehouse (almost half the price of other top of the line machines).

I am almost an empty nester, usually sort my laundry, prefer flexibility instead of a million different programs, rarely use bleach. I am concerned about water consumption and energy savings. At the moment I have an old top loader that ticks me off because it doesn't get clothes clean. My laundry room is on the first (main) floor.

Miele 1215 :

• high temperature heater with this 220 V machine: The European voltage allows a water temperature of 90 C rather than 70 C. Is this overkill for getting bedding,towels and white Tshirts white or is bleaching better?

• delay start

• only 6 kg capacity: My top loader probably has only a slightly larger capacity and I've put up with it for years. Do those of you with European size machines regret the smaller capacity? I guess I could develop the habit of washing smaller loads more often but I have a couple of dogs and it would be nice to be able to wash the queen-size futon cover, matress pads and pillows/duvets without going to a laundromat.

• I would probably have to buy the dryer as well (doubling my cost) because of the electrical connections

Miele 4800:

• the larger capacity would be nice (it must hold at least 50% more) but I wonder if I'd be making too many trade-offs in how well it functions and quality (i.e lower max water temp and). This machine has been made for the NA market. Not only do I think that it's been dumbed down but I'm nervous that the build quality is not there. I think that they've had to economize to bring the price down. It's also a new model and from what I have been reading here all the kinks haven't been ironed out. Do you think that the older machine is better?

• It would end up being cheaper because I would only need the washer

• bleach dispenser

Looking at what I've written it seems like I'm leaning towards the 1215 but when I look at it I keep thinking that it looks too small. What do you think 4800? 1215? any other manufacturer?Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments (7)