SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark40511

Help. Duet washer won't start

mark40511
17 years ago

I tried to start the washer Duet HT..It flashes F then DL. It worked perfectly for over a year now. Any ideas?

Comments (42)

• eliz_always
    17 years ago

Mark, too weird... I was just reading a thread of somewhat alarming posts to the epinions message board re. "code" problems with the He4t (basically the same machine as your Duet, correct?)and came back here to post a link to that thread and saw your post.

Anyway, have you tried the unplugging the machine? Seems to work for others sometimes.

"dL" means a Door Lock error and there should be a trouble shooting guide attached to the interior right side panel of your machine. You'll need to take off the kick panel to access the guide.

Here's what mine says about the F/dL code:

A Door Lock Error occurs if the door cannot be locked. It will try to lock the door six times before displaying the error code.
    Possible Causes/Procedure
    -Door lock mechanism is broken or removed from door.
    -Door switch/lock unit failure.
    1. Unplug washer.
    2. Check door switch/lock unit
    3. Check the wire harness connections to the door switch/lock unit and Central Control Unit (CCU).

Real helpful, huh?

Anyway, here's the epinions link I mentioned; it has posts from someone who got inside the CCU and fixed it himself. Someone else had "just" a door switch problem and got that fixed.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to epinions message board re.

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi...thanks for the response. I went to the link you posted. MY GOD! What is this all about. I bought my Duet april 2005. So how old is it now? 14 months! It has worked flawlessly all this time. I was so proud of it. I messed with the little part that the latch goes in.I don't know what I did. But that fixed it.

The thing that concearns me is the fact that if something does go wrong. I may have to wait weeks for it to be fixed! I cant believe they are not prepared to fix it THE DAY OF SERVICE. There's a local number on my Duet door that tells me to call for service. I'm calling them monday and I'm going to ask them if anything goes wrong with my Duet in the future, are you going to be able to fix it that day or am I going to be waiting weeks for back ordered parts like I have been reading on the net.

There can't be this many people having these same error codes. I mean it's painfully obvious there's a defect somewhere. HELLO!

Mark

• Related Discussions

Washer won't advance to drain and spin

Q

Comments (10)
    I forgot to mention that there are no warning beeps or unfamiliar noises but I'm pretty sure I can smell something which resembles an extra hot old iron that hasn't been used for ages. Pydies05, I am confused about your post because that seems to be your only post on this thread. Are you the OP under a different user-name? I recently had the won't-spin-or-drain problem on my 8-year-old Kenmore washer. There was a hot-metal smell which made me certain the motor had died. However, I looked online and found that cleaning the lid latch could solve the problem. So I dabbed at the lid latch with a Kleenex -- and also the hole the latch went into -- and then re-set the knob, and everything was fine!
    ...See More

Why my next washer won't be a High Efficiency

Q

Comments (33)
    Josephine, my Maytag (Bravo X, 700XL2) knows what to do with wet clothes. I use the rinse and spin cycle on DH's jeans most weeks, he can really get muddy. When that cycle is over (20 min) and the rinse water has spun out, I wash them using the 'bulky' setting with deeper water or it may not get residual mud from the inside of the pants legs bottoms. I would not put partially washed clothes dirty into my dryer to only have to clean the dryer. I freely admit he can get much dirtier than average laundry. (I've insisted he stand in the garage and strip more than once. No sympathy from me when he tells me he's worked all day and he's tired, he is not coming inside like that ;)) He's hiking off trail 4 days a week for his work in all kinds of weather through all kinds of terrain. Going through beaver ponds and falling off logs. My issue isn't dirty clothes not coming clean like I said above, it's only the amount of time laundry takes. We were at his sisters weekend house a while back and I put a load of towels in the older Maytag there, got to listen to the familiar sounds of laundry, big grin on my face. And 25 minutes later I was putting the washed things into the dryer, it was the first time laundry has been fun in a few years.
    ...See More

Whirlpool Duet washer won't spin

Q

Comments (1)
    Unplug it and plug it back in.
    ...See More

help with whirlpool duet washer

Q

Comments (9)
    The pattern of flashes on the cycle Status lights is supposed to indicate the error code. Should be a set of flashes 1/2 second apart, a pause for 2 seconds, then a 2nd set of flashes 1/2 second apart. Repeats until power is shut off. Other lights such as for cycle options may be involved, so make note of all the lights that are either steady or flashing. The serial number indicates manufacture in the 25th week of 2011.
    ...See More
  • mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, I forgot. Could someone tell me how to get this plate off the Duet without scratching or denting it. I tried pulling and it won't budge.

• curiousshopper
    17 years ago

Looks like the Duet/He3t/He4t are nothing more than Maytag Neptunes in disguise! Except you paid EVEN more for your lemons!

For you idiots on this board telling people how much money a front-loading disaster of washer will save them, well, you should be ashamed.

• sharon620
    17 years ago

Yes! We do have som problems with our washers curiousshopper but there is NO reason to call other people idiots!
    Despite the problems I have with my Whirlpool Duet, it does save me money and cleans wonderful!!
    Not many problems compared to the effectiveness I get from the washer.

• curiousshopper
    17 years ago

I call'em as I see'em and there are plenty of idiots here trying their hardest to convice people to buy this front-loading junk.

I found this board two years ago when I needed a new washer. Thank God I didn't listen to the idiots here. I bought a Whirlpool toploader and have had ZERO problems. I expect it will still be running when most of you are on your 2nd or 3rd expensive frontloader.

Please tell me again about the water and soap you are saving! HA HA HA HA!!!

• asolo
    17 years ago

Jim96 left us too soon. He missed at least one great example of his complaint.

Yo curiousshopper...glad you and God are happy with your machine. Your information has been so very helpful.

• eliz_always
    17 years ago

Mark, I removed the three (?) (pretty sure...not at home right now) screws for the kick plate on my 4t using a torx bit, size TX20. I remember having to lay on the floor to locate and remove them so you'll need to get down to do the job.

• ddeacon_xaera_com
    17 years ago

I'm having a similar problem with a Duet Washer not starting but I'm not getting any sort of error code. For a while I was thinking the door switch was malfunctioning such that the machine was acting like the door was open but I seem to recall if the door is open and you press "Hold to Start" you also get a couple of beeps. In my case I get no beeps. There really is nothing that happens when I press "Hold to Start", just the selector switch LED keeps flashing.

I've tried the following:
    1) Let the machine sit unplugged overnight and retried - no difference.
    2) Opened up kick panel to check connection on CCU - everthing looked OK and I even tried tightening connections - no difference.
    3) Tried diagnostics test by setting selector to "Drain/Spin" put the spin selection to "No Spin" and then pressed "Extra Rinse" 4 times in less than 5 seconds. Its says C:00 should then be displayed and you press "Extra Rinse" two more times to get the routing running. With mine, after pressing pressing "Extra Rinse" the first 4 times, the display flashes so quickly from 0:02 to something and then back to 0:02 that I can't tell what the interim value is. I think it could be C:00 but I can't be sure. In any event, nothing happens.

Any thoughts? No error code makes it pretty hard to figure out what is going on.

Thanks.

• ddeacon
    17 years ago

Yeah!!! Nevermind. I found out what the problem was on my own. Found a service manual online that showed how to get the edge of the boot off to get access to the door lock/switch assembly. When I got in there, the wire connector to the door switch had come loose, I reseated it and voila!. The washer is working again (and the diagnostics are working as well).

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

ddeacon,

I just want to thank you! Your post here is what fixed my washing machine. Not 2 visits from the Lowe's repair people dragged out over a month (A long time with 2 little babies)

When my husband got his hand to the assembly, he said it was totally unplugged. He just plugged it in, and it started and ran through a cycle.

Could it be that all these weird happenings with these duets would have been just the dl/switch assembly coming loose after a period of time?

Anyway, thanks!

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Hello,
    A common problem for many years is the door switch. I have seen many that were broken beyond belief. They are hidden and not easily touchable, but seem to self destruct. The digital electronics looks pretty, but the connectors are the weal link. To put good connectors would add many dollars to the price of the appliance.

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

Would the door switch ever throw F11's? My machine first F11'd at first - then it just started to do what ddeacon described? The F11's would happen when the machine would go into a rinse cycle.

My husband said that he feels like it could possibly come loose again. ALl he could suggest was using duct tape to keep it in place!!

• babysmaid
    17 years ago

I will keep this post in mind........

I have used a Duet HT for almost a year, and it has been flawless. I didn't buy it to save money, I wanted a machine that was gentle on clothes, and it has been fabulous. I do 2-3 loads a day, and have no complaints. Like all mechanical things I'm sue it will glitch, but what machine doesn't?! For anyone reading this thread, and wants to purchase a Duet, don't worry, the machine is worth the money!!!!!! =)

• dden
    17 years ago

Thanks ddeacon. Had exactly the same problem on my 1-year old Duet (and same response when attempting the diagnostic) and it was exactly the problem you described. I found the service manual here:

https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/0/eab852a13fbc842085256aa200643dd6/$FILE/Duet%20Job%20Aid.pdf

At first, I didn't notice anything loose, then started feeling around and, sure enough, the connector for the door switch had worked itself completely free. Thanks again. -david

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

babysmaid, I do love the machine very much - when it's working!

Watch out for the the one year mark. That's when it seems most people start experiencing their problems with theses machines.

• babysmaid
    17 years ago

lilathabit, I replaced my Maytag front loader after 5 1/2 years. I fully understand the frustration!! Been there, done that! I am hoping for the best with the Duet, and do appreciate the warning! ;)

• mrjms
    17 years ago

Curriousshopper:
    We are not idiots. I purchased a Maytag Neptune frontload washer and drying in May 1999 and have not had a problem with either one. People should use common sense when dealing with front loaders (top loaders as well). I leave my detergent compartment lid open as well as the door after each wash. I wipe out the water from the boot. No mold issues here.

• babysmaid
    17 years ago

I thought of this thread yesterday while starting a load of towels in my Duet. The load was pretty full, still enough room for one towel, maybe. Anyway, it occurred to me as I watched the door move in and out from the towels hitting it, that every time you wash a heavy load the weight of the load bumps the door. I couldn't help but wonder if the door mechanisms don't wear out over time from the constant movement of the door. At the minimum, wouldn't the parts work loose?

I remember looking inside an LG front loader, and the drum was tilted back a little bit, maybe to eliminate such a problem? Just a thought or two...............

Just incase, I am not going to load so many towels at one time.

• andrea2
    17 years ago

HI Babysmaid.
    Yeah, that's a good point about a heavy load bumping into the door. And almost all the problems seem to start after a little over a year of use.
    I will be careful too.

• babysmaid
    17 years ago

Hi Andrea, it's good to see you're still here! Glad to know your machine has worked out for you. Hopefully we won't be on here looking for advice because our machines have broken down. I am sure I will need a dryer in the next year or two, but that's fairly easy. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!!

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

Help! I'm back to square one again.

I'm actually now getting a dL error code, when I didn't before. Went to see of the wire connector was loose. It wasn't, so I'm stumped.

Has anyone re-experienced this problem? ddeacon - are you out there?

Thanks in advance!

• sesquipedalian
    17 years ago

babysmaid

Your Duet drum is not tilted? Mine is.

• babysmaid
    17 years ago

No, my drum doesn't appear to be titled. If it is it isn't obvious to the eye. Yours is obviously tilted? When did you buy your machine?

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi guys, I'm the one that started this thread. Since then, I have had someone come out to check the washer. The first guy came out and it was working fine while he was here. I described the exact problem it was giving me and he said we probably need to replace the door lock. He has to order one! (of course) but thank god the washer worked on and off. I never get and f11..Just and fdl code.

So then the part comes in and the other repair man comes out and replaced the door lock. (now the washer was not working at this point) once he put the new door lock on, IT STILL DIDNT WORK! Still fdl. He took the top off the washer and messed with the fuses or something and so far it has worked fine. He said if it gived anymore trouble to call his cell and even the the Duet is out of warranty after a year, they still cover the circuit board the 2nd year. But that was 3 weeks ago and it has worked fine. Oh and My Duet drum is tilted, I thought they all were..Maybe not. Anyway, the cost of that repair was $99.10. I was pissed!

Mark

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

Hey Mark,

Sorry you had to wait so long for your repair, and that it cost you almost $100, but I'm glad to see you're up and running again. Please report back once in a while if this repair has held up.

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

By the way Mark, did you happen to see what he actually did when he fiddled with the fuses?

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As he was messing with my Duet I was telling him alot of the things I had learned on this forum about the Duet washers and other problems. He said he has a Duet and that his threw an F11 on him once. All he said is that he messed with it and got it to work and it's been fine since.

All I saw him do was take the top off the Duet. And toward the back right corner there looked to be several fuses (I'm guessing they are fuses.) All I saw him do was pull them out and put them back in. But I didn't stand there and watch constantly. he may have done something else. But whatever he did has helped. And I know it wasn't the new door latch that has helped because the machine still did a FDL after he put it on which caused him to take the top off.

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

Mark, sorry it took long for me to get back to you. Thank you for answering my question. As of now, if I wack the heck out of the top of the machine, I can get it to start again. I wonder if I should use some of that electronics contact goop and re-plug in the thingee.

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is still working perfectly! I will upd8 on how long this repair has held up. Again, it was not the door latch, it was something in the top of the machine.

Mark

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

Based on where I'm banging, I can see why that would be.
    Aye aye aye...

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG I must have jinxed myself. It started doing the same thing FDL. UGGGHHHHH. It's weird though, like last time, it won't work at all because of FDL, then suddenly you take a shot at starting it up and it works. I'm doing a load right now. It works great if the door will lock. The guy that was here last time said he has a sneaking feeling that it is the circuit board. he said it won't cost me a thing...I hope he's right since my extended warranty doesn't start til oct. THIS IS SOOOO WRONG! WHAT was the 99.00 dollars for? Is that out the window?

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

ugh, mark, I hope *I* didn't jinx you.

I had that circuit board replaced, and it wasn't the problem. It doesn't mean it might be the same for you.

I'm sorry. OK, I'll shut up now. Maybe your machine will start working again.

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lilatahbit

You had the circuit board replaced and that wasn't the problem????? WHat was it ? I went back on this forum to see if you mentioned anything else you tried and I didn't see anything. You know it's the weirdest thing. My Duet is working again, I don't know what the crap is up with this, but it's working now. Of course it won't start nextt time because of this very writing. LOL.

Mark

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

Imentioned in this thread a few posts back that I had my husband do what ddeacon posted:

"Found a service manual online that showed how to get the edge of the boot off to get access to the door lock/switch assembly. When I got in there, the wire connector to the door switch had come loose, I reseated it and voila!. The washer is working again (and the diagnostics are working as well)."

It was totally loose. DH just plugged it back in again. And it was working.

But it has failed since. But I either just slam the detergent drawer or bang the top of it really hard when it acts up, and then I can get it to start.

So I don't know what is up. It's totally weird.

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah really. we have to bang, slam and slap our 1300.00 washing machines when they act up. Dear God! It is weird! Well the repair man checked the door latch thing, he took the boot off, I watched him do it and it totally looked like a pain to do. That wire thing around the boot, ugh, I mean what is that?

Anyway, my washer failed to start one time since the repair. I unplugged it and plugged it back in the next day, it's worked ever since. If you had your circuit board replaced and that didn't fix the bugs, I wonder what is going on with these things? I honestly don't even think the repair people know.

The first repair man that came out told me that the door latch was out, so they had to order one, I asked him what F11 was, he said thats a drain problem, that f11 only happens when the drain has too much soap from someone not using He detergent. I thought to myself thats not what I've been reading on this forum, but I didn't say anything.

So the next repair man came, a differnt guy, I liked this guy better. He told me his threw an f11 on him, he said it's not necessarily a drain problem and that these machines are so complex that it could be a number of things. He told me what to do if the Duet ever stopped working and the clothes were locked in. He told me to take the boot off and there was s piece to push on the door latch and it would allow the door to open. He was very helpful, but I honestly don't think they know where the problem is originating.

Mark

• corns5
    17 years ago

Hi,
    My 2 year old Duet washer is filling up with water, and beeping an error message F2, and stops running altogether. We have an extended warranty, but they can't find anyone to fix it for at least a few business days. They found that out today, Friday, so either I can get reimbursed if I beat them to the punch, or wait it out. But in this family we need our washer!

Just wondering what could be wrong?
    THanks. dh threw out the warranty reg and all sales paperwork and manual that were in the lr cabs. hes good at things like that lol! Anyway they will honor the warranty, but it will take time. Any other suggestions till we get someone out here. Duet has not skipped a beat till now. :(
    Thanks!
    CC

• mconley3
    17 years ago

I have a 16 month old Whirlpool Duet and have started to get the F11 dL error message. I had a service tech replace the door latch this last weekend. Cost me $150.00. I have a call into him to come back and look at the unit since it is still having the error.

My wife and I love the machine, besides this problem.

• mrjms
    17 years ago

We're not idiots! I have had my Maytag Neptune since May 1999. Not one single problem with it! Not one single service call. It has worked flawlessly! I believe some of the front loading washer problems are due to operator error. People need to use common sense. Just because the manual says you can pack it full, doesn't mean you should pack it until nothing else can fit in it! I am sure there are some legitimate problems with these machines. Again, we're not idiots for purchasing front-loading machines.

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mrjms,

I have a duet and it's not operator error. I have treated this machine like a baby. I love it with a white hot purple pink passion if it wouldn't give the error codes. It will go 2 months working flawlessly, suddenly..f11 or fdl..but so far, all I have to do is pause the machine and restart it and that clears the error and it continues with the cycle. Somethings wrong somewhere with the hetties and duets ALOT of people start having this happen. If I ever need a repair man to come out , do you think by now they will know what to fix? Or are they still trying different things until they get it right?

• mark40511
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well ..............

It's now Feb 23rd.....The banging the top of my Duet has stopped working. Now I get f11 and fdl codes.Repair man ordered a circuit board. I'm glad I got the whirlpool ext warranty. Since a few months have went by I asked him what is going on with these machines. I figured they must have worked out what the problem is by now. He said there is a bad relay and that this new circuit board should correct the problem.

I read on my contract that if whirlpool has to come out more than three times for the same problem they end up buying you a new machine. Well I really don't want a new machine, I just want this one to work.I hope this fixes it because this machine is awesome!

• rebolloso_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

The Duet sucks! I loved it at first but I must face the fact that it sucks! I have had the door problem many times having to take the bottom off and pull some latch. Then another time I had to take half the machine appart and after unplugging and replugging the all the cables to the main board and door latch everything worked but its a huge hasle. Its just broke again for the 5th time and I know that I will have to do it again. My problem is a Fdl and F14 error and to fix it yourself you must unplug and replug all the cables especially the ones going to the door latch. It may only be those cables to the door latch but I did all the cables and it began working. It's almost 10pm so I guess this is tomorrows project. Give me a break this sucks!