SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kacym_gw

Washer won't advance to drain and spin

KacyM
9 years ago

My washer died with a full load tonight. It agitates fine, and I can use the knob to start/stop the cycles, but it dies when it is time to drain. I figured a baby sock was probably clogging the pump, so I pulled and squeezed out the clothes, and with my husband used gravity to drain the water out the back door. Then we opened the cabinet and took off the pump, and nothing is inside. Water freely drained from the hose leading from the washer itself, and when i poured some water through the outlet hose from the wall, it also flowed freely (and our drain snake did not encounter anything). The pump itself allows water to pass, and there is nothing visible inside as it is, or when I turn the spinner with a poking device. I ordered a new $10 pump from amazon, just in case there is something jammed in the back that we can't see.

Bt after not finding a clog, I worry that the timer is broken. This is a more expensive part to replace, and from what I can tell the only way to check is with a multimeter (which I don't have). If the timer were broken, would I still be able to start and stop agitation with the timer knob?

Should I go ahead and order the part and wait until it arrives to have someone come out and install it? Should I hire someone to come diagnose the washer before ordering a part, then try to install it myself or have the guy come back to do it? We need this machine back in operation asap, as we have a baby in cloth diapers! Eek!

Thanks for your opinions; we are new homeowners and this is our first appliance failure.

Comments (10)