SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awan_gw

fisher-paykel gwl 15/wa37t26g softener dispenser design flaw?

awan
15 years ago

Perhaps Dadoes can help me figure out what's going on here.

According to the GWL15/WA37T26G manual on page 19:

"Softener Rinse: This option changes the rinse to include a spray and deep rinse, so that the fabric softener will be dispensed correctly, and the machine sump will be thoroughly cleaned of bleach."

From the manual, the order of events is as follows: after the main agitation wash cycle, the mashine will drain and then proceed to up to approximately ten spray rinse and spins, after which the machine will start the deep rinse. While the tub is filling during the deep rinse, the diverter will switch from drain to recirculate, the sump will start up and the unit is supposed to distribute the softener (assuming deep rinse is selected).

Now here's the kicker. From what I've observed, I do not believe that ANY fabric softener is being distributed by the sump during the deep rinse. The reason I say this is that I collected some of the fluid that the sump sends up during the deep rinse and I don't smell any evidence of fabric softener in the fluid. I've tried the same with vinegar with the same results; no vinegar smell in the fluid distributed during the deep rinse.

I thought about this and I believe what is actually happening is that the softener is being distributed and eliminated during the spray rinse and spin cycle, instead of being retained by the washer and distributed during the deep rinse. From my observations, after the tub has been drained of the washwater, the unit will start the spray rinse and spin cycle. During the very first spin, any softener that has been added to the dispenser will be drawn up to the sides of the dispenser. After 30s or so of spinning, the tub will stop spinning and the dispenser will release the softener down the centre of the agitator to the sump. At the same time, the unit will spray the load with water, then will spin again. This process repeats itself approximately 10 times until the unit proceeds to the deep rinse, where the tub will fill itself up with water. Of course, during the spray/rinse and spin, the sump is active and is pumping out any soapy rinsewater when the unit is spinning. I believe that the softener is being eliminated during the spray/rinse and spin cycle such that nothing is left in the sump when the deep rinse starts up except plain rinsewater!!!

Can Dadoes or anyone out there verify my observations?

I've had this unit for about 1.5 months. I still like this unit but wish it would distribute softener instead of just plain old rinsewater!!!

Thanks alot!

AJW

Comments (11)