SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

Kitchen design thoughts?

chris401
11 years ago

We are building a home and have finalized a the outline of the kitchen design, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice to offer now that we are fine tuning some details like where appliances go, what size appliances, etc.

Thanks is advance if you have some thoughts.

Generally speaking, we are trying to incorporate a nice range top (or range) and have at least two ovens. A refrigerator/freezer combo. And a microwave. And a dishwasher.

Attached is the floor plan for the kitchen. As you can see, it is open to the living space. And the back wall is not huge, so there are not a lot of upper cabinets (which is a change for me). The island, however, is pretty big. So I think we should have plenty of drawers.

Some questions we are wrestling with:
-How big should the fridge be? We are looking at 36"-42" because if we go any bigger, it will take up a great deal of space on the back wall, leaving little counter prep area to one side of the range.

-Range or rangetop? At first, we considered a 48" range with dual ovens, but then realized that was (i) expensive; (ii) took up a lot of the back counter; and (iii) would require a lot bending over. So now we are leaning towards wall ovens. We like the 36" gas range top by Wolf

-Hood: Professional style with chimney or integrated into cabinet look?

-Range (or range top) - center on wall or center between the two columns (fridge and wall oven columns)?

-Microwave: drawer microwave on island? or regular mounted below counter depth?

Thanks again in advance!

This post was edited by chris401 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 23:09

Comments (12)