SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimily

help! Ikea kitchen critique and questions!!! :)

11 years ago

My husband just bought our first home and are getting ready to do a very badly needed kitchen renovation (Yay!). We've decided on ikea and have been working on our kitchen design for a few weeks now.
I would love any feedback and constructive criticism anyone has regarding our design, and i also have a several questions I am hoping someone might have some insight on. Thank you so much in advance!!

Here is our design so far:
http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

Here are the questions/concerns I have so far:
1. With 8 ft ceilings, will we have enough space for the 39" cabinets if we would also like undercabinet lighting and a molding on top? I read on a thread back from 2010 that ikea made some undercabinet lights called rationall that were actually part of the cabinets and didn't take up any additional space--but i can't seem to find them anywhere. If Ikea doesn't have them any more is there an alternative manufacturer that makes something similar? I also can't seem to find the specific dimensions of the size for the cornice? Assuming that the 36" base cabinet height doesn't include the countertop thickness, I think I am cutting it too close? (96in - 36 base cab - 43 high cab - 2 in countertop=15 in between top of countertop and bottom of light rail). Am I better off just doing 30" cabinets?

3. In the peninsula, I would like to modify the 24" base cabinet for a built in microwave. i saw a few threads about this but I was confused about how it was actually done and which base cabinet was used. Do i have the right one? Is it just a matter of taking out the top two drawers out and creating a shelf for the microwave to sit on?

4. For the peninsula, we will be adding an additional 11 inches of overhang over where you see the stools (wasn't sure how to add this in the model--sorry!). Since Ikea only makes the 3 sizes of butcher block, I think the only way to do it would be to use the one strip of 73"X26" butcherblock for the piece that touches the refrigerator (cutting to 48" X 26") and the wider 73"X 39" piece for the floating part of the peninsula (cutting to 53" X 37"). Only problem with this is that it creates a somewhat awkward seem 26 inches into the floating section of the peninsula, where the stools are and people will be sitting. Do you think this is a big deal? The ikea option would cost about $330 vs. a custom butcherblock from perfect plank at about $750 (the custom option would have a diagonal seam across the 37" lazy susan corner cabinet). We are doing recess lights above the peninsula and my thought was that since it was pretty much the center piece of the kitchen we should splurge and do it the nicer way. Thoughts?

5. Do you think it is awkward to put a 36" cabinet and attached fan/vent over a 40" oven range? The oven range came with our house and we don't want to replace it at the moment but are having a hard time finding something to fit the space above it.

6. I'm kind of lost on which filler pieces i need where...I stopped by ikea yesterday but the person in the kitchen section had no idea. I know I need a support between the domsjo sink and integrated dishwasher--is this a "filler piece? Does it need to be a specific dimension? What about filler pieces in the other areas?

Thank you all so so much!!!

Comments (8)