SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

Favorite Sandwiches?

gwtamara
14 years ago

We're looking for your favorite sandwiches -- either to make or to buy?

Maybe there's a sandwich specific to the region where you live that you love? What about growing up -- something that you'd love to recreate from childhood and miss?

I think my favorite nostalgic sandwich was my mom's 'squished' grilled cheese sandwich. She would flatten them with a coffee can (no fancy grill press in those days! LOL). I just loved them!

Tamara

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (59)

• User
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love a good BLT, but they are hard to come by.

Regionally - the Italian sandwich from Amato's in Portland, Maine. I've been eating them since I was little and I still love them just as much now. I do like a good lobster roll, in a toasted New England hot dog bun.

Best one-time sandwich I ever had was in Orly Airport - a baguette with butter, brie and prosciutto ham, freshly made at a small cart in the concourse, followed with dessert - an apple tart.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

The regional favorite here (Tampa, FL) is a "cubano" (Cuban) and it is my favorite everyday sandwich. I remember picking up a client at the airport, as we rode to the office, he remarked about the many signs Cubans $3. He asked if that was an hourly rate--he had never heard of a Cuban sandwich.

My favorite party sandwich is a Muffaletta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuban Sandwich

• Related Discussions

Another Getting-to-know-you!

Q

Comments (41)
    Favorite sandwich - Grilled cheese with garden tomato on thick country white bread. If garden tomatoes aren't available I like plain grilled cheese or with bacon. Favorite color (be specific!) - Red...deep smoky navy...I can't be specific when it comes to color because it depends on the application LOL. Favorite holiday pie - Fresh pumpkin. What age are you inside your head - Somewhere around 38, although IRL I'm 59. Favorite childhood vacation - Long Beach (in Long Island NY) Color of your car - Silver Favorite tree - Our beautiful beloved ginkgo, planted by my parents when I was around 10 years old. Do you carve pumpkins for Halloween - No, because I use them for pies. How many pets do you have - Two kitties. We lost our beloved pug, Tootie, in March. What size shoe do you wear - 9.5 or 10, depending on the cut of the last. Are you sentimental - At times. Watch sports on TV - Go Yankees! Color of your front door - Dark smoky navy blue Age you bought your first house - Our house has been in my family for almost 70 years. It was built by my parents and my DH and I are now the proud owners of it. It's on 7 idyllic wooded acres and is our heart's delight. House number of the house you grew up in - 238, same as today. Sunrise or sunset - Definitely sunset. Do you have a bird feeder - Several. Favorite grade in school - 12th grade, especially English.
    ...See More

Favorite grilled sandwich and pan to cook it in?

Q

Comments (9)
    Cheese melted on bread is one of my favorite food groups! I like to make my own low-tech grilled panini sandwiches to have with a bowl of soup for a light supper in cool weather. One combo is sliced turkey or chicken breast, strips of roasted red pepper, and sliced Monterrey Jack cheese. I spread the sliced crusty bread with mayonnaise that has some shredded Parmesan cheese mixed in, then brush some melted butter on my low tech panini pan: ~ the pan is a small round cast iron grill pan that has raised ridges in it; I get it medium hot then brush a little oil or melted butter on the pan and lay the sandwich in it; to press the sandwich, I lay another small cast iron pan on top of the sandwich which weighs down the sandwich; just lift the top pan, turn the sandwich and replace the pressing pan on top. The results are a deliciously crunchy grilled panini filled with warm meat, veggies, and melted cheese. Another combo is sliced pork roast, sliced sharp cheddar and mayo mixed with chutney - usually my cranberry orange chutney that I make during the holidays. Caramelized onions would be good with sliced Italian deli meats and provolone. Think about classic combinations such as ham and Swiss, cheddar or gruyere, roast beef with Swiss and sauteed mushrooms, sauteed zucchini and onions with mozzarella, and one of my favorites, crisp bacon, tomato slices, and any good melting cheese. Teresa
    ...See More

Favorite cold ?? sandwich

Q

Comments (36)
    LOL I have never eaten marshmallow fluff and can't imagine eating it between 2 slices of bread! I love marshmallows too but that combination .... I love to buy rare roast beef at the deli and make a sandwich using a chewy German Rye bread, provolone or real Swiss cheese or aged cheddar, yellow mustard and lots of horseradish. I really could go for one of those right now. LOL The roast beef is expensive so it is a rare treat. How about making wraps to take along - either using tortillas or stuffing pitas. I make stuffed Caesar salad pitas nor wraps and sometimes add a bit of chicken if I have any left over. If I have any taco meat left over I stuff that in pitas too. Cheese, bacon and tomato pitas are good. I often poach a couple of chicken breasts to keep on hand for sandwiches or wraps. Faster to poach them than bake in the oven. Another great sandwich is a breaded chicken cutlet with lettuce, tomato and lots of cheddar cheese with mayo or Caesar dressing. You can leave out tomato and lettuce if it is too messy in the car. Anne who is wishing she had somoe sandwich fixings on hand right now. LOL Why did I open this thread???
    ...See More

Favorite chips to accompany your favorite sandwich!

Q

Comments (23)
    In Adamstown PA there is company called Goods. They make 2 kinds of chips: The blue box - kettle cooked in lard. The red box - thinly cut and more in line with most mass produced chips today. Most people around here specify the blue box...YUM! As in...."should I get chips for the party?" "yes. Goods" (and then almost as an afterthought, but just to be sure..) "....in the blue box!" But sadly I almost never have chips at home anymore. Too tempting,,,,and did I mention they are fried in lard? Lard has about 5 times the saturated fat compared to canola. But, if f I was eating a sandwich with them, it would be fried sweet bologna with mustard and chips in the sandwich.
    ...See More
  • cookie8
    14 years ago

Clubhouse but made by someone else. I make it too healthy to be as enjoyable.

• maggie2094
    14 years ago

Nothing like NY Deli and my fave would be thin sliced lean Pastrami on Rye with brown mustard, a half sour pickle and Dr. Brown's cream soda. I prefer it when they "fry" the pastrami on the grill.

My other favorite is a Ham and Provolone Hero with tomato, thin sliced onion, pepper, and oil and vinegar! I always get that!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Is a pasty a sandwich? It's all over in northern Michigan, traditionally filled with beef, rutabaga and potato in a pastry crust, the miners carried them for lunch because they were an entire meal that could be warmed over a fire on a shovel.

Other than a pasty, I like tomato sandwiches when the tomatoes are ripe. I don't eat store-bought tomatoes, I might as well eat the styrofoam they are packaged on for flavor and texture, plus I read that article in Gourmet about the slave labor conditions used to produce virtually every tomato in the commercial markets, so I only have tomato sandwiches when the tomatoes are ripe here. As coconut mentioned, warm from the sun is preferable, on white bread with Miracle Whip, salt and pepper, standing over the sink because the juice runs down your arm. It's heaven.

I'd never turn down a real Chicago hot dog either, although that's a neighboring state, and there's always my old standby, peanut butter and Miracle Whip on white bread. (grin)

Annie

• maddielee
    14 years ago

My favorite sandwich is now a once a year treat.

It's called a "Beef Martini" and the creator (sandwich shop owner in Tampa) was my next door neighbor years ago. None of that prepared roast beef, they cook it in the restaurant daily.

For an accurate description I copied this from their current menu on the website:

""Rare roast beef, mushrooms marinated in white wine and crisp bacon slices with our own garlic and herb spread on butter-crust white bread. In 1976 my grandmother created this delicious sandwich. Widely imitated, our Beef Martini
    could never be duplicated!""

The 'grandmother' mentioned was my neighbor, Majorie Wright.
    (Great neighbor! We were always being treated to her 'tests' and various delicious creations...

ML (aka Cathy)

• patti43
    14 years ago

Hands down it has to be a muffuletta. I make my olive salad a little differently than most recipes. By making the olive salad the day before, this is much simpler than it sounds. I use the anchovies but not the lettuce and tomato.

MUFFULETTA

1-1/2 c. chopped green olives
    1 c. chopped black olives
    2/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
    5 Tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley (or use about 1-2 Tbsp. dried)
    2 anchovy fillets, mashed (optional)
    1 Tbsp. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    Ground black pepper to taste

1 round loaf Italian bread 8-9" in diameter (or 4 hoagie rolls)
    Shredded lettuce/thinly slice tomatoes (optional)
    1/4 lb. thinly sliced Italian salami (such as mortadella)
    1/4 lb. thinly sliced Genoa salami (or any hard salami)
    1/4 lb. thinly sliced Mozzarella (I use Provolone)

Mix first 9 ingredients together. Cover and marinate overnight. I don't refrigerate. To assemble the sandwich, cute bread horizontally and pull out most of the soft dough inside. Drain olive salad and brush both cut slices of bread very generously with the marinade. Put 1/2 the drained salad in the hollow of one piece of the bread. Leave 3/4" rim around the outside so the filling doesn't spill out. Next add lettuce and tomato if using. Then add salami, cheese and hard salami. Repeat layers. Heap remaining olive salad in a mound on top. Cover with the other half bread and wrap securely in plastic wrap. Put a plate on top and place several cans on top (on anything to weigh it down). Let rest at least 30 minutes. Cut in wedges. Serves 4-5.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

MaddieLee, Wright's cater my local seminars for years and the "Beef Martini" was my favorite. I stopped in at Wright's few weeks ago for lunch then made it at home for DH.

• Marigene
    14 years ago

Having grown up in New England, clam rolls on split-topped rolls are my favorite. Lobster rolls are right up there, too.

• annie1971
    14 years ago

Cold baked bean on dark pumpernickel. Mash up some beans, add a thin layer of mayo to the bread, add the smashed beans, some thinly sliced sweet onions. Great!
    The extended list would include almost anything pannini'd and for sure the Thanksgiving turkey on white bread with mayo and lettuce.
    Annie'71

• woodenzoo
    14 years ago

It is hard to beat a home grown tomato on a BLT!
    And a Muffaletta is very good too!
    But let's not forget the Reuben and Patty Melt and another one of my favorites...

Six More Weeks Sandwiches

1 lb. ground pork (or beef)
    4 oz. flat beer
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 med. onion, chopped
    1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
    2 tsp. ground red chile
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. ground coriander
    6 soft sandwich buns
    yellow mustard and chopped onion, for garnish

In skillet, cook and crumble ground meat. Stir in beer, garlic, onion and salt; simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
    Sprinkle with remaining spices, stir, mixing well and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more to allow flavors to blend.
    Serve on buns, top with mustard and chopped onions as desired.

Cathy

• slowlane
    14 years ago

Another Muffuletta lover here, especially the ones from City Grocery in New Orleans. And Roast Beef po'boys made with Reisings bread, mayo, lettuce, tomato, dill pickles chip, and tons of gravy.

I love tomato sandwiches and BLTs, and I'm crazy for really well made Rubens.

And when I was a kid (and occasionally now) I loved a sandwich of my own creation: soft bread, mayo (Kraft only!), bbq sauce, mustard (dijon, these days), and slices of whatever good dill or bread & butter pickle I have on hand. Weird, but good!

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Hands down, fried shrimp in a pita with remoulade sauce. Hey I'm from Panama City!

I have a good friend from Buffalo, NY and he positively waxes poetic about "Beef on Weck", but can't seem to find a recipe for it. Anyone???

• hawk307
    14 years ago

HOAGIE!!!

EVOO sprinkled on an open roll, Cooked Salami, Provolone Cheese, Italian Ham laid on one side.

Ham and Pepperoni laid on the other side.

Lettuce, Tomato's and Onions laid on top center.

Sprinkled with EVOO, Salt and Pepper, Oregano,Garlic Powder, and Parmesan Cheese.

Everything is folded over to the center, both ways.

{{gwi:1473623}}

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

BLT, we should have local tomatoes by the end of the month...I finally planted a few a couple of weeks ago.

PB&J is always a good fast fix for lunch or a snack...I've been known to add some chips or cheese puffs for some crunch when I have them on hand for kids in my group. Some weird thing/twist with my group.

Grilled cheese is a fave and I love it with tomato soup to dunk it in. Yes, that would be the canned version unless I've made some from scratch...but that canned stuff sure does hit the spot once a year or so.

Love a good reuben.

I have to tell you that I really LOVE my after Thanksgiving Day sandwich. I love it as much as the dinner the day off. First, I hide some stuffing, from inside the bird, in the back of the fridge. Next, take some good ole white bread, a little mayo or MW, turkey, that hidden stuffing, a little of that canned cranberry stuff, a small smear/spash of gravy. That's it folks. Have to have a good dill on the side (Sharon's now thanks to the forum) and a cold glass of milk.

David

• User
    14 years ago

I love a good sandwich including many mentioned above.

My all time favourite would have to be a meatball sandwich loaded with mozzarella and sauted peppers.

Regionally, the sandwich of choice is a BLT made with fresh field tomatoes and a thick slice of Canadian Peameal bacon, not strip bacon. Oh YUM!

• deegw
    14 years ago

pat t - I was just thinking about beef on weck yesterday! I was enjoying my very own roast beef sandwich creation - deli roll, provolone, big slab of roasted pepper, thin roast beef and horseradish. I would have been in hog heaven if I had a weck roll!

The special thing about beef on weck is the roll. I've lived all over the east coast and have never encountered weck anywhere but western NY.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kummelweck rolls

• obxgina
    14 years ago

A turkey hoagie with provolone from Lee's Hoagies in Quakertown Pa! But since I live 9 hours from there, my second fav is a good chicken salad with tomato and lettuce on a good roll or whole grain bread!
    I did find out that Lee's will mail hoagies anywhere, but I think a lot would be lost in the transportation!
    Gina

• maddielee
    14 years ago

Mustangs wrote: ""MaddieLee, Wright's cater my local seminars for years and the "Beef Martini" was my favorite. I stopped in at Wright's few weeks ago for lunch then made it at home for DH.""

We were lucky enough to have Mrs. Wright live on one side of us and one of the Bern's best waiters (Tony Todero, RIP) live across the street. Many of our dinners consisted of Tony's soup, made with 'Bern's aged steak' and a half of pie from Mrs. Wright.

As a young married couple, we had it good.

Ever since I posted about the Beef Martini yesterday I've been craving one....so I'm meeting a friend there for lunch tomorrow.

ML (aka Cathy)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Shucks Cathy, I would have joined you at Wright's. Lucky you, if you noticed on the Favorites thread, I mentioned Bern's as my favorite restaurant.

• sillymesillyne
    14 years ago

>>The special thing about beef on weck is the roll. I've lived all over the east coast and have never encountered weck anywhere but western NY.Here is a link that might be useful: Kummelweck rolls

deee,
    I had never heard of this sandwich until I read about it on this forum and I've since seen it featured on the Food Channel.
    Anyway, when this new place was opening in Cambridge the Boston Globe did a story about it. There was lots of talk about wanting to do a beef on weck and do it WELL.

Anyway, check out the link to see a pic from the menu. I've no t had one and since i've never had a real one from NY I wouldn't know how it compares, but, I have been told that they do, indeed, do beef on weck well, very well.

Silly

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Eats

• User
    14 years ago

Dee, I use to enjoy the Beef on Weck when we lived in NY State. So good!

A couple of my favourite sandwiches are peameal bacon and tomato on either a toasted kaiser or baguette. I also love a traditional toasted club house sandwich, made with real turkey breast, not deli meat, tomatoes, bacon and lettuce.

And another favourite is hot turkey or chicken sandwiches.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

BLAT - Bacon, lettuce, avocado, and tomato on thick cut homemade bread. And sweet potato fries to go with... Yum!

Lori :D

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Humpty Dumpty potato chips...Barnacle Billy's...Amato's...Clam rolls...Lord, y'all are killing this transplanted Maineiac. I just know I'm going to dream about fried clams (with bellies) tonight.

Sandwiches..mmmm, where to start?

Oh yeah, since I see the first flowers on my tomato plants, I'm dreaming of thick slices of sun-ripened tomato, with Vidalia onions, lettuce, salt, pepper, and mayo on a roll that's soft in the middle, but has a slightly chewy crust. If I'm feeling particularly carnivorous, I'll add some perfectly cooked, crunchy but not singed bacon.

Tri tip sandwiches...thinly sliced tri tip, slathered in bbq sauce on a hoagie roll.

Dry salami on rye, sourdough or home made white roll with cream cheese, olives, tomato and shredded iceberg lettuce. Maybe a few hot peppers.

Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce on good bread, with cold, leftover gravy on one slice, mayo on the other. My favorite post-Thanksgiving breakfast.

Grilled veggies (eggplant, red bell pepper, onions, zucchini, mushrooms and yam) on a crusty roll with garden ripened, chilled tomato slices and my home pickled jalapenos with mayo or an herb cream (cilantro, basil, lemon thyme or marjoram)and a roasted garlic spread.

Ooh, speaking of roasted garlic! Leftover rare beef (tri tip or prime rib), thinly sliced and piled high on a baguette thickly smeared with roasted garlic, topped with Swiss or Brie and passed under the broiler to melt the cheese before topping it off with the other half of the bread, which is spread with an olive and sundried tomato tapenade.

Jeepers, now it's a quarter to twelve p.m. and I'm hungry!

• jojoco
    14 years ago

Summer Sandwich; tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, great bread. Fresh mozzarella is optional. If possible, pick the tomatoes and basil just before making the sandwich.

Jo

• shirleywny5
    14 years ago

Beef on Weck for this NY gal.
    Limburger on rye w/mustard and sweet onion.
    Homegrown tomato on white bread and MW. Hold the lettuce and bacon.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Dee - thanks for the info on "weck". Since I don't like caraway at ALL, I'm not sure I'd like it. However, I do love rare roast beef, so I'd have to try it. Especially with the horseradish!

Silly: the picture of that beef on weck made me drool onto my keyboard. It's only 7am, but now I want one!

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Just checked my email - had asked that same friend from Buffalo if he has a recipe - lo, and behold - here it is!

BEEF ON WECK (KIMMELWECK)

Ingredients:
    Kimmelweck rolls
    Roast beef
    Horseradish

Assembly: Slice a Kimmelweck roll in half. Pile thin sliced roast beef on the bottom half of the roll. Dip the top half of the roll quickly into the pan juices to moisten (not too soggy though). Spread with prepared horseradish if desired. Place on top of sandwich. Serve immediately.

For the Roast Beef:
    1 rump roast
    flour
    1 can beef broth
    1 large onion, cut in big chunks
    salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste (several dashes)
    2 tsp. beef bouillon powder

Flour the roast and brown it in oil over medium high heat. Place the browned roast in an ovenproof covered pot. Add the beef broth and enough water to come half way up the roast. Add the onion. Add the salt, pepper and garlic powder to your taste. Add several dashes of Maggi. Cook roast, covered, at 375 F. until tender turning occasionally. When roast is done to your preference (140° F., rare is best). Remove roast and let cool for easier slicing. Slice as thin as you can. Strain the cooking juices, discard solids, and return the juices to the pan. Put the roast slices back into the juice and heat.

For the Kimmelweck Rolls:
    2 Tblsp. active dry yeast
    2-1/2 cups warm water (110° F.)
    2 Tblsp. solid shortening
    1 Tblsp. sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    6-1/2 cups flour
    3 egg whites, beaten stiffly
    1 egg white, for egg wash
    Caraway seeds for topping
    Kosher salt for topping

Proof the yeast in the warm water. Add shortening, sugar, salt and 3 cups of the flour. Beat with dough whisk or heavy spoon for 2 minutes. Fold egg whites into yeast mixture. Gradually add flour 1/4 cup at a time, until dough forms a mass and begins to pull away from bowl. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead, adding more flour as necessary, for 8-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in oiled bowl, turn to coat, and cover with damp towel. Let rise until double, about 1 hour. Punch down, cover and let rise again until double (about 45 minutes.) Punch down and turn out onto lightly oiled surface. Divide dough into 18 pieces. Flatten each piece into a 7-inch circle. Fold left side to center to form a flap. Halfway down flap fold again to center to form another flap. Repeat all the way around, overlapping flaps. Lift the first flap to ease the last flap underneath. Press center to seal the dough. (If you've seen a Kaiser roll, this is the shape you are aiming for). Place rolls upside down on a well-greased baking sheet, 3 inches apart. Let rise 30 minutes, turn right side up, let rise 15 more minutes. Place on well-greased baking sheet. If your oven will not fit all at once, prepare half at a time, keeping rest covered for 15 minutes. Flatten tops slightly. Cover and let rise 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 425° F. Put a shallow pan on the bottom shelf of oven. Lightly brush the rolls with egg wash. Sprinkle with seeds and/or coarse salt. Place 1 cup of ice cubes in the heated pan in oven. Immediately put the rolls in and bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool on racks.

Recipe from Ray Straining.

• maddielee
    14 years ago

Mustangs wrote: ""Shucks Cathy, I would have joined you at Wright's. Lucky you, if you noticed on the Favorites thread, I mentioned Bern's as my favorite restaurant.""

I missed the 'Favorites Thread' until you mentioned it. I must agree, Bern's is probably my local favorite, too. (Even the decor seems right there. Only there.)

Today's lunch has turned into grabbing a 'to go' at Wright's and driving to pick-up my friend's grandchild from her last day of school.

Maybe we can do a Tampa area get together in the near future?

ML (aka Cathy F)

• diinohio
    14 years ago

A Grinder- made in New London, Ct.

Di

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

Lord how could I forget - for my FIL born and raised in Iowa and my DH born and raised in Illinois - the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich.

• mudlady_gw
    14 years ago

I vote for an open face PBJ on any really good bread. That's been my breakfast everyday for the pasr 60 years! My favorite peanut butter is Wegman's store brand--crunchy. For variety, I sometimes have Marshmallo Fluff instead of jam. If I really want to splurge, I toast the bread. The only allowed beverages are Green Mountain coffee or Earl Grey tea.

• amck2
    14 years ago

Any of you former/current New Englanders familiar with "Moe's" subs? I think they just celebrated their 50th yr. in business.

For a long time they only sold one sandwich - the traditional Italian. Now you can get a variety of options - Veggie, Turkey, Tuna, etc.

I like the tuna - no onions/no cheese. The bread is great. I usually have a Diet Dr. Pepper with it. That is about the only time I ever drink soda.

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

Zingerman's #24 The Ferber Experience: Hot pastrami (lots of it), chive cream cheese and fresh leaf lettuce on pumpernickel.

DH's favorite is a modified reuben. Hot corned beef, coleslaw, thousand island, swiss cheese grilled on seedless or marble rye.

Di in ohio: which grinder place in NL? I live about a mile from NL mall, and if you have a favorite New London, CT Grinder, I'd love to try it out!! (we love Pizzarama on Broad St... the combo or the meatball grinder are our favorites)

reading through all the posts is making me hungry... too many sandwiches, too little time...

• lynn_1965
    14 years ago

One of my favorites is a crab melt. Fresh caught dungenous crab and swiss cheese.

Lynn

• ganggreen980
    14 years ago

My favorite is a good homemade egg salad sandwich on homemade white bread.

I love a good Monte Cristo, and I'm lucky enough to be able to get a pretty decent one at a local restaurant here.

We lived in Kentucky for several years, and I became addicted to pimento cheese sandwiches. The church we attended there (and for which I played the piano and organ) had a going away party for us when we left. I think about 15 women made pimento cheese sandwiches for that because they knew I loved them so much. I've never made one myself because I'm the only one in the house who likes them.

Hubby makes a great steak sandwich with thin sliced steak on a roll with aioli, grilled or roasted veggies, and sprinkled with gorgonzola or feta cheese.

• Lars
    14 years ago

I love Muffaletto, but then I also love Croque Monsieur, which I make more often. I make burritos, tacos, and quesadillas much more often than I make sandwiches, however. I do like Mexican tortas, made with bean dip/spread instead of mayonnaise, made with bolillos, which are common here as well as Texas and almost anywhere else I've been, except for Canada, but French rolls can be substituted.

Lars

• happylady1957
    14 years ago

I adore taking slightly warmed, but still quite rare, leftover sliced london broil, sauteed onions, and ketchup on Italian white bread, with Smart Balance spread on one side, s&p. Not sophisticated, but delish!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Maryland crabcake on a good roll.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I rarely eat a sandwich now and my DH never does, although he has open-face bread slices topped with German wurst or cheese.

So I would say my favourites are tuna, lettuce & mayonnaise on soft wholegrain bread, BLT, grilled cheese, lettuce, tomato & mayonnaise.

But regional sandwiches here in Spain are the bocadillos, made with short, crusty baguettes, with anything from a thin steak to a spanish potato omelette (tortilla Española) inside.

When purchased at bus stations, airports and fairgrounds, they are invariably without butter or sauce of any kind so you have to be prepared to have a soft drink or water bottle at hand to help them go down.

Here I had spent a morning without breakfast photographing an early fiesta event and when overcome by hunger pangs, bought a 'bocadillo de tortilla'...potato, egg and onion omelette inside a crusty roll. (Again, no butter or mayonnaise.) But good when you have an appetite. It's very filling!

SharonCb

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Sharon:
    I'll take just the Crusty Roll with Butter and cup of Coffee.

Tamara:
    I think you said " Sandwiches ". I forgot the Philly Cheesesteak.
    Didn't put the Cheese on yet. Use your imagination.
    LOU

Does Barbecued Pork Tenderloin Soulvaki, in a Pita, with Onions, Garlic,and chopped Peppers,
    marinate,count as a Sandwich?????

• mst___
    14 years ago

So many of the sandwiches posted here sound delicious. I think my all time favorite would be a reuben, followed by my second choice of pastrami on rye with swiss cheese. But I also can't resist a good BLT made with lots of bacon.
    Teri

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

My favorite of all sandwiches:

Camel Rider - A hearty sandwich, premium roast beef, bologna, salami and provolone with lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, mustard & pickles in a pita pocket. I prefer mine on rye.

Get it at local restaurant, never made it.

• diinohio
    14 years ago

bizzo- it was many years ago(the 60's) doubt it is still there, was an italian deli on Bank St. they were so good!

Di

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lars, I think a quesadilla IS a sandwich, it just reminds me of grilled cheese with some extra ingredients and a tortilla for the bread. I guess a taco would be too, because I consider Indian Fry Bread with meat filling a sandwich.

Bizzo, you reminded me that I need to go back to Zingerman's in Ann Arbor and get the corned beef!

Annie

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

An oyster po-boy made with really good French bread, oysters fried just right, warm bread slathered in butter. I prefer butter to having it 'dressed' with Lettuce, Tomato & Mayo--although if someone were to give me one of those, I'm sure I could choke it down.

Roast beef po-boy, again on crusty warm French bread.

Both of those are from my younger days, but recently I've enjoyed a local Mexican dive's tortas--good meats on good bread with some avocado as well.

And when fresh tomatoes hit the market, tomato/mayo/black pepper on wonder-type white bread. (That's the only sandwich I would use that 'baloon' white bread for, except maybe for a grilled cheese sandwich made for someone recovering from illness.)

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

thanks Di... they probably aren't still there. It's changed so much just in the last 5 years! But the Grinder's in the area still are good!!

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

Think one of the easy tasty hunger stoppers for me is just plain old deli ham and swiss on toasted onion bagel with butter, then zapped in the microwave a quick moment to warm or heat the ham/cheeze.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Fry a chicken breast with a crispy outer coating. Slice very thin. Place on thin cooked pizza dough along with some romaine and rocket, roasted red pepper, crispy prosciutto and any good dressing such as roasted red pepper dressing.

The best sandwiches are made with thin pizza dough cooked as if it were a pizza.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Yum, Beverly, that sounds really good...

Annie